The Tic Tac 500bhp build thread

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTS GAV

Re: The Tic Tac 500bhp build thread

Post by GTS GAV »

I also bought these a few weeks ago from mr2mitch on here they were in the for sale section he mentioned they had next to no miles of use on them and he wasnt wrong the looked brand new when i opened the box big thanks to you dude, i fitted them a few days ago an think they finished off the engine bay nicely i also popped on a new dizzy and rotory arm so all the ignition system is now renewed :D

All fitted 8)

Last edited by GTS GAV on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Heres a few sneak preview shots of the hks super dragger fitted.

I got this a few months back as i love my hks parts and will also help to avoid the bootmount intercoller preventing heat soak the old apexi exhaust sat under the core so decided it had to come off (my intake temps are super cool as is but if i can decrease temps more than even better)

The Hks super dragger back box came with some very interesting welding lol it had a diameter of only 3" 1/4 inches and when we fitted it just didnt sit how i wanted it to, So took the decition to cut off the old section and start from fresh from the back box to the centre section, meaning i would be able to have it sit exsactly how i wanted it to and increase the diameter of the feed to the back box to 4" 3/4 inches :twisted: With also being able to set the feed around the core as much as possible, More importantly mounting it on the right hand side rather than the left as to not set alight to cyclists :lol: :lol:

Im yet to get some decent pictures of it could only get some quick with my phone at the end of the day but think it looks awsome at an slight uphill slant like the supras or skylines have it :evil: \:D/

anyway less chat more pics

I have also hit my 500miles oil change so popped the car in to the engine builders for the change, I couldnt resist getting a pic of the car on the ramp next to the new hks sighn the rep had put up :lol:

So just another 500miles togo before i can uprate my fueling and fit my methanol injection kit and get my motec M400 with a final mapp cant wait

:twisted: :mrgreen:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Stunning build :clap:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Your engine bay is a work of art :clap: but the colour of the wheels and the cf stuff....to wannabe ricer for me. Nevertheless I bow before your thoroughness and determination to make a really sweet mr2!

Respect, Sir! :clap:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Cheers rob mate :thumleft:

And thanks to you aswell magic, i can understand we have diffrent trends in the car scene in diffrent countrys etc, Over here this is far far from ricer imho, The reason i went for the wheel colour is to be diffrent to others i like to think out the box stray away from the norm and do some out their stuff to make it unique, the reason i went for the bright colour as a big influence to my build has been from the drift scene here in the uk, japan and the states, i love thier out there liverys and bright in your face wheels, i can understand they may seem a bit out of place on there at the moment but wait as it will all come together very soon :D i have other things to tie in with the orange the roll cage is goin to be the same colour aswell as some other bits im not letting out the bag just yet, the reson i fitted the carbon fibre is weight reduction it is super light and at the same time keeping the car very strong an ridged, over here carbon fibre is as ffffffffffffaaaarrrrrrrrrr away from rice as you can get.

My deffinition of rice is, Lambo doors, flip paint, dvd screens everywere, and a massive massive spoiler dragon stickers down the sides with a touch of under car neons haha, dont take this as the wrong way dude i wasnt having a rant or anything, i dont mind hearing peoples views good or bad thanks for posting :)

Thanks Gav :thumleft:

mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Hey Gav,

I'm glad you took my post as it was meant :D It certainly wasn't a criticism of anything you have done to tyour car. It was purely my thoughts :) To be honest I don't think the scene here is in any way different. People here do the CF and bright wheel drift look too :thumleft: I'm oldschool in that respect :D

Carbon fibre used to be techy, but with the increasing popularity of the border hood (something I will never fathom :D :D ) and the mass of useless crap being made in carbon or carbon laminate I find it more like fluffy dice or stickers on fenders :whistle: - No hittiing now!! [-X :lol:

On a side note: With the TMIC setup you have and the air being forced through the trunk I would be interested to see what the air pressure is in the trunk at normal motorway speeds. I think it might even be a bit restrictive :-k Any thoughts on this?
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Dont worrie dude i dont reall take offence buddy all views are welcome :thumleft:

Arr so your and old school jdm type of guy now i understand why your not to keen on it.

Im also very into the old school look just not with the mr2 i like to think out the box with it and do things out of the ordinary.

When i come to break the mr2 it will so i can get one of my dream jdm old school motors, the carrolla AE86 levin, the 3S engine will be goin in the 86 but i will be keeping it old school, interior will be stripped and caged :mrgreen:

haha i love the way you put things magic you have as way with words well some may say techy i say it looks sexual :lol:

To be hounest with the size of the hole cut in the boot floor and with the two side vents (with help from the carbon fibre :lol: add ons) it does more than a good enough job of keeping intake temps to a min, and remember i have water injection kit going on aswell so will help keeping things extra cool, looking to fit a bootmounted pwr large chargecooler but still toying with more idea's :thumleft:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

UPDATE

With most of the things done now i decided to crack on with the safety apsect of things. I popped over to corbeau factory wich is only down the road for me, the manager mark kindly donated me 6 stess plates for my 5 point driftworks harnesses big thanks to him, i decided to stick with the dw set instead of the takata's as to keep the colour scheme.

On my return from the factory i logged on here to see a cusco 6 point rollcage for sale, perfect timing so 3 texts and a day later i had the cusco cage in possession, It has added strut bars on the rear and on the passengers side, big thanks to tim earp for driving 5hours to deliver it to me :thumleft:

After test fitting it, it accured to me that with the bars being to close my head etc padding would need to be fitted as the cage could do me more damage in an accident then the crash would when used on the road with out a helmet, so saved my self some money on spraying it orange, i sourced some high density FIA approved padding in orange from speedwaymotors.com so will be fitting them as soon as they turn up.

Pics enjoy :thumleft:

After fitting the cage etc i refitted the bride firewall carpet and it just looked to much so decided to revert it back to standard to look how it was intendid a track car.

All fitted

Only 250 more running in miles todo, then i can fit my fueling bits injectors rail pumps lines etc, i am also swapping my apexi power fc in favour of a syvec S6 supplied and mapped by ryan at 2bartuning, reasons being is the lack of safety features (knock control etc) the apexi has being so dated, i also want to run wideband and do away with the stock o2 sensor wich the apexi cant do.

I was originaly goin to be fitting a motec m400 but with the Motec you have to pay twice the price to get even close to everything the Syvecs has, heres some of the reason i am goin Syvec now instead

The MoTeC unit has a good hardware setup but I feel the software lacks even compared to an AEM. Like no Knock control built in (requires external box), Large changes cause the unit to reset due to memory allocation designs, Map Cut has a 1SEC delay as standard! which can be the difference between 1.4bar and 2bar of boost. (This is terrible as it should be Milliseconds like the S6), No ability to be able to change the map through graphical view. Interpolation tasks are basic and most things you need to pay extra for.

Extra Features which also boost the S6 product

- Full Traction control which is miles ahead of RLTC or Motec, Uses steering angle or Lateral G based sensor against road speed of each wheel to measure slip. Then retards timing or cuts fueling to create missfire to compensate. But in retarding timing it watch’s EGT levels and compensates for that if goes above preset. Levels of slip can then be changed in the cabin through Cal switch which has 8 positions.

- Knock control as standard which monitors every cylinder. If one cylinder starts becoming really noisy all of the sudden due to say a valve or injector issue it will shut it down :)

- Full DBW support with added blip features on changing down etc

- Full Quad cam VVTI control

- Internal Datalogging (which you don’t have to pay extra for lol)

- Full Closed loop Lambda with sensor failure sensing.

- Full Closed loop Boost control (best i have seen)

- Sensor failure or other parameters will causes limp home mode

- Engine trips and warm up limps

- Full nitrous or water injection table

- 8 Position cal switch to set different levels of boost, anti-theft mode, Valet limiter for the likes of MOTs etc, 4 switchable maps on the fly for fuel and ign and lots more.

Going into the engine trip and warm up limps more. The S6 has lots of inputs for the likes of EGT sensor, oil pressure , oil temp etc. With each sensor you can set trips and limp. I.e on Oil Pressure i set the engine not to start until oil pressure is seen and if it drops below a set value while the engine is running to cut engine.
Another one i use on all the TVRs that run S6's is not allow the engine to go above 3500rpm until the oil temp is above 60c. All these features is what has made the high power supra world and most of the time attack cars far more reliable.

Look out in the for sale section soon for people looking to buy an apexi pfc with hand commander :thumleft:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Gav, are those door bars a b1tch to get past when getting in the car? They look very high!

Car looks great though.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Hey mate thanks for the kind words , wich ones do you mean bud the ones that dodge the dash or do you mean the passenger side bar?

Im gathering you mean the passenger side bar, well the previous owner tim used it in his drag mr2 that was due to enter the hks drag series, they specified it had to have extra supports to be fia approved, i.e the reason for the rear and side supports, when the pics were taken the side bar was fixed into place with nuts and bolts, since then i have invested in some quick release bolts basicly a bolt goin through the bar with a ring attatched, with a spring on the inside alllowing you to pull it to release the bar then snap back for install again takes 2secs :) but if used on the road you could just leave tha bar out.

Bair in mind tho this isnt an everyday type of car when run in it will be mostly used for track days and the strip, the odd blast late at night :twisted: :lol: so easy acces isnt a major issue for me, at a later date will have some x braces either side then i can imagen its goin to be a pain to get in and out, but again i will have these so they can come on and off with ease so no biggie

bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Quick release system sounds like a good idea!! Will look great when it's orange too!
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

cheers dude, yeah looking foward to the orange padding turning up will highlight the cage in the cabin a bit more aswell cant be a bad thing :D

Rob B

Post by Rob B »

The interior is just like the rest of the car...PERFECT

Top job :clap: :clap: :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Gav, isnt that cage for a left hand drive car?
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Cheers rob mate :), unsure michael It was originally a cusco 6point item but somewere along the lines someone has added extra supports now believed to be a yank, either way its still good for my neads, kind of glad that the rear bar goes from top left to bottom right as the bottom joint comes out slightly which means you have to have the seat further forward than normal atleast I'm the one that's not cramped lol :)

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Time for an update

just been finishing the loose ends up before its run in and fully mapped, and also featured

Got this trick stock car net in orange thort it was a nice touch atleat that way i can have the window open when on the track and no fear of being speared by something lol

quick test fit

lots of stuff orderd turbo blanket new ecu, having the dash and steering wheel flocked, and still have to fit my tow hooks front splitter and meth kit and alot of other things irl remember at some point lol

My orange fia aproved padding come through a few weeks ago so fitted that, wich saved me some money on having the cage sprayed and will also prottect my head in a crash on the roads, and also got round to fitting m y crotch straps, i like them they keep my junk in check

Pics

With this weather being so damn cold and not wanting to risk getting frostbite it prevented me from cracking on with the main bits i needed to get finished, so decided to use up some of the bride fabric i had left, and made this in an evening after work.

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

My nokya yellow bulbs from japan showed up today so popped out and fitted them with the bride gear gator i made the other night, just orderd some vans light tint spray from japan to tint the glass itself should tie in with the colour scheme

old blue and one new yellow nokya

Rob B

Post by Rob B »

that things lookin sh*t hot without doubt one of the best Mr2s around :clap:
craig

Post by craig »

Absolutely stunning mate! =P~ :thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Chuffin Hell Gav, this thing is looking awesome!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3

Return to “Project Cars”