Building my track car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shmed

Re: Building my track car.

Post by Shmed »

I thought that the suspension also had to be supplied (and maybe even fitted) by Rogue too.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

it does have to be purchased from them i believe. But i'm still not sure i'm ready for the jump into full racing.

I've just bought tricksters GT3076 turbo, so the build might be even longer now. To get the best from it i want to forge the bottom end and upgrade the fuelling. So it might just stay a trackday toy rather than a competition car due to track days being slightly less risky for damage.

Who knows what'll happen.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Happy modding, it's quite infectious! :)

Only thing I have learned is to plan what the car will be used for before you get started. I ruled my current build out of the MR2 championship by picking the gt3076, too much power unless I de-tuned it (or stck loads of ballast in), but either way I'd have too much lag I reckon.

I also put my car straight into the A1 category if the TSS was your bag, which is possibly the most expensive category to meet all the regs.

If it's just track fun you're after though, just play an enjoy! Not sure what you really need to do duelling wise though, injectors and walbro should be enough for the gt3076 from what I've learned.....
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Yeah i think some 800cc injectors will be fine.

Then decide on which engine management to use? :-k
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

bri0905 wrote:Yeah i think some 800cc injectors will be fine.

Then decide on which engine management to use? :-k

Yep, I've just got 800's, walbro and rev 3 rail. Should be fine up to mid 400's. I went PFC, but would've quite liked the Link so I could do Coil on plug. Not the end of the works though. Think the Link is more than PFC.

Can't wait to get it mapped and drive it! I'll be watching your thread with interest :thumleft:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

End of the works means end of the world.... iPhone......
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Does the std fuel rail get restrictive after 400 ish?

I'd like to go link management but it will depend on cost. Power fc's can be had for £500 occasionally which is a lot less. Link is about 1k isn't it?
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm no expert on actual figures obtained on the stock rail, but I think Steve Horrocks did mid to high 400's on stock rail. I know rev 2 rails are restrictive before 400, but that's irrelevant :)

I got my PFC for £550 and it does me fine, others swear by their brands too though. Ask Ryan g (and you'll land up with a Syvecs and a second mortgage :))
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Sadly now for sale.

In the mr2s for sale section.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

So, it's been a while since my last post in here.

Once I listed the car for sale, had some interest but being the beginning of January no-one serious enough to buy.

Then when I was in for my weekly coffee with my friend, who is a mechanic with his own business, we were talking about the situation and he said he was interested. He's into his rallying and competes regularly in the BTRDA 1400's.

He bought the car for the asking price from me on the understanding that I would have to continue storing the car and would also have the opportunity to purchase the car back at the same price paid when things improved for me.

So after sale the car sat for about a year (till early 2014) under cover with nothing being done to it. We then booked an airfield day at hullavington earlier this year to get a run out in it and see where we should go next with improvements. Before the track day I built a front end flat floor, just the piece under the frunk to aid in forcing air through the rad and out through the ask sport bonnet. I also completed the screamer pipe and fitted a new tial 38mm external wastegate as the one I had was awful and the boost was all over the place.

After this we decided that to make the most of the 3076r We need to upgrade the motor. Bear in mind the car is currently running std unopened rev 3 block with a charge cooler and std ecu. So only running around .9 bar is a waste of a great turbo.

Martinf comes to save the day twice this year. Earlier this year We bought from him a set of 800 injectors and a link g4 ecu. This week we got from him a forged bottom end which supposedly has forged rods and pistons, upgraded bearings and arp bolts. Yet to confirm the exact spec on strip down.

Also waiting on the arrival of a ported and polished head with piper 285 cams and hks pulleys from a seller on here. He also did us a good deal on an rmr intake manifold with 75mm throttle body. Great having a friend share ownership of the car, shared tuning costs also!

So all in all it should be a busy winter for us!
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!

Return to “Project Cars”