[Mk2] [Generic] Eibach Springs ... with standard struts?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

[Mk2] [Generic] Eibach Springs ... with standard struts?

Post by HighwayStar »

Howdy all, hoping this finds you well.

I recently (2 years ago now) refreshed all my front suspension with genuine Toyota bits other than the top mounts (TRD) and the springs ('standard' replacements from TCB since Toyota apparently just don't make them anymore).

In due course and probably now next year I intend to redo all the rear suspension but since the car is a little high at the front now with new springs that haven't drooped through 30 years of pressure I'm considering going with Eibachs. If so I'd obviously put them on the front too.

My question is to anyone who's tried this combo of the slightly lower Eibach springs with standard struts is of course how it works together?

My other options are firstly to likewise go 'standard' on everything on the rear including the springs (through TCB again as again I don't think Toyota make them anymore) or secondly to stay with Eibachs but perhaps match them to Black Billies (in which case I'd really have to change the front springs and struts to match... an expensive exercise considering how recently they've been done).

I'd only want to do this if the Eibachs don't go well with the standard struts so basically I'm asking for the advice of those that know.... Do the Eibachs work well with standard but genuine Toyota struts? Do they work better with different struts?

As ever many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Cheers
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Eibach Springs ... with standard struts?

Post by Race Idiot »

A bit old but I think you'll just shorten the life of the oem struts as shortening the throw of the dampers does odd things to them. The yellow billies are designed to work with lowering springs.

The uk spec struts are pretty softly damped compared to the black and yellow billies.

Do your current struts have the hex head where the shock comes out of the body? If they do I'd pull out the oem inserts and go with Koni's as honestly they were probably the best riding shocks I've used. I'd go for another set but after I destroyed a set of coilovers I went back with yellow billies.
BillyDS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Eibach Springs ... with standard struts?

Post by BillyDS »

Race Idiot wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:17 pm
A bit old but I think you'll just shorten the life of the oem struts as shortening the throw of the dampers does odd things to them. The yellow billies are designed to work with lowering springs.

The uk spec struts are pretty softly damped compared to the black and yellow billies.

Do your current struts have the hex head where the shock comes out of the body? If they do I'd pull out the oem inserts and go with Koni's as honestly they were probably the best riding shocks I've used. I'd go for another set but after I destroyed a set of coilovers I went back with yellow billies.

That is what just happened to my friend's new MK2 project. We think the struts are shot. We'll just finish installing the bumper and suspension lift kit on the Jeep before we can clear the garage and take a closer look.

Return to “Modifications”