[Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitment with Struts Vs Coilovers help?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juliankv73

[Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitment with Struts Vs Coilovers help?!

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

Havent been on the forums properly for a good few years since selling my modded Rev5 turbo to Shanemr2 (which he sold recently lol).

I have a SW20 1mzfe V6 mr2 fitted with Desmond Wise wheels on:
17x 8j ET35 and 9J ET 38 with the Tein coilovers.

I've been fancying some different JDM wheels 8J front and 9 J rear, but there isn't much choice JDM wheel wise.

I'm stuck as the only wheels I can find or are being offered to me are 8.5j and 9.5j (or bigger) by the various JDM wheel importers

I could fit OEM Struts to open up choice for wheels.

TEIN Flex Coilovers- Can I fit 8j or 8.5j on front? Will 9j or 9.5+j fit on rear?

and

OEM Struts- Can I fit 8j or 8.5j front and rear 9j, 9.5j or 10j rear etc??

I'm well out of touch on what fits what, but need some help.

I read Spacemans sticky on MR2OC.co.uk :-

17x8 ET35 215/40/17 front
17x9 ET35-ET38 245/35/17 or 245/40/17 or 255/40/17(may rub the arches depending on offset and ride height) back

Coilovers

This is where the fun starts

where as with normal struts the spring seats are above the wheel/tyre, with coilovers the spring, although a lot thinner than normal, runs down past the wheel/tyre giving less room for the wheel/tyre.

Common setup's that work with coilovers without spacers or arch work (coilovers vary depending on model so something that works on one type may not work on another)

17x8 ET32-ET33 215/40/17 front
17x9 ET38 245/35/17 or 245/40/17 back

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of where to look?

PS If anyone has any decent 17" JDM wheels, PM me pls :)

Last edited by juliankv73 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitment with Struts Vs Coilovers help?!

Post by Race Idiot »

Can't help much with the offset as when I was running coilovers I was on 16's which were 7.5j +29 and the clearance between the wheel and the strut was pretty low.

Low enough that on track bumping a kerb hard pushed the tyre into the coilover leaving a nice gouge in the sidewall.

8.5j and 9.5j fit +35 fit perfectly on my normal struts as that what I have now.

I've already bought another set of wheels, but before that I was toying with buying a set from https://www.croooober.com/en/

You can search for exact offsets and widths. Theres quite a bit available for reasonable prices mostly, only problem is that shipping is quite expensive.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Race Idiot wrote:8.5j and 9.5j fit +35 fit perfectly on my normal struts as that what I have now.

I've already bought another set of wheels, but before that I was toying with buying a set from https://www.croooober.com/en/

You can search for exact offsets and widths. Theres quite a bit available for reasonable prices mostly, only problem is that shipping is quite expensive.

Ah thats what I was wanting to confirm. So if I ditch the coilovers, I could go 8.5j up front ET35 and 9.5j rear ET 35.

What springs do you have on your struts? Im thinking poss spax as good balance between lowering and response.

Thats the thing, there are so many combo's with 8.5j and 9.5j etc, so now that opens my options much more. Sticking to the Teins (even though I love them, limits my options, so back to stock-ish is the way :-k )

Any pics of your wheels, did you roll your arches or any other mods??
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've got a roll on the rear, but I recon you could get away with running a 235 instead of a 245

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9wrohyHM9O ... _copy_link

You can see my old and new setups, I honestly don't know what springs I'm on but it's not a massive drop. Although I'm happy with how it looks and it's comfortable enough anyway.

Return to “Modifications”