[Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler for 400hp

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler for 400hp

Post by rossonza »

hey guys, decided im going to go charge cooler for my ~400hp forged build.

Is the gt4 charge cooler any good? or is there a better aftermarket option?

Appreciate the input

thanks
Ross. :thumleft:
Rory

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler for 400hp

Post by Rory »

Good question - I'd like to know the answer too - Maybe this is a better question for the gt4 groups.
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I mean I know the word was always that the 205CC was only good for 350bhp, but that was years ago and I don't think I ever saw any dyno charts.

Maybe one day I'll see what it can make on my weird ass Blitz turbo if I ever get around to upgrading to bigger injectors and having my link mapped

For (relative) ease of fitting the 205 cooler is allright for a rev3 with a standard CT style turbo. But if you've got a rev2 I recon you'd just be better off just going all custom anyway.

MCM did a custom top mount a2w ic in their car which was a rev2. Just wouldn't use that copper piping like they did, I think I just used a load of automotive grade coolant hose for mine but its been ages.
Rory

Post by Rory »

I ran an ST205 cooler many years back at about 320bhp (fly). This was on an MR2 that's long gone. It was mapped with an Apexi PFC. Cooling wasn't an issue for me.

My current spec (fully forged, gt30 etc) is running a side mount. Now don't get me wrong, 400bhp is plenty in an MR2 for the road or track and I'm not looking for more. But cooling with a side mount at that level is on the edge and I'd like a safer option without going for the boot mount.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

My only experience with sidemounts is the stocker and man that thing loves to heatsoak. What sidemount are you using anyway?

Personally I'm not a fan of boot mounts as I don't fancy having my car hacked up (even more than it already is lol) and I do like the responsiveness that having very little boost piping gives you.

I'd be more than happy with 350 at the fly, on track even with whatever power i'm running at the moment is more than enough to manage. I'd probably just end up running the lowest boost possible on track anyway.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Rory wrote:Good question - I'd like to know the answer too - Maybe this is a better question for the gt4 groups.

i always thought they went from stock chargecooler to front mounts (lucky gits)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Rory wrote:I ran an ST205 cooler many years back at about 320bhp (fly). This was on an MR2 that's long gone. It was mapped with an Apexi PFC. Cooling wasn't an issue for me.

My current spec (fully forged, gt30 etc) is running a side mount. Now don't get me wrong, 400bhp is plenty in an MR2 for the road or track and I'm not looking for more. But cooling with a side mount at that level is on the edge and I'd like a safer option without going for the boot mount.

yeah i always thought id fit a bootmount if moving away. but ive realised the boot is actually handy, and as its a streetcar id like to be able to keep the boot space.

charge cooler seemed like the obvious fix :-)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Race Idiot wrote:My only experience with sidemounts is the stocker and man that thing loves to heatsoak. What sidemount are you using anyway?

Personally I'm not a fan of boot mounts as I don't fancy having my car hacked up (even more than it already is lol) and I do like the responsiveness that having very little boost piping gives you.

I'd be more than happy with 350 at the fly, on track even with whatever power i'm running at the moment is more than enough to manage. I'd probably just end up running the lowest boost possible on track anyway.

ive ran a stock smic, a HKS smic and currently another brand (cant remember) but its a much thicker core than the HKS was and im not getting the desired lower IAT's i wanted. I can only imagine when im pushing another 100+ hp its not going to help.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Race Idiot wrote:My only experience with sidemounts is the stocker and man that thing loves to heatsoak. What sidemount are you using anyway?

I'm currently running a greddy side mount
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Greddy sidemount will do 500bhp. They are hugely efficient. Expensive and hard to find though.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

I run a Radtec Chargecooler, fits in the stock intercooler location and puts a quality charge cooler radiator right at the front of the car in the airflow.

Works very well on track, superior to the ST205 setup that I ran that happily for years. The ST205 setup did heatsoak a little but that was helped by fitting a thermal barrier mat between the nest and the cam cover. That said it was hell of a lot less expensive that the Radtec setup!

Only thing I'd change about my Radtec setup is the pump. The supplied Bosch is a little weedy; even its Bosch bigger brother would be better.

And don't believe the claims that the Radtec is only good for blah blah. Buy a new setup and you get all the lovely new Radtec technology in the nest which really makes a difference. Same goes for the radiator too. (I know this as they are just up the road from me and I went to visit them a number of times).

Boot mount ultimately best for cooling though I'd imagine. Depends whether you need a boot or not!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The radtecs fit really nice too. Same location, shape, size as an upgraded side mount.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

couldnt find anywhere that has the radtec kit......link?

think im going frozenboost if not:

http://www.frozenboost.com/liquid-air-i ... -1006.html

their "600hp" kit....thoughts?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Chumbaside wrote:I run a Radtec Chargecooler, fits in the stock intercooler location and puts a quality charge cooler radiator right at the front of the car in the airflow.

Works very well on track, superior to the ST205 setup that I ran that happily for years. The ST205 setup did heatsoak a little but that was helped by fitting a thermal barrier mat between the nest and the cam cover. That said it was hell of a lot less expensive that the Radtec setup!

Only thing I'd change about my Radtec setup is the pump. The supplied Bosch is a little weedy; even its Bosch bigger brother would be better.

And don't believe the claims that the Radtec is only good for blah blah. Buy a new setup and you get all the lovely new Radtec technology in the nest which really makes a difference. Same goes for the radiator too. (I know this as they are just up the road from me and I went to visit them a number of times).

Boot mount ultimately best for cooling though I'd imagine. Depends whether you need a boot or not!

got any pics
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

well i was impatient, and cheap. ive ordered everything separately from ebay and the items are the same as in the frozenboost kit apart from i got a different pump instead of the bosch cobra. comes this week supposedly..... just got to get some rubber hose for the front rad.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Hey! Only just seen your message - you're welcome to take a look :thumleft:

Although it might be too late now...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rossonza wrote:well i was impatient, and cheap. ive ordered everything separately from ebay and the items are the same as in the frozenboost kit apart from i got a different pump instead of the bosch cobra. comes this week supposedly..... just got to get some rubber hose for the front rad.

Ebay stuff will do the job no bother. As long as it's not a barrel type core as they are an absolute waste of money. There's a really good video on youtube showing just how bad the barrel types are.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Chumbaside wrote:Hey! Only just seen your message - you're welcome to take a look :thumleft:

Although it might be too late now...

Haha it's a good. Thank you though. :thumleft:

Ive got bits arriving this coming week. Just trying to sort all the fittings and pipework on eBay ATM.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:
rossonza wrote:well i was impatient, and cheap. ive ordered everything separately from ebay and the items are the same as in the frozenboost kit apart from i got a different pump instead of the bosch cobra. comes this week supposedly..... just got to get some rubber hose for the front rad.

Ebay stuff will do the job no bother. As long as it's not a barrel type core as they are an absolute waste of money. There's a really good video on youtube showing just how bad the barrel types are.[/quote

Yes I've seen that video. Didn't think it would make such a difference. Just trying to decide if i need an overflow tank. As currently I've no way to fill the new system up/help bleed it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

You'll need a filler neck at the very least. Having a valve on the prerad certainly helps!

Return to “Modifications”