[Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler for 400hp

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler for 400hp

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:You'll need a filler neck at the very least. Having a valve on the prerad certainly helps!

Sure, my pre-rad has a nice bleed valve at the top and bottom so that should help.

the plan is

Pre-Rad > Pump > 19mm IDA hose to rear of car > Inline 19mm filler neck > chargecooler > 19mm IDA hose back to front of car > Pre-Rad.

Make sense? i was reading to keep the pump closest to the cold water, which i presume will be on the cold side of the pre-rad.

Also got to decide on when to get megasquirt to trigger it... either RPM based, or a constant, or a temp, or a mixture of 2.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That's where mine is. Under the passenger side headlight. As for bleeding, Open the top valve on prerad. Put a garden hose in the filler neck while running the pump. I spent an entire day messing about with it before doing this. I've never had to bleed mine or top it up in 7000 miles.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:That's where mine is. Under the passenger side headlight. As for bleeding, Open the top valve on prerad. Put a garden hose in the filler neck while running the pump. I spent an entire day messing about with it before doing this. I've never had to bleed mine or top it up in 7000 miles.

perfect thank you... so you ran pure water? rather than coolant?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah no coolant bud. Nothing cools better than water. I do worry about winter so i may add some!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah no coolant bud. Nothing cools better than water. I do worry about winter so i may add some!

Yeah I guess for summer water would be fine. But I'd end up parking the car up and forgetting. Then realising I've cracked the cooler/pre rad one winters day lol.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Same pretty much. Last winter was mild so i had no issue. I was always very aware of it not having any coolant in it though.
fastasfkk

coolant

Post by fastasfkk »

use coolant
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I used 60/40 mix of water / coolant.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah just to be clear i'm not suggesting you run without coolant. Just saying that I currently do :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

haha thanks guys, yes i would have used coolant regardless. ive seen the damage water does to radiators etc if left over a cold winter :thumleft:

thanks everyone for the input. ive got most of the kit now. waiting on a few bits but ill get some pictures up of the mods on my thread shortly. hopefully pull some logs and check the "new improved" iat's.
fastasfkk

slow

Post by fastasfkk »

androo007 wrote:I used 60/40 mix of water / coolant.
i thought something robbed your power lol :D

Return to “Modifications”