[Mk2] [Turbo] Stock NA shocks with Koni inserts on a Rev 3 turbo?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dilly

[Mk2] [Turbo] Stock NA shocks with Koni inserts on a Rev 3 turbo?

Post by Dilly »

Hi guys, so I've been researching suspension options for my 96 rev3 turbo.

Currently I have Meister R Coilovers which came with the car and I'm not happy at all with the ride quality. Now I have heard good things about these coilovers so it might be down to the fact they are tired, as I have no idea how old they are. I've tried every setting on the shocks and can't come up with a happy medium between back breaking and bouncing all over the road. The car is completely unsettled over anything but smooth roads. To be honest it's ruining my enjoyment big time! As it's not confidence inspiring at all!

I'm thinking about picking up some used NA rebuildable shocks. Sandblasting and powder coating them. Then running Koni inserts with a good set of lowering springs.

So my questions are;

Does anyone have experience of this setup on a tubby?
What springs would be advisable for a fast road use?
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Stock NA shocks with Koni inserts on a Rev 3 turbo?

Post by rev3gtturbo »

With all the potholes and speed bumps and car park ramps I would not lower an mr2.

If you can get them, the correct oem shocks are pretty good for road use if they are not worn out.

Putting the correct oem shocks on your car will make your insurance a lot cheaper - good money you can spend on things that will make you happier.... such as fuel/tyres for your fast road use or track days haha.

Not tried coilovers, but are you giving the car enough miles for a change of setup to settle down? (Advice I was given when playing around with motorcycle suspension setup and I did find a combination of settings that I liked).
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the combo of n/a struts and inserts has been done and works as well as any change however remember the turbo cars came with stiffer suspension and lower (esp rev3+). I actually have B6 Yellow Bilsteins and very slightly lowering springs for sale that I took off my old rev3 turbo, new front top mounts / dust boots. Postage would be a total nightmare unless buyer organised courier.

shocks - https://photos.app.goo.gl/3w9ptz9pf5Qgo6CY6

you can see how it sits on the wheels (17's)
forums/viewtopic.php?t=194649&start=0&p ... 7a57dd88cf
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I replaced my inserts with 25% upgraded items with my -40mm progressive rate shocks and the difference for the money was incredible.

I did cut and seal the rear arches to run 10mm spacers as well mind you. ;)
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

rev3gtturbo wrote:With all the potholes and speed bumps and car park ramps I would not lower an mr2.

It's already lowered! Actually sits at a sensible height, so no problems with clearance!

If you can get them, the correct oem shocks are pretty good for road use if they are not worn out.

Yeah thought about this, not sure if the black Bilsteins are still available and how they would suit uprated springs?

Putting the correct oem shocks on your car will make your insurance a lot cheaper - good money you can spend on things that will make you happier.... such as fuel/tyres for your fast road use or track days haha.

Umm, ok thanks dad 😂

Not tried coilovers, but are you giving the car enough miles for a change of setup to settle down? (Advice I was given when playing around with motorcycle suspension setup and I did find a combination of settings that I liked).

Yeah good point. I usually adjust and leave for at least a week of daily driving maybe I'll leave a little longer.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

raptor95GTS wrote:the combo of n/a struts and inserts has been done and works as well as any change however remember the turbo cars came with stiffer suspension and lower (esp rev3+). I actually have B6 Yellow Bilsteins and very slightly lowering springs for sale that I took off my old rev3 turbo, new front top mounts / dust boots. Postage would be a total nightmare unless buyer organised courier.

Yeah they came with the black Bilsteins. But I've heard good things about the Koni inserts.
I've had B6 Bilsteins on one of my honda's and didn't get on with them. That was B6 shocks with Eibach springs. Was way too stiff for the road imo. In fact they are still sat in the garage as I replaced with KW Coilovers.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

BALDYMONSTER wrote:I replaced my inserts with 25% upgraded items with my -40mm progressive rate shocks and the difference for the money was incredible.

What inserts and springs are you running?

You have 40mm progressive springs right?
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:I replaced my inserts with 25% upgraded items with my -40mm progressive rate shocks and the difference for the money was incredible.

KYB if I recall correcrly, 25% uprated inserts.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

BALDYMONSTER wrote:
Dilly wrote:

Interested to know what springs you paired them with?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Dilly wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:the combo of n/a struts and inserts has been done and works as well as any change however remember the turbo cars came with stiffer suspension and lower (esp rev3+). I actually have B6 Yellow Bilsteins and very slightly lowering springs for sale that I took off my old rev3 turbo, new front top mounts / dust boots. Postage would be a total nightmare unless buyer organised courier.

Yeah they came with the black Bilsteins. But I've heard good things about the Koni inserts.
I've had B6 Bilsteins on one of my honda's and didn't get on with them. That was B6 shocks with Eibach springs. Was way too stiff for the road imo. In fact they are still sat in the garage as I replaced with KW Coilovers.

must admit I thought the B6's were pretty good on the MR2, I had std springs on at first but when I replaced the shocks again (80k miles later) I initially fitted H&R -20mm springs and they weren't good. Front was very bouncy but when I changed the springs to TOM's -10mm the car handled really nice. It is however very much like tyres, everyone has their feel 8)
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:
Dilly wrote:

Tbh I really couldn't be certain, I think they are leijfors (sp) and they are -40mm. Most likely -45mm due to age related sag.

Interested to know what springs you paired them with?
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Interested to hear an update on this. I purchased a set of N/A rebuildable inserts years ago of GTSchris with the intention of running a very similar setup using Koni inserts and H&R springs. I got round to fitting the H&R springs and have been very happy with height and stiffness (compared to the Tein models I tried before) but haven't yet got round to fitting the Koni inserts.

I had wanted to put uprated Koni inserts in because they would be better optimised for the lower suspension compared to OEM replacement units? Can anyone offer any experience of using non adjustable inserts with lowering springs?
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Tbh I've not done much with the car the past year odds as I'm back on two wheels and enjoying the change.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Rebuild your meister Rs. I just put a set of zeta CRDs on mine and it's incredible. Best riding mr2 I've ever been in. Potholes and rough roads no longer an issue and even though I have them on the softest setting there zero body roll. Best purchase I've made for the car!

Return to “Modifications”