[Mk2] [Generic] The speedhut look for a fraction of the cost

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The speedhut look for a fraction of the cost

Post by shinny »

DanT wrote:looks brilliant and not overly complicated after reading through all of this.

its something im gonna try on mine..wether i get another set of clocks to do it on is another matter lol.

Really not tricky at all... and you're not doing anything destructive so there's no real risk of breaking bits of the cluster unless you're utterly ham fisted. If I were you I'd get some LEDs, some non-adhesive coloured gel, and pair of scissors and / or a craft knife and then just be careful with your existing cluster :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Shinny, you should make up actual sized templates for this thread and get it made into a sticky :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:Shinny, you should make up actual sized templates for this thread and get it made into a sticky :thumleft:

That's a darn good idea! We could have PDF to print out and slip underneath some tint, so then with the help of a craft knife and a ruler you could create the perfect tint first time :thumleft:

I have a document somewhere that already has a template for the gauges so it would just be a case of simplifying that I suspect. Unfortunately I don't have spare dials to try it out on anymore as I threw away all my failed attempts when moving house over Easter. #-o
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:Shinny, you should make up actual sized templates for this thread and get it made into a sticky :thumleft:

That's a darn good idea! We could have PDF to print out and slip underneath some tint, so then with the help of a craft knife and a ruler you could create the perfect tint first time :thumleft:

I have a document somewhere that already has a template for the gauges so it would just be a case of simplifying that I suspect. Unfortunately I don't have spare dials to try it out on anymore as I threw away all my failed attempts when moving house over Easter. #-o

i'd have done it myself but i reckon your templates would be at least 76 times neater than mine, my cut outs were an absolute mess, thank god you can't see them :D
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:i'd have done it myself but i reckon your templates would be at least 76 times neater than mine, my cut outs were an absolute mess, thank god you can't see them :D

Haha... I used some previously destroyed dial faces as templates for mine :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:i'd have done it myself but i reckon your templates would be at least 76 times neater than mine, my cut outs were an absolute mess, thank god you can't see them :D

Haha... I used some previously destroyed dial faces as templates for mine :lol:

mine look like i've threw chainsaw at some blue tint :( with my left hand, and a blindfold, from 50 yards away, in fog and at night. while on a skateboard moving at 20mph, over cobbles.
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

What LEDs do I need for the clocks the original eBay link no longer works ?

Thanks,
shinny

Post by shinny »

Ethan21 wrote:What LEDs do I need for the clocks the original eBay link no longer works ?

Thanks,

I used ones like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400470041254

Other people have had similar success with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141000234700
And these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390511801830

I'm sure you can see the common theme between them :thumleft:

If I were to do this again, I would probably pick the ones from the bottom link (or similar) because they're using 5050 LEDs so are probably the brightest of those linked.
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Thanks dude I have ordered some ill post some pics when it's done
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Fitted mine today much better, ended up i had to split the clocks to remove loads of purple tint, your guide were perfect and came in very handy, thanks :thumleft:
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Sorry for the bump but I'm a little skeptical about getting the cutout on the Gel 100% and I'm worried about having the needle ping off (Was even considering using a wood clamp of sorts).

Would a sharpie (Or something much, much better than a sharpie) work if I was to carefully colour my clocks in? It's a rev5 so I'd be going over red with red and could also do the needles :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

Mikey637 wrote:Sorry for the bump but I'm a little skeptical about getting the cutout on the Gel 100% and I'm worried about having the needle ping off (Was even considering using a wood clamp of sorts).

Would a sharpie (Or something much, much better than a sharpie) work if I was to carefully colour my clocks in? It's a rev5 so I'd be going over red with red and could also do the needles :thumleft:

I'm very sceptical. You'll need a lot more access to use marker on the underside of the face than the to slip in some gel. Using market on the top will look pretty cack. But the kicker for me is that I don't think you'll get anywhere near a smooth covering with a pen. The way these pens work with solvents means your last stroke over any part of the translucent material will be visible.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but I'd go with the known "just slip it in" approach that's completely reversible over a single shot marker pen that might result in rubbish gauges you can't revert to stock. But that's just my 2p...
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

If you still wanted to make templates shinny ive got a spare set of clocks I could donate to the cause
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinnys way is deffo the easiest, admittedly i did go through a few bits of the colour sheet until it was right but it's so cheap it doesn't matter. i wouldn't want to mess around with trying to colour it in, and as shinny says, you'll need much more access to the back of them that way.

an ideal solution would be for this to go in the knowlege base along with templates :thumleft: :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

thomp1983 wrote:If you still wanted to make templates shinny ive got a spare set of clocks I could donate to the cause

I already have templates in a file somewhere. Once I'm back from Glastonbury I'll see if I can dig them out and see if they'll do the trick.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

I had already ordered myself some red self adhesive :) any way at getting to the back of the dial without taking the needles off? I'll probably order some non-adhesive stuff for the easiest parts and use the self adhesive on the little red ticks as the full blown everything red look seems a bit too much.

Reading this thread and your other on mr2oc and helpful as always mark.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Mikey637 wrote:any way at getting to the back of the dial without taking the needles off

The trick with the gel in particular is that you only need to lift the dial face up a millimeter to show it underneath. There is enough flex in the stock faces to achieve that, as some photos further up this thread.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Did this tonight and very pleased! I used self adhesive red which was a major PITA, trying to slide it into position without it sticking was a nightmare so I gave up trying to do the kph bit in the middle. Will try again with some non adhesive (Also going to make the text a nice light blue I think). Slight cool spot under 5/6k rpm and a hotspot under 3k but it's not that noticeable, white lettering is purple-ish so I'm thinking scrap the blue idea and use a nice purple to match the cosmos blue?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Mikey637 wrote:Did this tonight and very pleased!

Glad it's working well for you... enjoy having a play to perfect the look you want :thumleft:
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

As they were cheap enough I bought 8 of them (came to less than £5) just in case I had any dead ones, currently got some in my sidelights and now I've been looking at replacing all exterior (bar the heads/fogs) with LEDs. Found some nice 10w BA15S Cree LEDs I could use in the reversing lights as mine are beyond useless.

Return to “Modifications”