[Mk2] [NA] Japan Racing (JR23) alloy sizing help

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Riz

[Mk2] [NA] Japan Racing (JR23) alloy sizing help

Post by Riz »

Hi

Although I've had a number of MR2s this is my first IMOC post!
Having had a few really nice looking MR2s, I'm now settled on one (‘Hightowers' old one – P866 BDF (see his advert for pics)) that I've decided to keep long term and know what kind of look I'm wanting, I just don't know how to achieve it!

Here are some pics of some of the best looking black T bars I have ever come across online:

...forum.retro-rides.org/thread/207577/toyota-mr2-gt-rev4

...mr2.com/forums/threads/98356-Clean-Stanced-1991-MR2-Turbo-Texas-USA

I know diddly squat about suspension, rolling arches but know what look I want which is a staggered, aggressive look with a nice and noticeable lip on the rear like the ones in the pics. What I don't want are alloys poking out, a stretched tyre euro look, or problems with wheel arches rubbing/scraping that can't be sorted with a bit of wheel arch adjustment.

At the moment the car is on standard suspension as I thought I better sort my wheels out first. I've gone onto fitment industries and trawled thought forums and people seem to be putting on 18s all round without too much problems. I have searched high and low and know that I can't afford any BBS LMs or top end wheels so narrowed it down to JR23s or XXR 521s.
I would really appreciate some advice on:

1. What are your thoughts on whether I should get the JR23s vs XXR 521s. Is one brand much better quality than the other?

2. Nowhere in Europe (Driftworks, LK, wheelbase, tarmac etc) has these either wheels in silver in stock, nor can they get them so I'm going to have to buy them in grey. How feasible is it to have the alloys refurbished to super shiny silver?

3. Which set up should I go for from the options below? Please advise on the best ET to get it completely flush

JR23s
Option 1: Front: 17x8 (et?), Rear: 18x8.5 (et?)
Option2: Front: 18x8 (et?), Rear: 18x8.5 (et?)
Option 3: Front: 18x8 (et?), Rear: 18x9 (et?)
Option 4: Front 18x8.5 (et?), Rear: 18x9.5 (et?)

Thanks in advance

:thumleft:
Riz

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Japan Racing (JR23) alloy sizing help

Post by Riz »

So the fronts 17x8 (et35) arrived today.

What should I go for the rear 18x8,18x8.5 or 18x9,5, with what ET? anyone???
jon

Post by jon »

Try looking on Fitment Industries at 17 and 18 diameter wheels fitted on the MR2:

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wheel ... om=17%2A18

This MR2 has 17x8 ET35 Front and 18x9.5 ET38 rear:

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wheel ... -coilovers
Riz

Post by Riz »

thanks for the useful links, so that suggests that 9.5 on the rear will need lots of work and may still rub.

So with 17x8 (et35) on the front, I think I'm going to stick to 18x8.5 on the rear. The et needs to be somewhere between 30-35 to match the front. What do guys suggest?

It is currently on stock suspension and I may lower it on springs one day in the future (not got coilover money). I am open to rolling the arvhes a bit but don't like that stretched tyre look and live in Sheffield (crappy roads in places) so any low profile tyres can;t be that low!
Riz

Post by Riz »

...so I went with 17x8 (ET35) and 18x8.5 (ET30).

I've trawled through the net and decided on 215/40/17 for the front which I think give a standard tyre look i.e. no stretch of protrusion.

What size do people think I should be going in the rear - 245/35/18 or 255/35/18? Which will give me a matching tyre look to the front? :? :?
mark_teg

Post by mark_teg »

Hi Riz,

I used to own this beauty before selling it to Hightower. He used to keep me updated with the care and maintenance of it but we unfortunately lost contact.
I’d love to see how it’s looking now, so feel free to inbox me :)

Thanks
Riz

Post by Riz »

Hi.

I know its a few years later but I'll try and send something across to you. Anyone have hightower's details as he may want to see current position?
mark_teg

Post by mark_teg »

Riz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:43 am
Hi.

I know its a few years later but I'll try and send something across to you. Anyone have hightower's details as he may want to see current position?

Yes please, I'd still love to see it again.
Unfortunately, I lost my phone pretty soon afterwards so I lost contact with Hightower a long time ago. His friend (an MR2 fanatic if I remember correctly) may still frequent these pages and mention it to him, though!

Return to “Modifications”