MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aussieGT

Re: MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by aussieGT »

Marty J wrote:No offense but you are dealing with me and that's the way I want to keep it for now.

I can tell you that the company I am using has been around for over 160 years. So they must be doing something right.

I think this is well over-ripe. This 'company' should have legal action threatened as no way could this time frame be seen as 'reasonable' no matter what sort of engineering and reinventing of the wheel was required.

Its very much at the pointy end now Marty J, and the pointy end is in your hand. I can't fathom as to why you will not name this company.

No-one has seen a 'finished product', just the wrong thing sent out.

Do they also sell nice sketches door to door?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

And how much money are you going to put up for legal action ?

You are right in saying that this has gone on way too long. Something I certainly did not foresee, but to start threatening them with legal action at this stage would not do us any favours as far as I can see.

I don't want to name the company because certain people could go overboard with abuse and I don't want to go down that road.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Mine just arrived. I have to say mine looks like its been machined much better than wingers one.

2 things stand out i'd like to query:

-My old one features an indented ring round the top part of the helical and the new one does not. Is this ok?
-The old one has a short chamfer on the first edge below the helical, the new one is longer. Is that ok?

I might install this next week hopefull so I can give feedback.

Just ordered parts aswell as listed in the fitting guide. came to £45.17
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

It looks like the helical gears are also much shorter now.

Wingers
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

dantheman wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote Image

I dont think I could be anything other than un-easy fitting that to my steering rack
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman have you tried to install the pinion into the rack ? When I received the soft sample it fitted perfectly into my rev 2 rack.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Wingers wrote:It looks like the helical gears are also much shorter now.
Wingers

Yes they are, but the old one has a shinier patch, obviously the bit that was actually in contact. the new one is the same size as the wear patch.

Marty J wrote:dantheman have you tried to install the pinion into the rack ? When I received the soft sample it fitted perfectly into my rev 2 rack.

No not yet, i will hopefully get round to it next week. Was just curious as to why those two areas differed and if it was significant?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman I cannot honestly answer why they are different. I can ask on Monday.

When you sent me your pinion, I installed it into my own rack and it work as should. Providing the manufacturer has not altered anything significant to the new pinion part, then it should work the same as the soft sample that I tried out.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

I have recieved a pinion today. I'll get the verniers out tonight and look to take some dimensional measurements for comparision.

I did note that the accompanying documentation noted the part as 'sample'. This may just be an oversight, but worth confirming that these are the finished components (presume they are)
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

If its any consolation mine looks pretty ruff with machine marks in it.
Im waiting for the conformation that this is right as I dont have the facilitys to do the work my self and I have to pay someone to do it.
Even now I have the part, it just sits on the kitchen side board anoying my wife.....
The saga continues
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I installed the pinion today following that guide. Took about 4 hours to do.

2 observations:

1)The steering is noticably more responsive. Lock to lock before was 3.5 turns, now its 2.66.

2)My power steering is terrible now. It seems to offer assistance about 0.5s after I turn the wheel a significant amount. So i turn the amount I want to, then it kicks in and tries to make me turn more into the corner. The steering wheel also turns by itself when the car is stationary and doesnt return to centre after a corner. Im gonna search for the cause and if I cant find one hopefully pulling a fuse and disabling power steering will solve it. Any ideas what it might be?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman wrote:I installed the pinion today following that guide. Took about 4 hours to do.

2 observations:

1)The steering is noticably more responsive. Lock to lock before was 3.5 turns, now its 2.66.

2)My power steering is terrible now. It seems to offer assistance about 0.5s after I turn the wheel a significant amount. So i turn the amount I want to, then it kicks in and tries to make me turn more into the corner. The steering wheel also turns by itself when the car is stationary and doesnt return to centre after a corner. Im gonna search for the cause and if I cant find one hopefully pulling a fuse and disabling power steering will solve it. Any ideas what it might be?

I'm not going to pretend to know why it's doing this, but are you sure the fluid was bled properly ?

It is weird that the steering wheel is turning by itself.

Please keep us updated as I have not yet received my pinion.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

dantheman wrote:2)My power steering is terrible now. It seems to offer assistance about 0.5s after I turn the wheel a significant amount. So i turn the amount I want to, then it kicks in and tries to make me turn more into the corner. The steering wheel also turns by itself when the car is stationary and doesnt return to centre after a corner. Im gonna search for the cause and if I cant find one hopefully pulling a fuse and disabling power steering will solve it. Any ideas what it might be?

I'm not too familiar with the PS system myself, but sounds like a problem with the system itself rather than the modified rack / pinion. Does it need to be bled and / or reset in some way..?
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Again, I'm not aware of exactly how this system works but it sounds like the feedback loop isn't working properly. If it's moving on it's own then it must not know when to assist and when to do nothing.
That sounds like the centre point isn't set properly and I don't think it's anything to do with the new pinion.

Not that that helps much I guess...

Wingers
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ive done some research and I suspect issues with my installation over the pinion as the cause

1)I didnt use toyota fluid (mainly cos I didnt realise you had to until I opened the reservior, by which point it was too late) I used halfords power steering fluid instead. There are 3 schools of thought on this issue: That it makes no difference, that you can use peugeot 307 fluid at a quarter of the price, or use toyota fluid (£30+ a bottle). I dont suspect this is the cause.

2)The rack guide also sets preload. I did not realise this when I reinstalled and just did it up 'a suitably tight amount'. I suspect the reason for the delay is this preload. Unfortunately to adjust this I gotta remove the rack again.

3)I slightly overfilled the reservior as I was expecting 0.5L of fluid and it only took 0.3L

4)when i went lock to lock I did not leave it at full lock for 2-3 seconds as recommended in the manual, so it might not be bled fully.

I will address these 4 issues on friday and see what the deal is. Only then can I accuse the pinion.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I do remember a debate on MR2.com a few years ago about the use of other branded power steering fluids in the MR2. I think they came to the conclusion that the other fluids would allow the power steering to work, but they also slowly dissolved the seals/washers in the rack.

For those who want to use the Toyota power steering fluid brand, the part number is 08886-01206.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ive slackened the preload, given it the correct amount of fluid and bled it properly. Still not working right and seems to disable itself after a while. Though ive only driven about 10 mins in the car since changing the pinion over.

That only leaves 2 options, either it requires the correct fluid or i did something to the valve when i swapped the pinions.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

dantheman wrote:I installed the pinion today following that guide. Took about 4 hours to do.

2 observations:

I can only guess that Toyota making the MR2 have 'power assisted steering' rather than 'power steering' has effect on what you are experiencing.

I'm sure I read somewhere that power was delivered depending on load/position of turn but of course I could be totally wrong.

Guess this short screw may work nicely on non power steering models...
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

I didnt think the rack had enough sensors to to do that.
My understanding was that the amount of assist was speed related and the pump got a signal from the speedo wire that goes to the ecu.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

When i looked at the manual i dont think the system is 'smart' at all. When you turn the wheel, the movement of fluid causes it to open a valve which allowes the high pressure pumped fluid to flow to equalise the pressure difference, creating an assistance in the process...(or something).

Did a trackday today, just disabled the power steering. The steering was very direct, gave great feedback and actually wasnt too heavy, so its gonna stay disabled.

Overall im very happy with the mod now.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”