MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by Marty J »

GROUP BUY NOW CLOSED !

Some of you may already know that in the US there is a quick steer pinion. Unfortunately it is only produced for lhd power steering Mk2 MR2s'. The quick ratio pinion modifies the stock MKII power steering housing from 3.2 turns lock to lock to a 2.6 turns lock to lock rack.

This mod has been praised in the US by just about everybody that purchased one. The pinion gives the MR2 more control when needed, but does not make it skittish.

This mod is only for the Mk2 MR2 with power steering.

The cost effective way to do this was to have two parts made to fit the existing pinion. So I will need for you to send me the RHD pinions to be modified. That means leaving it assembled. Please examine your pinion for wear and other deformities. If a pinion is sent to me and is found to be in poor condition you will be notified before conversion. If you wish to have it returned unmodified, you will be charged for shipping and handling costs.

You will receive the quick steer pinions ready assembled for installing on the MR2.

Below are the prices per unit. The more ordered, the cheaper they are per unit. Prices do not include shipping.

1/3 of the price will be required as a deposit. Once I have placed an order for production, deposits cannot be refunded immediately as my own money would be tied up in the cost.

5 - 9 units - £353.00

10 -14 units £261.00

15 – 19 units £233.00

20 – 24 units £214.00

25 -49 units £208.00

50 + units £193.00
Last edited by Marty J on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marty J

Re: MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by Marty J »

1. dantheman -------- Parts only --------------- Paid in full --------- UK.
2. irish_dan ---------- Assembled pinion ------ Deposit paid ------- Ireland.
3. Harper --------------Assembled pinion ------- Paid in full --------- Northern Ireland.
4. filthy ----------------Assembled pinion ------- Paid in full ---------- UK.
5. SFLee -------------- Assembled pinion ------- Paid in full ---------- UK.
6. basch32 ------------ Parts only --------------- Paid in full ---------- Ireland.
7. ashtwo ------------- Parts only ---------------- Paid in full --------- Australia.
8. lmt -------------------- Parts only -------------- Paid in full ----------- Australia.
9. dwyer125 ----------- Parts only -------------- Paid in full ----------- Australia.
10. ziggyzigatron ------ Assembled pinion ------ Paid in full --------- UK.
11. 5SGTE -------------- Parts only ---------------- Paid in full ---------- Australia.
12. Wingers ------------ Parts only -------------- Paid in full ----------- UK.
13. -Totenkopf- --------- Parts only -------------- Paid in full ---------- Australia.
14. WIDEMR ----------- Parts only --------------- Paid in full ----------- Australia.
15. Twincams ---------- Parts only --------------- Paid in full ----------- Singapore.
16. Whitchy ------------ Parts only --------------- Paid in full ----------- Australia.
17. Lemoncake ------- Assembled pinion ------- Paid in full ----------- Hong Kong.
18. mk1rally20v ------ Parts only --------------- Paid in full ------------ UK.
Last edited by Marty J on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 33 times in total.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Interested in this if it gets to the 15 - 19 units price band or lower. I dont think I could justify a higher cost than that.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Definitely interested. I know you have been posting this about elsewhere. How many names have you accumulated so far?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

There has been interest from Ireland and Australia as well. I'm using the group buy section for official figures.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Marty J wrote:There has been interest from Ireland and Australia as well. I'm using the group buy section for official figures.

Sorry i havent really understood that. Im assuming all the group buys from elsewhere are being combined for the total number of units? If so how many other people have signed up?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

There have been people that have shown interest but have not put their name down for actually wanting one. There is a guy in Australia who has emailed to say that he would be interested in buying a few.

I have linked the Irish thread on another post on imoc to show that there is interest in Ireland. I did not want to break the imoc rules on that first post by trying to sell there.

The group buy figures you see here are the actual numbers that I am using for UK members and I am doing the same on the Irish site for Irish and from other country members. I will combine all of the orders to get the best price. :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ok, gotcha :thumleft:
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

have you got picture of before and after?

and

ALL rev is same ?
also picture of the bit you need to send

interested in it,

ps ( i thought all sw20 was power steering is it not the case)
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

No before or after photos yet.

From what I have read, the pinion is the same in all revisions with power steering. Remember that this one is for rhd which is the only difference.

Here is a photo of a standard pinion from a SW20 MR2 with power steering. This is the part you will need to send to me to have the upgraded parts installed.

No not all SW20 MR2's came with power steering, so their steering rack is a different design.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

What's involved in removing that part. Is it fairly easy to get to or is there a lot of other parts that need removing too?

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Rather than myself writing about what is involved, I found this excellent link which shows what is involved in installing the pinion. The guy went the extra mile and renewed other things on the power steering rack while he had it apart. The link is for the lhd pinion, but the proceedure is the same.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=3 ... ick+pinion
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

If you are competent at diy mechanics and have access to a press then maybe it would suit you to buy the upgrade parts and assemble the pinion in your own time. This would also save you the cost of sending and return postage.

Parts on their own are as follows:

5 - 9 units - £340.00

10 -14 units £248.00

15 – 19 units £220.00

20 – 24 units £201.00

25 -49 units £195.00

50 + units £180.00
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I can also say that so far including other MR2 forums, there are 9 people that want this product. :thumleft:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I am now taking deposits of £78.00 for the 15 – 19 units range.

Currently there are 9 people that have expressed interest in the Quick Steer power steering pinion.

When I have received deposits for 10 units the pinions will go into production.

You will be contacted to send your pinion to be upgraded.

Once the upgraded pinion is ready to be shipped, I will require the rest of the payment which is £155.00 + shipping cost.

Payments to be sent to PayPal account : [email protected]

Please leave your user name along with your full name, address, email address and phone number so I know who has made the deposit.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I have no problem putting in the deposit, i just have a question about timing. I will be out of the country from 3rd august to 8th september. are you expecting to be taking collection of the steering racks during this time? if so what can i do to preempt this?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman wrote:I have no problem putting in the deposit, i just have a question about timing. I will be out of the country from 3rd august to 8th september. are you expecting to be taking collection of the steering racks during this time? if so what can i do to preempt this?

In your case, so long as you are able to make the final payment when the upgraded parts are produced, I think I could pursuade the manufacturer to assemble yours at a later date. Would you be able to make the final payment while you are out of the country ?

The main thing right now is I need a commitment from people to get this product started and that is why I am asking for deposits.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok so you will be assembling the racks whilst im away?

I wouldnt be able to guarantee i can make the payment whilst im away. I am not against paying the full amount now, or alternatively paying the deposit now and setting up a bank transfer so that the remainder will get paid on a set date, so that should i have internet access i can cancel it if needs be.

Of course i dont want to pay the money if theres no guarantee of getting a finished rack. If its in question do you have a spare you can supply on my behalf? I have 2 in my possession, which i can send you afterwards. Failing that if all this is too difficult and all it takes to to assemble it yourself is a press i can just buy the part on its own and do it myself.

Many options there for you :thumleft:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

This is a pinion that goes in your rack, not a complete rack.

If you have a press that would be the best and cheapest option. You would not need to send me your original pinion and you could fit the upgraded parts yourself in your own time.

If you wanted, if you have an alternative address I could post the parts to that while you are away.

It all depends on the others, how fast this product goes into production.

If you are comfortable paying the full amount then that would mean you would not be holding up the pinions for the others.

The manufacturer will not release the pinions untill they are paid in full. So if one person fails to pay it would mean the rest would have to wait.

I was thinking if that happens and they don't pay by two weeks then they would loose their deposit and I would have to chip in with the extra cash. I don't want to go down that road, but it would not be fair to keep others waiting.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Ok then i reckon the best thing to do is to pay the full amount for just the parts in advance, and if the group buy hasnt been completed by the time i come back i can throw in the extra to have it fitted.

If thats ok ill send £220 to your paypal account

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”