MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

Re: MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by Marty J »

Please hold back before sending it to Fensport. I need to check that it has been machined correctly. I am waiting on my pinion to arrive. I would not want you paying twice. 8-[
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

Fensport are pretty good guys who know there stuff and are only 5 miles from me.
I think there input would be highly valuable.
And I dont think it would hurt for them to have look if there willing.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Yes that would be a good idea for a visual inspection. I have used them a few times. I thought you meant that you was just going to shove it in regardless.
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

I will ring them tomorrow and see what there plans are for saturday.
I will post my findings here and would appreciate the input of any others.
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

Not expecting any thing too quick as I know there very busy
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Thanks that would be helpful.
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

I spoke to Tim at Fensport and I need to pop in on a weekday as the guy I spoke to last time does not work saturdays so I will keep you posted.
Just got my pinion but I have not seen the old one so it is not clear what I am looking at.
Do we know what grade of steel this made of as the reproduction cost and effort is huge compared to an ebay rack if it wears out.
ziggyzigatron

Post by ziggyzigatron »

Anyone fitted it yet ?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

ziggyzigatron wrote:Anyone fitted it yet ?

Yourself and Wingers are the only people that have received the parts. Dantheman should be receiving his upgraded pinion soon. I am still waiting on mine.
5sgte

Post by 5sgte »

ziggyzigatron wrote:
Do we know what grade of steel this made of

Also anything about any hardening treatment?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

5sgte wrote:
ziggyzigatron wrote:
Do we know what grade of steel this made of

Also anything about any hardening treatment?

You asked for that information on the mr2australia.com site. It is #56 on the forum.

Here it is again:

Principal Design Features AISI 8620 is a hardenable chromium, molybdenum, nickel low alloy steel often used for carburizing to develop a case-hardened part. This case-hardening will result in good wear characteristics.

Applications In the carburized condition this alloy is used for gears, ring gears, shafts and crankshafts.

Machinability Machining is done prior to carburizing to within as close a tolerance as possible. Finish machining, after heat treatment and/or carburizing, should be at a minimum so as not to impair the hardened case of the part. Machining may be done by conventional means prior to heat treatment - after carburizing machining is usually limited to grinding.

Forming Forming characteristics of 8620 alloy are good in the annealed condition.

Welding The alloy may be welded by conventional methods, usually gas or arc welding. Preheating at 400 F is beneficial and subsequent heating after welding is recommended - consult the approved weld procedure for the method used.

Heat Treatment This alloy may be hardened by heating to 1500 F followed by a water quench. Carburize at 1650 to 1700 F in an appropriate carburizing medium and oil quench to harden. Improved carburized case and core properties can be obtained by furnace cooling from carburizing at 1650 - 1700 F and then reheating to 1575 F.

Forging The alloy may be forged at 2200 F down to 1800 F prior to the hardening heat treatment or carburizing.

Hot Working Hot working may be accomplished prior to hardening or carburizing. Consult the alloy supplier for information as to temperatures.

Cold Working The alloy may be cold worked in the annealed condition by conventional methods. Cold working, as with machining, should be done to as close a tolerance as possible before heat treatment or carburizing.

Annealing AISI 8620 may be given a full anneal at 1550 F and slow cooling at not more than 50 F per hour down to 850 F. From there it may be air cooled.

Aging Not applicable to this alloy.

Tempering Tempering of carburized parts is done at 250 to 300 F and this will result in the alloy having a core strength of approximately 135 ksi minimum with Rockwell C case hardness of 90. Tempering of heat treated and water quenched parts (not carburized) is done at 400 F to 1300 F with greater hardness the lower the tempering temperature.

Hardening Hardening is done by oil quench from 1675 F. See "Heat Treatment". Carburizing is accomplished at the same 1650 to 1700 F range in a carburizing "pack" or environment, followed by oil quench for thin sections or a furnace cool for heavier (over 3/4") sections. Following carburizing of heavy sections a reheat at 1575 F will enhance both case and core properties of the alloy.

Other Comments This alloy is typically used for carburized parts where a hardened case is desired for wear resistance.
Physical Data :

Density (lb / cu. in.) 0.283 Specific Gravity 7.8 Specific Heat (Btu/lb/Deg F - [32-212 Deg F]) 0.1 Melting Point (Deg F) 2600 Thermal Conductivity 26 Mean Coeff Thermal Expansion 6.6 Modulus of Elasticity Tension 31
5sgte

Post by 5sgte »

Probably did sorry, I've looked at about a million things since then. Thanks for posting it again.

Anybody who has theirs got any photos to share?
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I've got mine so will post some pictures to (hopefully) settle some nerves out there.

I've not fitted it yet as I wanted to confirm that the diameters which have machining marks on them are ok and not sealing faces. I've also been to Toyota and bought a kit of spare parts (which I have a list of) so I'll post the list once I've fitted it and am happy that it's everything you need.

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I have just come off the phone. I expressed my concern that the little 'nick' from the helical should not be between the thread at the end and the the helical part. They will get back to me. :roll:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Wingers, I have sent you a pm.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Wingers do not install the pinion part.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

For those who are wondering what's happening with Wingers, he was sent the wrong part. They sent him a 'setting piece'. He will be sent another part once he returns the part he currently has in his possession.

The manufacturer has checked all the other parts that have so far been produced and have assured me that they are OK.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Marty J wrote:

Yourself and Wingers are the only people that have received the parts. Dantheman should be receiving his upgraded pinion soon. I am still waiting on mine.

Should I have received mine yet, still not got it at the address I emailed you
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman wrote:
Marty J wrote:

Sorry Dan, I wanted to make sure the other parts are manufactured correctly before yours is sent to you. You should receive your upgraded pinion next week.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

dantheman wrote:
Marty J wrote:

Dan I have just been told that your upgraded pinion was sent out today by courier.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”