Been 10 years since I was on this site

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ligertigon

Been 10 years since I was on this site

Post by ligertigon »

As per heading, today I went to open the drivers door for the first time in 14 years of my mk1.

Put fuel in, charged a new battery, but no start.

Started with some carb cleaner, cracked the fuel rail, but fuel pump not running.
My knowledge on this mark was once good, but 15 years later I cant remember much now.

I recalled the pump wiring was under the centre console, and checked for voltage... but none.
On a side note, no alternator is installed, would this matter?

Fuses seem good, as do relays, whats next for no fuel?
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Re: Been 10 years since I was on this site

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi

Im not familiar with the MK1 but i would have thought you really need an alternator on? if you do get it running you will soon drain the battery off.

maybe try a separate electrical feed to the pump i suspect if its been stood so long the pump itself could be at fault, but if you have no voltage to the pump as you say try a electrical supply just to the fuel pump see if you get any reaction from the pump

Jimmy would be be able to answer directly i would imagine?
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

bridging (I think) the Fp and B+ terminals in the diagnostic conector in the engine bay, by passes some of the circuit and will force pump to run.

Very quiet here these days , but the mk1 forum on facebook is pretty active. Also see mk1 electrical wiring manual.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ocdownloads/Tech ... trical.pdf
jimi

Post by jimi »

Fuel pump only runs when your cranking or the engine is running. As above bridging Fp and B+ on the check connector will run the pump with the ignition on but only recommended as a check.
If it hasn't run in that time then there's a fair chance the pump has seized up. No alternator won't matter other than 2 things, battery will go flat fairly quickly and no water pump, so it will overheat pretty quickly
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Thx. just want to drive it onto a trailer

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”