Mr2 SC 4AGZE dying

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

Mr2 SC 4AGZE dying

Post by Tsporter »

Limited knowledge here…so I need a bit of help.

I changed the timing belt side engine mount the other day. Car was running perfect before. Had to remove coolant bottle, ignition coil and ignitor for access. Put it all back together.

Car started fine the next day, I drove 1km and got petrol, then drove 10km's and as I tried to accelerate leaving a town, the car felt lumpy and gave a flash of an EML. Tried to accelerate again and she died. I pulled over and she wouldn't start. I left her a few minutes and she started and I drove about 100meters before she died again. I could repeat this but eventually called a tow truck.

I tested the ignitor and coil as per the Haynes manual and they test ok.

Car is at mechanics now. It will start and run for a few minutes and then dies. Mechanic reckons it's not getting spark or fuel. Re the fuel he said he just checked for fuel by pulling a plug? He said he rang an ex Toyota mechanic and they are both a bit stuck.

Any ideas?
Tsporter

Re: Mr2 SC 4AGZE dying

Post by Tsporter »

Mechanic finally got round to having a look at it and thought it might be the ignition coil. I fitted a used coil and ignitor today and it seems to be fixed. She idled for 40mins, was cutting out after less than 10mins. I also just drove 20km but got a check engine light after about 2km. I'll read codes tomorrow. But progress has been made anyway.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I thought the SC coil was different? Unless you have a spare SC coil?
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I thought the SC coil was different? Unless you have a spare SC coil?

It would appear mine is running on a 4age one anyway. Can anyone check their SC?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”