Engine rattling noise when cold

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lffuller

Engine rattling noise when cold

Post by lffuller »

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone in the Surrey/Berkshire/Hampshire area they could recommend to take my '88 Mk1 T-Bar to, to investigate an engine noise when cold. It's seems to rattle quite a bit and seems quite noisy. It subsides when warmer and the oil has got around it a bit. It's a very low mileage example with only 22k original miles on the clock, so struggle to think it could be anything serious. I had some work done on it in the summer (cam belt change, oil & coolant change) but can't think they're related? Someone has suggested it could be the wrong oil grade?

Problem is, I'm no mechanic, so any advice on who to take it to, to have a listen, would be great. Thanks all :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Re: Engine rattling noise when cold

Post by rossonza »

lffuller wrote:Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone in the Surrey/Berkshire/Hampshire area they could recommend to take my '88 Mk1 T-Bar to, to investigate an engine noise when cold. It's seems to rattle quite a bit and seems quite noisy. It subsides when warmer and the oil has got around it a bit. It's a very low mileage example with only 22k original miles on the clock, so struggle to think it could be anything serious. I had some work done on it in the summer (cam belt change, oil & coolant change) but can't think they're related? Someone has suggested it could be the wrong oil grade?

Problem is, I'm no mechanic, so any advice on who to take it to, to have a listen, would be great. Thanks all :)

have you checked the oil level?
lffuller

Post by lffuller »

Yes, oil level is fine :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Simon, i can confirm the correct oil grade was used during the work i did in the Summer.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”