Wheels and Tyres

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

knocker

Wheels and Tyres

Post by knocker »

Hi , over the winter I am planning to fit to my SC new Rota Kyusha alloy wheels 15"x7" 4x100 with an off set of E38. At the same time tyres 195x50 Yokohama AD08R ( if available) or Toyo proxy. Its going to cost about a grand so need to get it right!! I have also lowered my SC by 30 mm any comments or issues on fit? Cheers
Ben

Re: Wheels and Tyres

Post by Ben »

From what I remember that all sounds OK to me :thumleft:

What springs and dampers are you running?

Personally I'd avoid Toyo T1Rs (if that's what you're thinking) - they're pretty dated now and there are far better tyres available.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ben wrote:Personally I'd avoid Toyo T1Rs (if that's what you're thinking) - they're pretty dated now and there are far better tyres available.

I would concur with Ben on the T1R's. They are absolute rubbish and as he said there are far better tyres available. It's been a while since I had to find tyres in that size and unfortunately the choice is limited. I tried Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my AE86, but the sidewalls are not stiff enough even with a 7.5" rim and they were too grippy. AD08's will have nice stiff sidewalls, but obviously a lot of grip when temperatures are warm.

The Rotas are a copy of Work Meister CR01's with fake bolts. I think Work Meister S1R's look better personally. £1500 for the real thing though rather than copies. A set of CR01's though is £1300 through DW if you want the real thing.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
knocker

Post by knocker »

I agree the works Cr01 is the best and if I had the budget I would go that way but DW cost of £1288 plus £ 50 per wheel to have the spokes black and new tyres we are into £1900-2000. A grand is my budget and the Rotas look the best alternative. Thanks for the comments on tyres I will try and get the Yoko A080s, my son has them on his Mk2 Turbo and he swears by them.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

knocker wrote:I agree the works Cr01 is the best and if I had the budget I would go that way but DW cost of £1288 plus £ 50 per wheel to have the spokes black and new tyres we are into £1900-2000. A grand is my budget and the Rotas look the best alternative. Thanks for the comments on tyres I will try and get the Yoko A080s, my son has them on his Mk2 Turbo and he swears by them.

You could also look for some second hand JDM wheels and get the real thing then. Got my Work Meister S1s for £550. It's your choice of course but I like to have authentic wheels not copies. Got my TE37's for the GT86 for a similar price secondhand then just got them refurbed. If you're fortunate you may get something really cool turn up secondhand, it can take a while though!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”