SW20 Rev 2 Fuel Tank Stuck/Jammed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Arca

SW20 Rev 2 Fuel Tank Stuck/Jammed

Post by Arca »

Hi all,

I've been trying to remove the fuel tank from my rev 2 tubby for a week or so now, but seems like it's stuck. I've followed the steps in several guides and made sure all of the bolts/fasteners and hoses are disconnected, but the tank is just refusing to drop. Not sure if it's rust welded to the frame maybe, or if there's something I've missed. I've read that it should just drop easily without resistance but even if I try and suplex the tank it doesn't budge. Does anyone have any tips for removing/dropping a stubborn/stuck fuel tank? I can try to get some pictures if it helps.
rev2rich

Re: SW20 Rev 2 Fuel Tank Stuck/Jammed

Post by rev2rich »

did you remove / undo the fuel sender wiring?....
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

It can get jammed slightly at the front of the car. Pretty sure I had to use a jimmy bar to get mine out.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
BillyDS

Post by BillyDS »

monkeyra wrote:It can get jammed slightly at the front of the car. Pretty sure I had to use a jimmy bar to get mine out.

We'll keep that in mind. My friend got this Rev 2 project and he needs to drop the tank as well. We'll just finish installing the brake pads and exhaust from 4Wheelonline onto the Jeep project before we can clear the garage.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

I did this relatively recently.

There are a few sneaky hoses that are attached to those solid metal tubes that run up and down the firewall. make sure all of those are removed.

What worked for me was a throrough 360 degree inspection fo the tank to ensure everything was removed and disconnected.

Then when it got stuck it just needed some strong persuasion, I was basically on my back using hand and feet to support and encourage the tank to drop out. Its is a bit of a pain in the ar$e. lol
Zircon

Post by Zircon »

My MR2 is a UK MK2 Rev2 N/A.
Can anybody, who accurately knows, list how much fuel/water/rust etc is left in the tank once the engine dies from lack of petrol ?
I have 'drained' my tank by the pump being operated with the bridging of P+ and B+ terminals and the fuel removed is very clean.
I am wondering what the quantity and condition is like of the remaining petrol that the pick up pipe could not drain.
Thanks if you can help.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You can check yourself, if you are careful. Elevate the rear of the car, remove the gear surround and trim etc inside the car and unscrew the round panel that holds the fuel float in place. You'll be able to see into the tank (which will be the cleanest part of your car by quite some distance). No naked flames though 8)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”