Why are MR2 Turbos still undervalued?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2TRD8

Mr2

Post by MR2TRD8 »

The tidy looking zircon rev2 turbo with decent miles listed on eBay has now got against it now sold, it's a trader who sold that, he's always got mr2s listed and was asking £7450 so probably got somewhere around that for it and was listed for 2 weeks.

Can't see any tidy rev3s for sale at the moment and still no one has offered me any for £3k but I am patiently waiting 🤣[/code]
MR2TRD8

Mr2

Post by MR2TRD8 »

yokomomr4bx wrote:I think it's interesting how a lot of us are talking about the MR2 as an 'investment'. I'm not sure this is the best approach to MR2 ownership. I've owned my rev 3 turbo for the better part of a decade now, bought at a time when well modified/clean examples were fetching 3-4K. I paid 3.5K for mine. I couldn't give a toss about the current market value because I still enjoy owning/maintaining/driving the car and don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

Looking for a return on an MR2 as an investment is a pointless exercise. Equally, if you're an enthusiast and are desperately haggling the price down, you're also missing the point. I would happily pay 5 - 7K for my current car if I was offered it tomorrow...because I'm an enthusiast and I WANT to own the car.

I don't look at the market often, but when I do, I notice a distinct lack of even half-decent rev 3 turbos, so I would agree with OP that his car is not overvalued. I also agree with a lot of the comments suggesting why the MR2 has been undervalued for so long, and likely will continue to be. It's a niche car, but unfortunately it's still being treated like a readily available commodity.

As to the suggestion that the car doesn't have racing heritage, I would strongly disagree. Let's not forget the 3SGTE was the engine that took on the RB26 in the JGTC...not the 2JZ-GTE. And as for rallying, how much more pedigree do you want than the Celica??

It's only the members on here who seem to think they are rubbish in America people are loving them at the moment. Iv got lots of different cars and my daily at the moment is an r35 gtr, but when the sun is out I always end up going to the garage to get the mr2 out, they are great cars :thumleft:
Hez

Re: Why are MR2 Turbos still undervalued?

Post by Hez »

Nobody has said they are rubbish, we all love em!

It's just most people won't pay 7k for a average rev 2 money pit.

Some joker on eBay listed a knackered Rev 2 for 7k earlier then created two fake accounts to bid on it. Think its gone now someone must have called him out.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Judging from the recent surge in youtube content around the MR2, almost exclusively in America, I would agree that the interest is far greater across the pond than it is here. I might even go so far as to say that their is greater appreciation for them over there...the prices over there would suggest that this is the case?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I mean they go for more pretty much everywhere across europe. Most UK mr2 owners are notorious cheapskates.
MR2TRD8

Re: Mr2

Post by MR2TRD8 »

MR2TRD8 wrote:It's a tough time to sell a car and with the covid restrictions it makes it pretty hard for buyers to get to you.

When stuff opens back up and restrictions are lifted im sure it will sell. Iv got a 300zx for sale on eBay and although Iv had lots of interest but no ones actually managed to travel to view it and I don't want to deliver it so I'll just have to wait.

Why don't you try listing it and selling it on here?

The people offering you 3/4K will buy it give it a polish and relist it for £8/10k if it's a nice example pal :thumleft:

Hi pal just seen you listed the car in the classifieds on here. That 300zx I had listed only on eBay went on the weekend, and I guess that sold as it was the first weekend when travel was allowed in wales again. I'm sure it will go soon. The 300zx I sold was a twin turbo auto, I was asking £8k for it and got about that. Glwts pal
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Hez wrote:
Some joker on eBay listed a knackered Rev 2 for 7k earlier then created two fake accounts to bid on it. Think its gone now someone must have called him out.

How did you work out the seller created 2 fake accounts to bid on it ?
Hez

Post by Hez »

It was a couple of weeks ago now but someone lists an old Rev 2 turbo with questionable history, rust and a massive list of problems. Within hours two people with 0 feedback bid on the car and bring the price upto around 7k, the listing disappeared not long after. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid or someone who isn't a full deck paid 7k for a fcuked MR2.
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Hez wrote:It was a couple of weeks ago now but someone lists an old Rev 2 turbo with questionable history, rust and a massive list of problems. Within hours two people with 0 feedback bid on the car and bring the price upto around 7k, the listing disappeared not long after. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid or someone who isn't a full deck paid 7k for a fcuked MR2.

Was probably the seller himself bidding, or getting their mates to do so. There are some special people out there, but 7k for a shonky MR2 Turbo is a bit of a stretch to believe. Prices are increasing, but they aren't at that level (yet).
Retribution

Post by Retribution »

I still have both of my tubbys at present but I have noticed the prices are going up for a low mileage good comdition

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”