Using Heated Rear Screen as radio Aerial

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Using Heated Rear Screen as radio Aerial

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi there

As many cars use the heated rear screen as an aerial, I wondered if anyone has done this on their 2?

Ive seen on a civic forum people using a ford sierra unit that appears to work

All my company cars over the last 15 years have used this method

Just throwing it out there :-)

Regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
MR22

Re: Using Heated Rear Screen as radio Aerial

Post by MR22 »

I don't think the MR2 type of rear screen is suitable to obtain a good radio reception.

I have installed an electronic aerial behind the rear view mirror and masked it from outside view by attaching a small area of non-metallic dot film in front of it on the glass.

Works well and I removed the dated electric aerial and the hole in the rear quarter it came through. Much cleaner looking and more modern too.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

MR22 wrote:I don't think the MR2 type of rear screen is suitable to obtain a good radio reception.

I have installed an electronic aerial behind the rear view mirror and masked it from outside view by attaching a small area of non-metallic dot film in front of it on the glass.

Works well and I removed the dated electric aerial and the hole in the rear quarter it came through. Much cleaner looking and more modern too.

Hello yes your right a DOOH moment off me, of course on more modern cars the radio antenna is the outer line of the "elements" which is not connected to the heating element

Ive given up trying to get the arieal to go up aafter trying a few units & going from front to back, I think i will do as you have done or similiar

regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i fitted an electronic one behind the centre panel using the power from the stock aerial and the existing aerial cable to the front. Worked fine though I rarely used the radio and then removed the unit when it died of old age. Ran the car for 4yrs without a head unit :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”