Mr2 spider for sale in Japan

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: Mr2 spider for sale in Japan

Post by ashley »

I just bought a completely rust free rev2 tintop for £150 if that gives you an idea of value these days, granted its a non-runner NA- but still....a tin top with original, solid sills for £150 :shock:

Was at Peter's last weekend- he's got a spider in at the moment for a sill job, so they do exist in the UK...needs some attention and it'll be a nice car.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

ashley wrote:I just bought a completely rust free rev2 tintop for £150 if that gives you an idea of value these days, granted its a non-runner NA- but still....a tin top with original, solid sills for £150 :shock:

Equally for a single data point, a very tidy Rev2 NA sold at auction about a year or ago in the UK for £7700:

Clearly this is way overpriced but for some reason at least two people were willing to pay north of £7k for it. Your example for £150 if genuinely rust free seems to be pretty far the other way.

As with many things the truth lies in the middle somewhere, but I suspect more towards the lower end :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Agreed- I've got this one for a steal for sure, but in fairness not many folk look at a scruffy old MR2 and see "the potential" :twisted:
MR2TRD8

Post by MR2TRD8 »

I didn't start this as a what's an Mr2 worth post.

I had been looking round in Japan for a nice rev5 turbo and had noticed that spider for sale and being a special car though I would post it up. Show me another one for sale.

Rob put a list of cars up sold prices from unknown dates of the 20 cars on the list 11 were repaired lots of non turbos, 3 mk1s and one had galactic miles on it to show that prices hadn't increased, I'd like to add since that post the list has had no new addictions so there aren't any recent cars added to it (probably due to Covid affecting sales but who knows) The most expensive car on that list was a 78000km 1996 GT with repair history for 940,000 yen (£6811) + shipping duties etc

Prices are on the rise in Japan for the mr2's and all of the jap cars. Talk to some importers try and buy a high grade low mileage later revision Mr2 turbo if you think I'm away with the fairies

Talking of current values about 2 weeks ago I noticed a UK rev 5 car converted to turbo on eBay asking £8500 and that did not hang around long and again this is a converted car not a genuine rev5 turbo which would be worth more money

Sonicsw20 that Na commanded that price because it was low miles (38,000) and it's probably worth that there really aren't many about at that sort of mileage. It looks a nice car. A pal of mine recently sold two different Na mr2's both over £6k each but clean cars with lower miles.

I'd like my Mr2 even if it was worth 50p I like driving it and it puts a smile on my face. Iv got a few different jap cars at the moment and I do think the Mr2 is undervalued for what they are.

Iv been after a rev5 turbo any colour tinlid or T-bar but it needs to be grade 4 or higher with 50,000 or lower miles for a while and I can't find one. If anyone does know of any nice low mileage rev5 turbos message me
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Part of me wants to get rid of mine anyway, but then god knows what I'll replace it with. The obvious options (porsche lol) do nothing for me and forget using it on a track. Maybe a GT86, but even then ehhh

Probably wouldn't feel this way if I was able to do something with the damn thing this year.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Race Idiot wrote: Maybe a GT86, but even then ehhh

That's exactly what I did a month ago.
Yes, it's not fast - but you drive it fast all the time.
A really fun analogue car. Recommended.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Race Idiot wrote:
Probably wouldn't feel this way if I was able to do something with the damn thing this year.

That's the main reason I got rid of mine, less than 5k miles in 4 years of ownership, waiting for dry days to get it out of the garage etc etc..

I cant see myself ever having another modified/'project' car. you can have a daily that gives as much/more driving enjoyment but instead of having to make an occasion of it a handful of saturdays and sundays a year, you can have it every day.

If you haven't got a bike license I cant recommend it enough too, for those odd weekends when you do fancy trying to launch yourself into a low orbit
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If covid hadn't hit I was planning to do a load of trackdays with my mate who i've helped with a bunch of work on his mx5. Also wanted to do a driving holiday especially now I have the aircon working.

If I manage to get out on track this year I'm sure I'll change my mind though. Saying that if I hadn't started tracking the car years ago I probably would've gotten bored with it pretty quickly.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Race Idiot wrote:Part of me wants to get rid of mine anyway, but then god knows what I'll replace it with. The obvious options (porsche lol) do nothing for me and forget using it on a track. Maybe a GT86, but even then ehhh

I have a Cayman S (long story as not a Porsche fan) and yes it's flipping quick but I much prefer driving the MR2. Seriously looking at changing the Cayman for a GT86,. MR2 is not going anywhere. :D

merde2

Post by merde2 »

I second that view, I had a Cayman 987 S and whilst on paper it was better than an MR2 (Turbo or otherwise) it was just too competent, so for road driving it just felt quite dull 90% of the time. Also didn't like that everyone suddenly thought I'd won the lottery..

The MR2 on the other hand feels special all the time and more fun at normal speeds.

For me modern cars are just too competent and just aren't that fun at safe road speeds.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

100% agree with merde.
MR2TRD8

Spider

Post by MR2TRD8 »

A sw20 spider has sold in Japan auction Nagoya for 3515000 yen around £26000 gbp lot number 50178 :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

That's just insane....!!
C35Rob

Re: Spider

Post by C35Rob »

MR2TRD8 wrote:A sw20 spider has sold in Japan auction Nagoya for 3515000 yen around £26000 gbp lot number 50178 :thumleft:

:puker:

whats the old saying.. money can't buy taste?
MR2TRD8

Post by MR2TRD8 »

C35Rob wrote:
MR2TRD8 wrote:A sw20 spider has sold in Japan auction Nagoya for 3515000 yen around £26000 gbp lot number 50178 :thumleft:

:puker:

whats the old saying.. money can't buy taste?

They are cool cars there's around 90 odd of them. I like them just a shame nearly all of them are silver and none had a 3sgte. At £26k I think it's cheap it was grade 4 with good miles too :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

MR2TRD8 wrote:At £26k I think it's cheap

:lol: let that sink in.. twenty six thousand pounds, "cheap" for a floppy NA SW20 with the roof hacked off.

hats off to you man, you must absolutely love MR2's, either that or this is an elaborate trolling. I hope this is a wind up :clap:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Amen, only a loony would consider throwing that much money away!

Simply not worth the money...not even close, even if it was a special edition, limited anniversary spider no 001 off the line.....even then it's not worth that.

It's an MR2.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I always find it amusing how when a car is viewed as being priced too high the typical response is along the lines of "you can ask for whatever price you want, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay", but when someone actually pays the money its "nah its not worth that, what a mug!".

Can't be both ways!
MR2TRD8

Spider

Post by MR2TRD8 »

That's its sale price so that is what it's worth in the current market place.

I do think it's cheap they are rare cars and that car is a grade 4 and the mileage is good. If I was looking for a spider I'd have been all over it.

Iv got quite a few jap cars at the moment and yes I like my mr2 we are on a mr2 club site so your going to find people who love mr2's on here :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Tis a fair point, well made...but c'mon that is a shed load of cash for basically a G-limited with the roof cut off innit?

But someone did pay that for it...my guess is a collector with so much cash they don't care, they just want the car as part of a collection. In which case rarity and other interested parties at the auction could explain the price, but it's far from a typical example of what an MR2 is worth.

It is interesting that these cars just don't seem to gain value like other marques, aside from Lauren's point as to the lack of motorsport pedigree, it must be cos there were so many made, and they were cheap enough that they got really badly modified most of the time and got a reputation for staying cheap.

The Fast and the furious and the Supra also put another cap on MR2 prices- if they'd used an MR2 we'd be laughing :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”