Mr2 spider for sale in Japan

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Mr2 spider for sale in Japan

Post by SonicSW20 »

It was an auction wasn't it? So 2 or more people thought it was worth somewhere near that.

I'd never pay that for one even if I had the money to throw away, does nothing for me at all. Thats just my preference though.

SW20 does have some motorsport pedigree, it had some great success in the GT300 category in the mid/late 90's. Of course, that doesn't really translate outside of Japan as it was a regional (abeit high profile) series.

Do you keep up with the pricing in the American market at all? Genuinely clean and stock US market turbos are selling for upwards of 20kUSD now if everything is in order / miles are reasonably low. US market does seem to operate in its own bubble (probably due to the 25yr import law making it difficult or impossible to get hold of certain cars until very recently), but its interesting how much more they sell for over there.
MR2TRD8

Post by MR2TRD8 »

ashley wrote:Tis a fair point, well made...but c'mon that is a shed load of cash for basically a G-limited with the roof cut off innit?

But someone did pay that for it...my guess is a collector with so much cash they don't care, they just want the car as part of a collection. In which case rarity and other interested parties at the auction could explain the price, but it's far from a typical example of what an MR2 is worth.

It is interesting that these cars just don't seem to gain value like other marques, aside from Lauren's point as to the lack of motorsport pedigree, it must be cos there were so many made, and they were cheap enough that they got really badly modified most of the time and got a reputation for staying cheap.

The Fast and the furious and the Supra also put another cap on MR2 prices- if they'd used an MR2 we'd be laughing :lol:

Mr2's are surprisingly hard to find in good condition with low miles. I'm still looking for a rev5 turbo with a good budget and I haven't found the car yet. Yes there is still 90,000+ milers with not great condition to be had at sensible money but try buying a mint one
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2TRD8 wrote:

Mr2's are surprisingly hard to find in good condition with low miles. I'm still looking for a rev5 turbo with a good budget and I haven't found the car yet. Yes there is still 90,000+ milers with not great condition to be had at sensible money but try buying a mint one

I wouldn't be surprised if many are holding off for them to be US legal. Astonishing how many low milers came up for 1990-1994 each year as they became US legal... Assuming the numbers were legitimate of course.
JD

Post by JD »

Hello IMOC, good to see you still exist. I had a note through the door and a visit yesterday from a young chap interested in buying my car. It's not been advertised yet. On the phone he said he "runs the owners club" which turned out to be a faceache group and an insta page, and also said he's "well known in the industry", so make no mistake, we're dealing with a big shot here, but I'm maybe being a bit harsh since he was polite, and did actually come and have a chat rather than just bombard me with requests for best price over messages. Highlights included prodding at the AC condenser and telling me "the radiator is in bad shape, does it overheat?" (uh, that's the AC condenser, mate), and insisting that a Rev 3 turbo needs an FCD and being totally perplexed as to why it didn't have one fitted. Anyway, it wasn't an unpleasant negotiation, and he left an offer of £2250 with me, followed up by a text last night asking for a spec list and photos, so I suppose he's keen to get ahead of me putting an ad out. I dunno if this has any relevance whatsoever, but I since this seems to have evolved into a general thread about values, I thought I'd share that. Possible re-up on premium membership + advert to follow. Car now has ticket and tax, and I even treated it to a trip to the Shell station yesterday. Lovely stuff. No idea whatsoever how to price mine so I might just start it at £25,000 which I think is fair because I've knocked off a grand because it's not a Spider.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Cool story bro. No really, I had a little chuckle! Did their first name begin with J?

I owe you a PM in fact...
JD

Post by JD »

SonicSW20 wrote:Cool story bro. No really, I had a little chuckle! Did their first name begin with J?

I owe you a PM in fact...

Actually not him as it happens, but of course he'd heard of him. Truly infamous.
MR2TRD8

Sw20

Post by MR2TRD8 »

C35Rob wrote:The prices on goo-net etc are comedy asking prices, as nice as it may be to think your MR2 may be worth something close to that (even half), if you do you're on drugs.

for a real idea of what they are worth/selling for in japan you need to be looking at the current auction prices

like here

https://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auctio ... esults.htm

non turbos are circa 200k jpy - about £3300 on the road in the UK if you do the process yourself

turbos are around 500k JPY - about £6300 on the road in the UK if you do the process yourself

obviously a big chunk of that is shipping, duties etc. Shocker. MR2's are no more valuable in japan than they are in the UK.

obviously there are a few genuine museum quality cars that may fetch more money if you can find someone who actually wants one that much, and Americans will happily pay way over the odds for any old tat.

lets be real, nobody is paying 30k, 20k or even 10k for an MR2.

Thought I'd revisit this thread. I noticed that list of current sold auction prices is growing and prices are still creeping. There's a rev 5 non turbo auto on there ultra low miles (well that's what I think it is) for just under 2mil yen and 4 other different sw20s all over 1 mil yen, one a grade 3.5 1993 Gts 61,000 km for 1375000yen

Iv still had no joy on the hunt for a nice rev5 turbo. I still think they are cheap but I think I'm the only one on here who thinks that way

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”