Central locking/remote central locking - Rev 3 turbo UPDATE: Diagnosis Gidden

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Central locking/remote central locking - Rev 3 turbo UPDATE: Diagnosis Gidden

Post by JD »

Ever since I got the car back from gidden the doors won't lock or unlock with the fob. It's been anywhere or done much in that time but I remember he said something about probably having left something unplugged and now I have no idea where that might be or why he would have touched it anyway.

I've got an aftermarket Toad alarm/immob, and currently much of the interior removed looking for something. I can't make head nor tails of the BGB because I'm thick. Am I missing something obvious? I'm having to go full help vampire on this.

ps - hello.
Last edited by JD on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauln

Re: Central locking/remote central locking - Rev 3 turbo UPDATE: Diagnosis Gidden

Post by Pauln »

Assuming the master locking push button on the drivers side window control panel works OK and locks the doors, it sounds like the connection between the locking mechanism and your alarm is unplugged or faulty.

I don't have a Toad alarm on my car, but when I recently changed the driver's side loom for a folding mirror type I found that the red/white and yellow wires in the old door loom on my rev 2 turbo had additional wires spliced into them in the foot well, and these ran back to the alarm unit. Your setup may be different, but I'd certainly look to see if there are signs of additional wires splice into the door loom and whether these are actually connected to anything.

I suppose it's also possible that when installed they could have run additional wires alongside the usual door loom to make the link, but that sounds like a lot more trouble than splicing into the loom in the foot well.

Do you have the Toad alarm installation guide as that should show which wires on the alarm should be connected to the door locking mechanism.

If you don't and it's a Toad ai606 alarm, I have a copy you can have.

Hope that helps point you at the sort of things to check.

Paul
JD

Re: Central locking/remote central locking - Rev 3 turbo UPDATE: Diagnosis Gidden

Post by JD »

Thanks Paul, that could be very useful. It looks like the install here is as yours is, but without finding the the paperwork from the original install I'm not sure if it's an ai606 or not. Unfortunately the master door lock switch doesn't work either for me. It seems like it's just not getting power?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Had Gidden been inside the door for some reason. If he had and the master switch isn't working either, it's possible the connectors to the actual mechanism inside the door are loose or weren't plugged back in.

You can see the white and gray connectors in this photo where the plastic has been pulled back.

Is anything else not working on the master switch panel on the drivers door?

Did you find any wires spliced into the door loom in the drivers foot well?
and if so are they connected to your Toad Alarm?

If you want a copy of the Toad Alarm installation guide drop me a PM with your email address so I can forward it on.

Paul
JD

Post by JD »

I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have had any reason to go into the door. I did take the door card off the other day but didn't peel back any of the plastic as it looked undisturbed. There is a wire spliced into the door loom before the connector in the footwell. I've taken a photo but I can't get my phone camera to focus. Hopefully that makes sense. The window switches work and I can adjust the mirrors.

Peter did fiddle about with the wiring for the gauges in my A pillar (boost and oil temp), and I don't recall exactly why as they functioned fine before the car was with him, but I'm sure he had his reasons (something about power to the dash lights?). I've had the bottom of the dash out and the glovebox out looking for where the door control ECU is but I can't see it. If that's unplugged for some reason it looks like it would be a dash-out job to locate and plug back in/replace. I think I'm supposed to be looking for a small yellow thing like this, maybe somewhere behind the heater controls.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

OK, if he's not been in the door and the plastic sheet looks undisturbed it's unlikely that those two connectors are the issue.

I believe this is the location of the yellow door control module. Steering wheel column on left, my alarm on the right.

I've not pulled it off to check, but it makes sense to be there because I had to install the folding mirror relay/module to the right of the yellow one. If you don't have folding mirrors, you'll find a spare plug around that location.

You can get to it by crawling into the drivers side foot well with a torch. Being on the large side, I took the seat out to give me a bit more space. You may also find it easier to spot if you drop out the plastic air duct that connects to the far right air vent on the dash. I've a feeling that I also dropped the lower right hand dash panel with the switches and coin drawer. But you certainly don't have to take the dash out.

The only snag is I believe this ecu is also used to adjust the mirrors, which you say are working OK. But I guess it's possible that the unit may not be fully plugged in to it's socket. Certainly worth checking. It could also be faulty. I managed to fry my folding mirror relay when I did the folding mirror mod, but it was still partially functioning, which initially confused me and made me look elsewhere.

In terms of the wire spliced into the door loom inside the footwell, I would have expected two wires rather than one, or is that a twin cable. It might be worth taking the insulation tape of to see how good a join it is, and then follow that back to your alarm to make sure it's connected.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Paul
JD

Post by JD »

Well it looks like I may have solved the problem. The door control module appears to be missing entirely! Thanks Peter!
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Glad you're making progress. Hopefully obtaining a replacement door control module should sort things out. But it's hard to fathom why on earth PG removed it in the first place. It's hardly in the way tucked up there.

Paul
JD

Post by JD »

Paul, my doors locked with both fob and door switch before going to Peter. After collecting from him, they didn't. At that point after the best part of three years, and excuse after shaggy dog story excuse, I just wanted my car back. It's not a stretch to think that perhaps he "borrowed" it for diagnostic purposes or goodness knows what with a another persons car. He tended to do that. He borrowed another customer's engine ECU and told me not to tell them because they'd be upset (his "best mate", Craig) so he could do something with mine.

I certainly never had cause to remove my own door control module, especially when I didn't even know where it was supposed to be until you kindly pointed it out. I'm sure Gidden's white knights will be in promptly to shut me down or usher me into a trader feedback thread.

Anyway, I don't mean this to sound like I'm snapping at you, it's just one more little "gotcha" from Gidden I've found now I'm finally trying to get the car back on the road.

Thanks for your help :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Probably got chucked back on the to do shelf and promptly forgotten about after "borrowing" it :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

SonicSW20 wrote:Probably got chucked back on the to do shelf and promptly forgotten about after "borrowing" it :lol:

I'm fully expecting something else to let the smoke out when the replacement arrives and I plug it in :roll:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Just FYI I was in full support of removing him as a trader. He's damaged this site beyond repair because let's face it, You're not the only one who felt the forum was here to serve him.

Hopefully fitting a new module sorts it for you.
JD

Post by JD »

I know, thanks Ryan. I was having a bit of a whinge (not like me at all :lol:). Not having been around much I forget how things changed once a few people had just about had enough with him, although it seemed like the destroying of the site was more a slow decline in favour of the facebooks et al, anyway.

I can now report that the locking functions as intended! Bonza. I've still got various jobs to do but it almost looks like I can see an MOT test on the horizon.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent man, You'll need to get a thread up about the car. I'm gonna do a fresh one as soon as mine is finished. I actually can't even remember what your car looks like now I think about it!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

It's red and is supposed to have direct port meth injection. Did that job ever get completed JD?

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

oh nice, Keen to see that if it's been done!
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

JD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have had any reason to go into the door. I did take the door card off the other day but didn't peel back any of the plastic as it looked undisturbed. There is a wire spliced into the door loom before the connector in the footwell. I've taken a photo but I can't get my phone camera to focus. Hopefully that makes sense. The window switches work and I can adjust the mirrors.

Peter did fiddle about with the wiring for the gauges in my A pillar (boost and oil temp), and I don't recall exactly why as they functioned fine before the car was with him, but I'm sure he had his reasons (something about power to the dash lights?). I've had the bottom of the dash out and the glovebox out looking for where the door control ECU is but I can't see it. If that's unplugged for some reason it looks like it would be a dash-out job to locate and plug back in/replace. I think I'm supposed to be looking for a small yellow thing like this, maybe somewhere behind the heater controls.

You have PM mate.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Oh my i thought we had heard the last of "Tales from the Gidden" as with Ryan I was 110% in support of removing his traders position & removing from here totally, in fact I was chomping at the bit early on.

I have to admit I always thought to be honest it was a conflict with him being Admin etc, anyway apologies old ground please do resurrect.

JD i really wish i could advise on your issue, but it appears you are getting solid advice

I do hope you get it sorted, i im just gob smacked at the stories, that complaint about him on "Mums Net" was highly amusing for all the wrong reasons

Regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”