Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Equium Duo

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Equium Duo »

Thats really interesting to know, thanks Ryan. Such a great source of information for me.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://youtu.be/x728lh_A97c

Not sure which run this was but it spat out a massive big flame at the end :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Equium Duo wrote:Thats really interesting to know, thanks Ryan. Such a great source of information for me.

Actually to add to your question...I also wouldn't have bothered with my custom inlet manifold. Not having an idle speed control valve can be a pain when restarting the car, It conks out unless you rev it a bit. Not the end of the world but it annoys me. Also...and this is the biggest thing...In hindsight I wish i'd went for a smaller turbo. A gtx28 sized one. Aim for about 400bhp (340-350 at the wheels) and have more useable power. Mine does drive nice but it's not like stock, People take for granted just what a great job Toyota did with these and part of that was the turbo spooling so quickly. Also..at that power level you can keep with a side mount intercooler. Something else that i'd liked to have done although now the chargecooler system is there i do like it. It has been faultless in 7000 miles now.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Thanks man!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Soooooo.....

Had my first proper drive tonight. Got in a bit of a race with an RS3, It couldn't keep up. Unfortunately the traffic police came flying out of a petrol station and stopped me! They were more interested in the car than charging me with anything so that was lucky.

Onto how the car drives...It's mind blowing, It is sooo much quicker than my old 335i which was slightly higher power. The power delivery is so good...Spools nice up to 15psi then 29psi comes out of nowhere, Just instantly, it is absolutely savage, The noise of the turbo is something I've really missed but now the horrible screamer pipe is gone the turbo seems so loud. Don't get me wrong...I've had 3 zx12r's, One of which was over 200bhp. But in a car it is a very different feeling.

I took the backroads home and just used the low boost setting, By sheer coincidence it is the perfect power level and dare I say power delivery (there's no timing added to the low boost map) for the backroads. It's still 335@ the hubs on low boost but the slightly slower spool works so well with it.

Anyway I'm absolutely loving the car just now. Got a few wee jobs but nothing mad. Need to wire in engine lid fans and fit a new radiator. And as usual i'm still chasing this bloody rattle!
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

This is so cool to read, I'm excited with you! :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Haha thanks man. I'll get some videos but ideally need a passenger. I cannot believe the way the car pulled away from the RS3. He "initiated" the race, Obviously on backroads he'd have it but this was in a straight line on the dual carriageway :)

I am still shocked at how it drives and not having the rev limit at 6400 feels strange having so much revs left on boost. My rev limit is 7500 now which is hopefully pretty safe :D
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I'm really happy for you Ryan, it's has been a LONG road :clap:

I agree with you about the turbo. CT20B is an underrated turbo for what it is. I went from CT20B to a GT3076. Nothing until 4.5rpm. Because of this, I changed to a GTX gen II of the same turbo, like night and day.
Was an easy (relatively) swap as the dimensions were the same.

Enjoy your new beast. Tell us more about the rs3 was it the new one?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah the ct20 is perfectly matched for the mr2 in my opinion. The way mine drives now isn't too far from stock although it obviously still isn't. I'm pretty sure the RS3 was a 19 plate, I actually thought it was an RS4 but the police informed me it was a 3. Hard to tell as i only seen him in my mirror and he was getting further away the entire time 😂

Just for reference the turbo I have...I've seen a direct comparison dyno graph with mine vs a gtx3076 (albeit on an evo) and mine just pips it for spool time. So the performance you're talking about will be very much how mine is driving just now. I think the biggest difference though is when it was at 15psi before it wasn't making the power it is now. So even in low boost where the power per psi is a bit lower (due to the timing) it's still much more power than it made. Put it this way, The lag is no longer an issue at all :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Just rinsed an evo 9 from a standing start. Was chatting with the dude before hand. He did ok in 1st and 2nd but in 3rd I was lorry lengths infront. Private road obviously.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Obliterated a focus RS. Gonna make a new post and update it weekly haha!
fastasfkk

race

Post by fastasfkk »

get some cameras so we can see
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Deffo gonna man! I have a go pro mount on my cubby between the seats. Will obviously have to face it backwards 😂😂😂
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

awesome man :-) good work, glad the dyno finally happened haha.

and yes... videos please!
fastasfkk

racer

Post by fastasfkk »

any vids :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Car's off the road coz the power has knackered the CV joints! Waiting on an upgraded set from chico raceworks :(
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Car's off the road coz the power has knackered the CV joints! Waiting on an upgraded set from chico raceworks :(

Damn!!! :evil:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I know. One hard launch and they were toast!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Couple of pics from a recent show/meet.

Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Nice dude.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”