Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

Never even realised it was leaking until now. I've a feeling the "quick release" ring has shaken loose. I had another identical one spare anyway which I've changed the spring in and checked for leaks and all is good. Saturday is pretty big day for the car then if all goes well on Monday it is 100% finished. It'd be hard to point out a part other than obvious things that hasn't been replaced.
All new suspension, ball joints , bushes and tyres. If the car rides bad after this I'll drive it into the sea! To be fair i'm fairly sure the drivers side rear spherical bearing is causing that weirdness at the back. I did the inner bush and that alone made a big difference.

Also looking forward to hearing my Berk on full chat! It's inaudible over the screamer :( I'll update in Monday. I'm gonna stay with the car this time, As much as I hate seeing it being done I do want to be present this time so may get a vid or two.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

What a nightmare you've been having mate. Hopefully all will be right in the end

What's the full name of your fuel pump? I've got a Walbro, nothing wrong with it the almost 6 years I've had it but it doesn't half whine after a spirited drive.

I've learnt to live with it but will be interesting to know how reliable your new pump is

Good luck :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/aem-32 ... -pump.html

This is the one I have here (you can get an e85 one for a tenner more). It is completely silent. Can't hear it at all.

Yeah god knows what the deal with the walbro was, On inspection it certainly appeared to be genuine right enough. I do notice with the aem installed i now get 70 miles in the nose every time from £20 of v-power. Before with the walbro i would get anywhere between 40-90 miles. So something deffo wasn't right. I still habe the walbro and i'm keen to test it but everything points to it being the culprit!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Hope all goes well for you mate. Watching with interest :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

JAAASH wrote:Hope all goes well for you mate. Watching with interest :thumleft:

5th time lucky mate haha!! Ach it is what it is, I'm not stressed about it at all. I've done everything I can to ensure this time goes smoothly so fingers crossed. It did make 430bhp before. Just glad the pump never failed during a hard pull!
fastasfkk

walbro450

Post by fastasfkk »

mine isnt noisy
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it seems to be totally hit or miss with them.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Got my wastegate sorted. What night and day difference, The spool is sooooo quick now. 30psi by 4krpm!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Jesus christ what a day....so got all the bushes done. Completely transformed the car. Obviously the wastegate issue has transformed performance. All ready for mapping right? WRONG!!! on my way to work tonight and my alternator packs in haha!! A friend has one locally so spending tomorrow doing that. Also had a near head on collision with a bus! Stopped literally less than a meter away from it after locking up and leaving an 30 foot long 11 on the road!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So no mapping today as the alternator i got didn't fit the bracket. Ordered one the same part no. As the one that came off. Not a nice job to do on the driveway but it's ready for the new alternator to go on. Been chasing a rattle from the engine bay for months now and suspect the alternator, So hopefully replacing this with a new one (something I wish i'd done before putting the engine in) will sort out the annoying rattle! New alternator is on its way and mapping rebooked. I'm not gonna say the date as I think I jynx it everytime 😂

I am soooo looking forward to it being mapped the way it boosts now!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

New alternator on. Ended up getting a brand new one. My rattle has gone thank god!! Was beginning to drive me to despair 😂

Edit: Oh spoke to soon. After a drive it is very much still there 😭😭😭
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

is it a heat shield rattle ? mine exhaust one in engine bay did now the under boot exhaust shield is its a bit rotten go a new one to put on
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i don't have any heat shields Bri so deffo not that. It does sound like the same noise though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Currently making 397@ the hubs with a few psi left to go.

Video on the FB page.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

409@ the hubs. Told him to leave it there :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Done one more run. 420@ the hubs.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Man thats amazing,

that car is going to feel so good.

How are you feeling about it? Whats your best decision and what would you do differently if you were back at the start knowing what you know now?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It is soooo nice to drive now. It is muuuuch faster than its ever been.

The one thing i'd do different would be using a internally gated turbo. External wastegate is totally pointless in my opinion and i ended up hating the sound of the screamer so did away with it in the end.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Nice one Ryan. I thought the same with the WG, was horrid unless you were in hero mode then it was awesome. But it's not the top gun fighter jet sound that everyone talks about.

Should be exactly the right sweet spot now. Whatever you do, don't chase for more power. It'll lead for down a shitty path of dissapointment.

Enjoy!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah screamers sound awful on a 4cylinder. I have absolutely no interest in more power man. The car is driving soooo nice just now. Managed to get a wee 2nd gear pull and it is just phenomenal for a 90's Jap car. If i wanted more power I'd honestly start with a better base car. Getting more power from 2 litre 4 bangers is just too big an ask and ruins the driveability . Honestly my car is just on the verge of nice/rubbish.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”