Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

That's my block been to the machine shop. Bores measured for roundness (bores are perfect). Decked and honed. New rings, timing belt (it's been on the engine 4 years now), new head gasket and new main bearings. Hopefully sorted for summer or sooner!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So the old block came out today and after extremely thorough investigation there are no cracks to be seen anywhere. It looks like a perfectly healthy bottom end. When it broke down I definitely had steam coming from the exhaust. I actually though at the time (while in denial about the block being cracked) that maybe the CC core had let go and water was going into the intake but I checked the CC water lever and it was fine. So is there any other way water can go through the engine? Or is it possible that we just cannot see the crack but it is there? I really don't want to put the engine back in just to take it out again due to the same symptoms.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

soooo, Turns out i've had the head gasket fail. It wasn't immediately obvious but when the layers were split apart it was melted underneath. So no new block required. I'll keep the rev5 one (and new rings) as spares for when it does go!!! Trying to post pics but imgur is knackered.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

You were running that much boost though :-k what CR are you running, also are you changing your CC setup?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah 29psi. CR is 9:01 (although sure it's 8:5 with a 1.2mm head gasket) The issue has been not retorquing the head bolts. I did check the torque after running it in but forgot to check it after being mapped and running full boost. Lesson learned! That's the engine back in with new head gasket and timing belt. Running away sweet as a nut again.

I'm tempted to go with the ATS top/side mount intercooler. 1200 dollars though! Insane price. But yeah I'd like to bin the CC setup as I've lost faith in it.
Inquisitor1906

Post by Inquisitor1906 »

Ryan S wrote:Car's off the road coz the power has knackered the CV joints! Waiting on an upgraded set from chico raceworks :(

Out of interest :shock: What torque your car has made?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah 29psi. CR is 9:01 (although sure it's 8:5 with a 1.2mm head gasket) The issue has been not retorquing the head bolts. I did check the torque after running it in but forgot to check it after being mapped and running full boost. Lesson learned! That's the engine back in with new head gasket and timing belt. Running away sweet as a nut again.

I'm tempted to go with the ATS top/side mount intercooler. 1200 dollars though! Insane price. But yeah I'd like to bin the CC setup as I've lost faith in it.

Not tempted by a boot mount?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Made 354lbs.

Ah yeah I am very tempted by a boot mount!! Saves a lot of f*cking about. I've done absolutely nothing to the car lately. It's sat at my friends garage :( I'd sell it today if it was 100% sorted but it needs some work and I'd be costing myself a lot by not sorting the issues first. Namely welding :(
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Made 354lbs.

Ah yeah I am very tempted by a boot mount!! Saves a lot of f*cking about. I've done absolutely nothing to the car lately. It's sat at my friends garage :( I'd sell it today if it was 100% sorted but it needs some work and I'd be costing myself a lot by not sorting the issues first. Namely welding :(

my only thoughts are a lot of new/modern cars with boost are now running CC's over front mounts. So maybe CC is still the way to go :-)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

picked up my 5s block. cant wait to get going. taking it over to Nathan Freke's recommended machinist for bore/hone/deck in a few weeks. :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”