Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

630bhp from a 2 litre four cylinder is always gonna feel different from 630 in a v6. The 2gr without a turbo is something ridiculous like 250bhp at 2k rpm. There's no turbo 2 litre making that kind of low down grunt. My friend is toying with a NA 2gr over his 2.2 HKS built 700-800bhp 3sgte. The mr2 for me is always gonna be a bit of a project and I can't see how there's a better platform that a 3.5 litre (4 litre if bored out) V6. I'd be keen to use the EFR range on this also!
fastasfkk

power

Post by fastasfkk »

wow 250bhp at 2000rpm that destroys an audi r8 v10+ are you sure thats correct?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

No idea, Just going on what I remember Paul Woods saying. It's ridiculously high compared to a 3sgte at the same revs though! I'll be buying an R8 this year as well so sure I can put them head to head :D:D

Either way it's comparing apples to oranges, The 2GR is also lighter than the 3sgte and sounds incredible!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

mm think thats the torque figure you are quoting as the 2GR makes about 280whp at something like 6500rpm IIRC
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Quite possible but the point still remains that it makes way more power lower down than a 3sgte ever could. I feel I've outgrown 4 cylinders, I had a 500bhp 335i and the low down grunt was phenomenal. That's not to say the mr2 wouldn't win a race but I'm after high power and maximum driveability from it and you can't have both (to the extent I want) from a 2 litre engine :(
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Donald wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:mm think thats the torque figure you are quoting as the 2GR makes about 280whp at something like 6500rpm IIRC

Not always..it depends on particular vehicle and not as high as 280whp..realistically 250bhp if you're lucky. Just to stress that out 250bhp as in Toyota's not 280whp!

Ta

280whp in mr2 conversions - near enough. First guy to do it got 275whp and created the kits to make it all work

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/2grfe-how ... st-3529038

ryan - cubes make it easier for sure and as you say it's what you want for your car. Enjoy it, they sound amazing (having been in one / followed one)
fastasfkk

RS3

Post by fastasfkk »

FASTER BETTER USE EVERYDAY
Last edited by fastasfkk on Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So....from my research (reading what Paul woods has achieved) the 2GR with decent exhaust, filter and cams can do around 350 and I believe Lotus have eeked 370bhp from them. However, Those figures are irrelevant to me, I'll be going fully forged and turbo charged. And absolutely 100% buy another car! Start with a better base etc and I will...But i'll be keeping my mr2 as well because it's the car I always wanted. It's a money pit but it's MY money pit, It will never keep up with a modern can in any respect on any level but that's not why I own a mr2 and never will be :D:D I can reiterate enough just how important displacement is with regards to what I want from the car! Realistically a drama free 500bhp or if I really want potentially over 1000bhp. Peak figure is unimportant and in hindsight I wish i'd taken seriously the advice told to me during my original build however these are mistakes one has to make personally before learning the lesson:)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Donald wrote:

280whp in mr2 conversions - near enough. First guy to do it got 275whp and created the kits to make it all work

2gr-fe 280whp in MR2 conversions lol You can get more then that out of stock 3sgte easily without spending half a million. If you read that build carefully you'll find that he has to make custom exhaust manifolds to reach that power level..that's extra on the top of half the million! Torque figures very disappointing compare what you'll have to pay for this conversion in UK. There are better conversion could be done then 2gr,1mz-fe..the later one is the worst[/quote]

Compared to what I've already done to the car a custom exhaust manifold is literally nothing in terms of expense or hassle. What I'm talking about is a blank cheque V6 build for the car I've owned for 9 years and intend to own the rest of my life. I've sunk EASILY £30k into it at this point (probably closer to £45k). I have the financial resources to sink another £45k into it if I feel like it. So a custom exhaust manifold really is something I was assuming i'd need anyway. Stock 3sgte and stock 2GR really aren't something I give a toss about. My current 480bhp build is largely custom. If it wasn't for the absurdity i'd be looking at a 2jz in there. My main point is I don't like the way a 2 litre with a massive turbo attached works. Simple as that. I've had mr2s for 20 years. I know exactly what I want from it and the current setup just doesn't cut it for me. Nor would bolting on an EFR turbo.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Donald wrote:

2gr-fe 280whp in MR2 conversions lol You can get more then that out of stock 3sgte easily without spending half a million. If you read that build carefully you'll find that he has to make custom exhaust manifolds to reach that power level..that's extra on the top of half the million! Torque figures very disappointing compare what you'll have to pay for this conversion in UK. There are better conversion could be done then 2gr,1mz-fe..the later one is the worst

half a million? What are you talking about? I read the build as he was posting it, also the "1mz + case of beer" threads on there so I'm good with what I post here thank you.
Regarding the 2GR, he made the manifolds and exhausts as the stock units were not great (for a sports car) and didn't really suit the engine bay of the mr2 and many folks go custom top mount manifolds on the 3SGTE engine anyway. Point is, 275-280whp out of the box with OEM reliability using OEM ECU from the donor car. That was the point of the conversion for him and he was nice enough to post everything he did and make / commission conversion kits for others to follow.
Others have had high power turbo 3SGTE and yet found the 2GR to be an easier car to drive fast both on the road and track days so it's a proven conversion.
Doesn't suit you? No problem but try be accurate :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Don't engage dude. This user was meant to banned donkeys ago. Why he's managed to pop up is beyond me (always on my threads too). He's a moron. Hence my snotty post.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Ryan S wrote:Don't engage dude. This user was meant to banned donkeys ago. Why he's managed to pop up is beyond me (always on my threads too). He's a moron. Hence my snotty post.

haha he did seem like a troll but one likes to confirm before ignoring the pie. Difficult job keeping the nuggets out, they seem to have to much time of their hands, esp these days!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your car next :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers dude, As said, Repair the 3sgte, run it while building the 2gr! I'm certainly not trying to discredit the 3s. It's a phenomenal power plant. Just now what I want!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

In all honesty, the best, easiest, most reliable and tested option is a K-swap imho.

A stock unopened engine will deal with 500hp, the swap kits are readily available and very well priced and the platform still has HUGE support.

It's not a rare or expensive engine and easy to build, replace to improve upon for 500, 600 or more with relative ease.

If I was to ever do it again, I'd go K.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That's something i thought a lot about at the time to be honest! However, I am so sold on putting a 2GR in there. I really do want that massive engine sat in the bay :) Having a 2 litre engine no longer appeals to me.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Wahay! Managed to source a rev5 square edge block!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

3sge? Or 3sgte. My forged build is going 98+ 3sge square edged :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

3sge bud. Same as yours :)

Little known fact about the oil squirter situation. The oil squirters are on ALL UK engines. A JDM NA does not come with oil squirters, Only the turbos do.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:3sge bud. Same as yours :)

Little known fact about the oil squirter situation. The oil squirters are on ALL UK engines. A JDM NA does not come with oil squirters, Only the turbos do.

awesome :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Looking forward to getting it sorted! I wanted to do the rods anyway so now i'll have a chance!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”