Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers man. In other new my. CRW upgraded CV joints arrive tomorrow so hopefully be mobile again by the weekend!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Looks mean mate!!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Wasn't even washed ha! Got my CRW balls and cages today. Hopefully be back on the road next week :)
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Is there anyway we can see and hear a video of your car at launch / full throttle?

Ps I'm not on FB but am on insta
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah sure. As soon as it's on the road again i'll get some vids. Still dealing with a sticky shifter so gear changes aren't the quickest.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Nice to see you're using the car as it should be Ryan. Good man!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's been my daily driver for a year now :) in fact, My wheels could do with a refurb again!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Wahay! Back on the road. Fitted another shaft and my rattle is gone! So it was obviously coming from the shaft somewhere. Good to have it back on the road :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Wahay! Back on the road. Fitted another shaft and my rattle is gone! So it was obviously coming from the shaft somewhere. Good to have it back on the road :)

awesome work man, videos plz haha :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'll get some this weekend. Videos never do the feeling of how it drive any justice though but I'll get some anyway!
fastasfkk

race

Post by fastasfkk »

get some decent races up
archangel

Post by archangel »

Man just noticed this thread and read the whole thing. So happy to hear you obviously enjoying your mr2.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah well the plot thickens! My CC system decided to randomly stop pumping water after a faultless 8000 miles, turned out the little valve on the pre-rad was open slightly. Blew a load of hot air into the engine and either burst the head gasket or cracked the block. So away to whip engine out this week and have a look. Suspecting cracked block. Bought an audi TT for winter and it's made me realise that I want to run a much smaller turbo on the mr2. So my plan is to replace the block (assuming it's that) with a rev5 one if i can find one and go with a GTX28 turbo kit. I actually want to fit a 2gr turbo to it so i'm gonna look into that tol and potentially build one up on the side. I'm taking over another business in a few months too so very pushed for time as always! But yeh I feel like 480bhp is just simply too much for the road, I think 350-400bhp with a really quick spool will be a much nicer drive.
The way it pulls from 3k to 7200rpm really is just too intense for a road car. I know you might be thinking that I'm just being a pansy but I had a 200bhp zx12 and have taken that up to over 200mph. So believe me, The mr2 is just way too intense for what I want, It's basically a drag car that you can drive around.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Dude :(

Gutted! Really loved your build.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ach i'm not overly fussed about it. Engine's out this week. It's either head gasket or the block. I do suspect the block though. I don't know why there wasn't a limp mode mapped into the ecu but rest assured there will be this time. Car's off the road for winter anyway and because my engine bay is so sparse removing the engine is suuuuch an easy job now. I wanted to do the rods and put in adjustable cams over winter anyway so one way or another, the engine was coming out :D
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

any updates dude?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Na none at all. Not had time to get the engine out :( I do have an update on my plan though! Gonna repair the car (now I'm typing this I feel I've maybe posted this already) and run it while building a forged 2GR on the side. 2litre engines simply aren't suited for 500bhp. I don't mean that they will break or anything like that, I just mean a 3.5 litre with the turbo i use now would be soooo much better, Zero lag, Instant torque etc. This is deffo the route I want to go down so that is very much the plan :D
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I just mean a 3.5 litre with the turbo i use now would be soooo much better, Zero lag, Instant torque etc. This is deffo the route I want to go down so that is very much the plan :D

My next build (way in the future) would be a V6 and setup to handle alot of power :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's the low down grunt the 2 litre really lacks. I mean with a ct20 the drivability is perfect but just lacks the power I want from it. What I've learned over this build is there's no replacement for displacement! I've never heard that phrase ring so true!! Big lazy v6 not even close to its limits would be ideal for me I think!
fastasfkk

POWER

Post by fastasfkk »

well i must say with 700hp on tap easily i had no problems with tourque would destroy most v6s easily just need a new highly efficient turbo etc efr incredible for 105 twinscroll 7670 630bhp on vpower most v6s dream of this it was only the turbo limiting power

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”