Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

So I'm always moaning about the forum being quiet and then realised I've not posted in ages.

Latest update with the car is Ive done over 6000 trouble free miles. Currently running 430bhp but I have a 6500 rev limit due to fluctuating fuel pressure over 7krpm.

I'm away to fit a top feed fuel rail and 1000cc bosch injectors at the weekend with the dyno booked for the 3rd of June

At present the car drives ok but it's not exactly how I imagined a 430bhp would drive, A lot of lag then BANG 4krpm it's off like a rocket. Sooooo, Is there anything the mapper can do to make this any better? I know there's no timing added to the map yet, It's making its power from the boost alone really. Or is this just something I have to get used to? I mean I've no doubt it'll feel a hell of a lot better when I have a proper rev limit but just looking for some input. As for the injectors and fuel rail I really regret not doing this in the first place!
Last edited by Ryan S on Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rossonza
Premium Member

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by rossonza »

Im no expert but im sure you can ramp in the boost using the boost controller.

basically ask it to give you more boost than your target low down, and as the boost is built tail off the boost target.

i noticed when messing with my boost controller how much harder my boost came in compared to running the stock setup doing exaclty as i have done above.

Your mapper should be able to advise.

video of the dyno please dude
:thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ah, one thing i'm pretty sure of is that the boost is coming on as fast and hard as possible. I'm at 5psi by 3k, 10psi by 3.5k and 15psi at 4k then 29psi by 4.5k as it's right in the sweet spot by then. There's just not a lot of power at 5,10,15psi. I'll see what he says as it was a very conservative map due to the fuel pressure issue.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

yeah but stock internals boost 32psi blahh ha ha

do a video of the dyno run mate be goods to hear & see :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Oh we'll see man. I absolutely hate watching it so usually go away 😂
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Exciting times!

Looking forward to seeing your results.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah me too! I'm actually really excited to get a proper rev limit! Despite my complaints about the car it actually does drive really well and I maybe exaggerate how bad the lag is, If you're in the right gear and right revs it's no different from stock, just more powerful. It's the times you're caught in the wrong gear is where you notice it most and the 6500 rev limit means changing gear really early.

I'll post up the new graph providing all goes well :)
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Good luck mate don't think it will be an issue when you can rev it out.

From 1st gear to 5th going to the limiter you will be In the boost through the gears so it won't be slow.

However wanting power pre 4k rpm is something these little 2 liters do not produce if you want 500 bhp. 4k to 8k rpm is plenty of power band I found.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

To be honest man i think i'll be happy enough once the limit is lifted. What stock valve springs good for? 8k? I do see a lot of fumes out the back when I boot it so I still think it's a bit rich so some power being sapped.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So complete disaster with my top feeds. The rail won't clear my inlet, It's a custom side feed thing and it's just simply too high at one end. I did however do away with the deadhead configuration so now it's just a regular feed and return. The car is now idling wildy high and has a misfire when off throttle. Not all bad new as i'm now seeing 5psi at 2krpm instead of 3krpm. Car is much more lively although it seems to just flood out under anything more than 5psi. So i'm still going ahead with the dyno session on Wednesday. See what happens. Extremely annoyed but hey ho!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So turns out one of the head to rail seals (on no.4) popped off during fitting. Engine was drawing air causing the high idle. Sorted now. Car drives great and my wee flat spot is away, Also idling sooooo much better. Excited for mapping now.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Timing will help bring power in earlier, but its more a fine tuning tool than a magic unlock for the low end.

What turbo are you using? Tried looking through your post history but its broken after the 1st page still.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's a borg warner s252sx-e. Has the .84AR. Wish I'd gotten the smaller one now :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So dyno tomorrow at 10am. Excited :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:So dyno tomorrow at 10am. Excited :)

Videos!!!! :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I can't stand to watch it man haha. I'll probably take off as i'll have my wee girl with me :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I may stay for a video then go haha. Both times I've used this guy he's been two hours late then tried to charge me for it so i do want to see what time the car is strapped on.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So the mapper is off sick today. He has a reputation for being late, not showing up etc so i should have known. Now booked in at Dynatune who mapped it last time. Not till the 15th though. Just FYI the mapper is Russ Paton who mapped George Lawtons car. I won't be booking with him again as he's wasted enough of my time over various sessions.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Mate that really grinds my gears. Surely if you commit to something you turn up? I was looking forward to seeing the results!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Equium Duo wrote:Mate that really grinds my gears. Surely if you commit to something you turn up? I was looking forward to seeing the results!

That sucks....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”