broken key in ignition

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

leary123

broken key in ignition

Post by leary123 »

anyone experienced this?. sadly about the last 1/4-1/3 of the end of the key has broken off at the bottom of the barrel. luckily its 95 so no chip/transponder. i can still insert the key and the lock will turn and i can drive the car.

For the sake of it i rang and auto locksmith who said there wasnt really a sure fire solution for key extraction and that its a lucky guess but i have bought some key extractors for a few quid on amazon and might as well give it a go myself. further to that ill have to take the barrel out.

any other experience of this or solutions from anyone :) ?
mr2garageswindon

Re: broken key in ignition

Post by mr2garageswindon »

I've had some luck with using 2 fine picks to extract broken keys from barrels before. Also tried a tiny amount of super glue on the broken end of the key, insert into barrel, let it go off then pull key out complete.
This would be last resort as superglue in a barrel is not ideal!

Good luck!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

As you can turn the key remove the barrel from the car, you should then be able to carefully dismantle it to get access to the broken bit
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

I noticed a couple of ignition barrels with keys on eBay the other day was only £20 I know it's not an ideal answer but by the time you buy the extractor tools and have another key cut plus your time in labour it may be easier!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

What about a strong magnet? Never tried it myself as never needed to.
RyanWilson

Post by RyanWilson »

Locksmith can easily take the broken key out from the ignition, they are the cheapest option in such problems.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”