Learning key fobs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DaveImok

Learning key fobs

Post by DaveImok »

I read somewhere that the ecu can learn up to 4 different key fobs

My rev4 spare key appears to be from a different car but has the same fob as the working key
Can the following proceedure work with mr2?

Open the driver's side door; make sure all the other doors are closed.

Put your key into the ignition (without turning) twice within five seconds. Close the driver's side door, and then open the driver's side door.

Close the driver's side door, and then open it again. Put your key in the ignition and quickly pull it out. Close the driver's side door again, and then open it.

Close the driver's side door again, and then open it again. Put your key in the ignition, and then close the driver's side door. Turn the key to the "On" notch, without cranking, and then turn it off. Remove the key from the ignition.

Listen for the door locks to cycle; this confirms the process was successful. If the door locks do not cycle, repeat the entire procedure.

Hold the "Unlock" and "Lock" button on the key fob for two seconds, and then press and hold the "Lock" button for three seconds. Listen for the door to lock, and then unlock.

How to Program Toyota Key Fobs | eHow.co.uk Here are the instructions for the 2003 Toyota Corolla Model. :D

1. Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other doors are closed). Driver door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds
a. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out
b. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.
d. Close the drivers door
Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the engine), then back to off .
e. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.5 seconds
b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b as the remote was not accepted.

7. Open drivers door

I can it to cycle the Mr2 locks but it seems to refuse to learn the other fob.
Any ideas?
DaveImok

Re: Learning key fobs

Post by DaveImok »

Anybody know if it can learn another fob....?

I might have to try to find an ecu with 2 key fobs for sale because i suspect Toyota official dealers charge a lot!

My master key works fine for everthing but I'm not comfortable without a spare.

Or can anyone recommend a car key locksmith near southern lincs (spalding) or kings lynn who knows how?

Cheers.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It cant be a big job for them - my local Toyota offered to program my spare remote fob for free if I bought some parts from them - never got the parts from them because they were significantly cheaper elsewhere :lol:

Would be interested to know if this works, in fact may go and try it in an hour or so!

Will update with any progress. I currently have a spare key and fob with a key that works and starts the car, but a fob that does nothing - opening the car with the key if it was locked with the working fob sends the alarm crazy.

Which reminds me - i need to find out why the horn doesnt sound with the alarm!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

i followed the guide from ehow for the corrolla, it worked a treat!
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

just stab at all the buttons with your sausage fingers untill it works! :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

:lol:

I have to say I didnt notice my locks cycle at step 5 - after messing up the door open door close sequence a few times (rushing as I was concious of time limits), i thought well i may as well try pressing the remote buttons - did the press both then press lock, the LED flashed a few times, and it worked!
DaveImok

Post by DaveImok »

I'm glad it helped. :)
There are two issues here, the pressing both the buttons routine appears to re-connect a known working fob that fails to work but I'm still puzzled how to get my rev4 to learn a new one.
Others are saying it's the fob that needs re-programming if its from another car but I'm not convinced that is true. :?

Yes the issue is not with getting a spare key to work, its turning off the damn alarm.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

i think a previous owner got pi$$ed off with the alarm as the horn is disconnected on mine :lol:
Dan
Premium Member

Post by Dan »

Tried this today on my UK rev5 with a spare fob (of identical part numbers) bought off eBay and it didn't work :(
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm still a bit stuck with mine. Any advice would be appreciated. Has a scorpion alarm with 4 buttons on it. Not sure if its a standard or upgrade. I follow the steps and I actually get the lock/unlock sequence fire just after the step to putkey in and close door before turning key. Tried the holding buttons at that point and also trying it after turning key and taking out but still nothing :(
RyanWilson

Post by RyanWilson »

I would consider hiring dealership than to follow the shared ways.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

found this of mr2oc

due to age etc images have gone but will have a futher look

I myself picked up a brandnew fob in Toyota bubblewrap for £7 sterling delivered off eBay.

Now the tricky part making it work with your car!

1) Get a fob - doesn't matter if its been used before - Part No for my TVSS IIIB fob is 08191-00880

2) Take off trim around radio and heater (see fitting radio guides for this)

3) Remove screws on heater assembley and tie it up around radio area (you may need to unplug cables)

4) In the wiring guide it mentions the TVSS ECU is located behind the trim behind the drivers seat (under seatbelt) however while fitting a new radio I noticed the ECU behind the heater assembly so decided to kill 2 birds...

5) Pull with a bit of force to remove the ECU from its place (its stuck down)

6) Remove philips screw and revit from protective plate..my cordless drill batteries are "censored" and as it was wet today I didn't fancy running a lead out to the car!

7) Pull the Protective Plate up

8) Pull back the foam cover

9) Put your ignition to ACC

10) Time to pair the fob - hold the green button on the ECU in for more then 2 seconds until the security light stays solid then release (times out after 5 seconds)

11) Within 5 seconds (while security lights solid) hold down the 2 buttons on the fob until the indicator lights flash

Test your fob locks / unlocks car. Your done..:D

NOTE: You can only pair 4 fobs to the one car! The Last 4 paired fobs will be the only active ones.

12) Reverse actions as before, re-rivet the TVSS ECU if need be.

ATTACHED is the part of the TVSS IIB manual...helped me alot with this!

EDIT: Couldn't attach but manual is here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/ai ... SSIIIB.pdf
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”