Driftworks Coilovers - HSD

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vishpish

Driftworks Coilovers - HSD

Post by vishpish »

hey!

ive been looking for coilovers recently for my mr2. The problem i have is i dont just want coilovers that can handle extremely well, but i also want coilovers that have the potential to lower the car more than just 40mm(which you get from the Teins)

i know its not everyones cup of tea but a lower car in my opinion gives it so much more precense. The only coilovers that lower an mr2 more than 40mm are D2, Megan Racing and BC? As far as i know all of these have gone up steeply in price due to the currency exchange rate(ie over £700) and with recent reports of leaking coilovers from Megan and D2, its a lot of money to risk.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago my mate who owns a Mk4 supra ordered in a set of Driftworks HSD coilovers. The build quality looked brilliant and the handling, once properly set up by Kenny Brown in Hillington, is outstanding.

So i sent a chap an email who runs Driftworks and HSD coilovers and i'm about to purchase a set off him but he was also wondering if there were any other mr2 owners out there that would potentially be interested.

Price is £670 and for that you get a Monotube Damper design,16 stage fully adjustable dampening, pillowball top mounts, fully hieght adjustable(up to 100mm i think) and a full uk support team and connections with Driftworks. Also know they're used in some of the best drift and time attack cars out there.

Just to note im not making anything out of these i just did a search there and found nothing on them. Once ive got mine and tryed them out, i could always report back.

cheers vish
mattymr2

Re: Driftworks Coilovers - HSD

Post by mattymr2 »

:-k very interested in wot these r like............
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

heres them used on a 2jz s15:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBy9yxIZKA0
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

ment to be a very very good coilover

heared nothing but good things about this suspension :thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

vishpish wrote:The only coilovers that lower an mr2 more than 40mm are D2, Megan Racing and BC?

Tein Monoflex have an adjustment range of 0mm to -48mm at the front and -5mm to -65mm at the rear. They're over twice what you're looking at though...

Patrick
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

I've just been on the Driftworks website but i cant find any mention of these coilovers for the MR2?
boyleonthebum

Post by boyleonthebum »

hi vish,

did you get hold of any of theses?

I'm interesting in getting a set, just wanted to know your thoughts (-:

cheers
chris
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

hey man

na i picked up a set of the bc racing coilovers instead. the hsds were on a 5 week wait and my car was broken then and there! so i couldnt wait.

it was a shame because i liked the sound of them but the bc racing ones have been excellent so far :D only £645 i think
sutton

Post by sutton »

Get some pics up dude! I heard some are saying the spring rate is way to hard on the BC for road use?
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
Keebsss47

Post by Keebsss47 »

sutton wrote:Get some pics up dude! I heard some are saying the spring rate is way to hard on the BC for road use?

the debate continues :)

the apex coiovers (which are BC ones with slightly softer spring rates, but not as soft as tein ss) are 650 but hard to find.

i waiting for some1 to put BC's on thier car ad see if they are ok for road use.
boyleonthebum

Post by boyleonthebum »

vish, whats the ride like with the BC's?? Everyones expecting them to be too hard for the road.

HSD's have gone up to £745 now :pale: Due to exchange rates and all that crap.

oh , and where did you get the BC ones? What top mounts did the rears have on them if any?
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

You realise you can get suspension springs made to spec - not expensive either. £20 pound a corner depending on what you need. That way if the spring rate is to hard on the cilovers you have bought, just spec a softer poundage and get them made up.
boyleonthebum

Post by boyleonthebum »

I've bit the bullet and gone for the HSD's.

They're coming either tommorow or monday.

I'm going to start a project thread when they arrive so i'll get some photos up and let you know what they're like!

:thumleft:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Have you fitted these yet?
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
2307nige

Post by 2307nige »

HARD>> VERY VERY HARD!!!! GOT SOME IF ANYONE WANTS TO SWAP FOR SOMETHING SOFTER
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

hey dudes

i got the bc racing coilys on and they feel really really nice. not too hard or crashy, car has been setup at the front and feels nice, back feels a bit stiffer but im running 18"s on a low profile so i expect it that way....

if anyones up in or around glasgow ill happily take you out to feel the ride on them... :)

cheers

vish
boyleonthebum

Post by boyleonthebum »

In the process of getting these fitted at the moment along with new High & Tight bushes, discs, pads, refurbing wheels etc....

I'm just waiting for my Anti Roll bar bushes, they've been holding me up a bit.

Anyway, the HSD's look quality and have loads of adjusment on them.

Be a while before i get to have a ride in the car though.

Nasty phone pick of the front of the car with the HSD's fitted. It's not really pink!!

They can go down some more. I'm going to try them at that height though to start with.
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

I had the HSD's on my last MR2, and really didn't rate them. Far too bouncy no matter what setting I used, even when raised up they weren't nice.

However, they do different spring ratings so just make sure you get the recommended ones for road use, they also refused to repair one when it started leaking a year later. In the end I just removed them, and fitted standard shocks with lowered springs.

Current MR2 has the cheapest coilovers you can buy, eBay specials and they've been fine for over 6 years! Firm yes, but continuously bouncy? No.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Interesting! over 10 years on, and I'm back to square one - looking at coilovers again for the tubby I picked up last December. I think I'd be keen on getting the BCs again - this time with the adjustable/pillowball top mounts. and make sure the threads are properly coated/protected because I do recall them being an absolute pain to adjust ungreased
Thebradlz

Post by Thebradlz »

I've had both types of HSD on my MR2.

The Dualtech are the first type I had and I found them really nice. 5KG on the front and 7KG on the back. Driven to the ring and back and they were fine.

I got the chance to swap them to a set of Monopro so I though why not! Once again 5kg on the front 7KG on the rear. At the start the front would bounce to the point where you didn't want to drive it anymore. Read a post on them and seen that people were saying to make sure the pre load on the springs are set up properly. Added a bit more preload and it helped loads. It was still bouncy but bearable. I took it around knockhill and it they were great! They are still not set up great for the road and even have had the rear end bonce up during corning which isn't great. Going to play about with them a bit more and am even looking in the roll center issues. I want to add as well that I've not slammed the rear.

Something I would like to point out is that the front coilovers on both Dual and Mono don't seem to go low enough for my liking and the person who I swapped them for was even running shorter 6KG spring to get the desired height

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”