Black Rev2 Tintop Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chaotic.entity

Black Rev2 Tintop Turbo

Post by chaotic.entity »

It was inevitable. I had to have one. She's the final piece to my 90s Toyota Triology (I've got a Celica ST205 and a TT Supra too).

So I bought a sorry excuse of one and will be hopefully be bringing her back to her former glory.

Apparently I'm not allowed to post URLs/images yet so you'll have to wait for the juicy pictures.

Current known things:
I've run a carvx.jp report and a uk side report too, not been crashed, and the chassis looks straight.
The car is very much a grey import, and was brought to the UK back in 2000, and registered the incorrect manufacture date (Will the DVLA entertain me updating the manufacture date to 1992 rather than 1994 the car is currently registered as?). Apparently only deregistered temporarily rather than deregistered for export over in Japan.
The car has been off the road since 2009-2010, as that's when the last MOT was.
Sills both sides are rusted through, but still have the factory sill foam in.
Rear of the rear wheel wells is rotten through, in the boot area.
A previous owner had a yellow fetish, the ducts behind the doors have had their insides painted yellow, the gearstick is some weird kinky yellow thing, and the rear strut brace has been painted yellow too.
There's a turbo time present, and another plug for something else...
There was a sound system put in and pulled out, wires and some old speakers remain.
There's an apexi blow off valve installed.
The coolant hose leading from the head is blown, may have been the reason the car was taken off the road in the first place.
There's what appears to be masonry paint splattered all over the rear. (Lol)

The car has been optioned with:
Traction control
Premium sound
Mudflaps (?)
An LSD
There may be other things but I'll have to figure that out once I get there car here.

More to follow once I've had the car shipped to me, should be next week sometime but I'm waiting for a mate to buy an MX5 from the same seller so we can get them shipped to mine together.[/list]
chaotic.entity

Re: Black Rev2 Tintop Turbo

Post by chaotic.entity »

Well the car has arrived now!

Optioned with folding mirrors too.

Rust is plentiful, so I'm enjoying exploring the car and looking for more rust.

Also finding out more of the niche and cool things about these cars. The little glovebox under the drivers side dash is rather cute!

Still not allowed URLs... one day, one day I'll show you all how bad this is
:lol:
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

There's a switch on the dash to allow the headlights to pop up, and when they do they only go into party mode. This appears to have be straight plugged into the RTR fuse... very strange. I'll yank the lot and just put a 30a fuse in and call it a day. It's a three way switch too but only two positions are useful? Middle stops things occuring, and one position allows the lights to move.

Getting 0.7v at B+ - Fp connection, fuel pump isn't getting voltage. EFI relay is fine, EFI fuse is fine, getting power to the EFI relay too. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me on the electrical side.

She cranks though, and apparently the compression sounds good too. Got spark too.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Plugged the turbo timer in and got 12v at B+ - FP connection. Fuel pump can be triggered by bridging these it seems. Still no fuel in the lines it seems though...

Car was also optioned with a telescopic steering wheel (Reading suggests this is an option?) sadly the in and out motion wasn't playing ball so I've dropped the column out and have a "new" one enroute.

Also pulled the old toad immobiliser + turbo timer out. Whoever installed this actually put a patch harness in and did *most* or the wiring for both alarm and turbo timer from there! Made it really easy to remove.

Party mode kept going on after replacing the rtr fuse, had to turn the turbo timer on for that to be stopped. And now I've removed the timer it's still behaving.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Not a lot to report, but I've managed to unseize the telescopic steering function. Took the whole column out, cleaned it up, wd40, white lithium grease to keep things hopefully less stuck in the future.

Fuel pump level sender appears to have had two of the three wires cut. Leaving a white and black only.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Now the car is sat nicely on 4 axle stands in the garage. Time to get deeper into it.

Pulled the front undercover off. Most of the bolts sheered from the rust. One I couldn't even put a socket on as it's rusted to death. Power steering rack boots aren't the same, one side is basically open to the world. A brake pad is missing in the rear. All the callipers were seized so that was fun pushing it around to get it into the garage.

Hoping the subframes are salvageable with a good sand blast and powder coating but time will tell.

I've definitely got my work cut out for me with this one!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

I reckon about 80% of the bolts/nuts I've taken off have sheared so far...

Headlights removed, radiator fans removed, wings detached bar being seized onto the front bumper. Front bumper detached bar the seized on fog lights.

The radiator crumbles to the touch, the whole top row has detached, it's utterly utterly dead.

I await a drill, then the project continues.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Rear bumper, rear lights, trunk lid, bonnet, wiper cowl, one fog light, all undertrays off.

There's rust as expected in all the places you'd expect it. No surprises thankfully!

The area under the wiper cowl was super clean, which I suppose was surprising unto itself.

Radiator and aircon condenser removed too. About 3 fins are left on the condenser.
Nails

Post by Nails »

looking forward to some pics and the progress :thumleft:
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Busy weekend, gutted the interior now! Everything in front of the frunk is stripped back too.

With the interior stripped I've found the inner sill near the drivers rear mount and seatbelt mount is rusted through. So more rust repairs to do there.

Any idea when I'm allowed to start posting urls/pictures? :lol:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

I was about to ask, got any photos?

I think you may need 10 posts?
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

monkeyra wrote:I was about to ask, got any photos?

I think you may need 10 posts?

Well this reply marks my 10th so.... let's give it a go!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Nope it still dislikes me
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Nothing much to report, took the weekdays off this week to chill out a bit.

Today I pulled the front suspension off. Arms and struts all off now. Well, mostly.

A stud decided it liked its nut too much and broke free at the wrong end, holding the anti roll bar in place still. And apparently I can't get the drop links to let go of the struts so it's mostly off but awaiting my angle grinder returning to me before I can hack this stud apart.
Vapid

Post by Vapid »

Looking forward to these photos!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Vapid wrote:Looking forward to these photos!

I'll just have to keep writing useless responses till I'm allowed to add image urls to my posts \:D/
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Dashboard almost released... Everything seems to move but it ain't coming out. Got a-pillar trim out, nut/bolt behind the passenger triangle vent, glovebox off, centre console 4 screws, bolts next to kick panel, nuts behind the speedo. Nut sure what else might be preventing it coming loose. Could just need someone with less of an inclination to not break things to yank on it.

Either way, strip down continues. Awaiting ordering a bigger set of impact sockets so I can pull the rear suspension + hubs off.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Dashboard now out, there was a final screw hidden under the ABS/trac ecu under the dashboard. Headliner also removed! A few more rust holes here and there, put a screw driver through the inside of the rear driver's wheel well, and the seat mounting point onto the floor. Just more welding and cutting needed, nothing special.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Seems 15 posts was the required amount! Prepare yourselves.

Return to “Member Profiles”