Black Rev5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

oVerboost

Black Rev5

Post by oVerboost »

Sold this in 2014 because I was a silly boy, regretted it ever since and two other MR2's didn't fill the void.

Bought the car from it's original mature owner, who had the car kept in a garage. It was all standard and original with every single part that had been replaced all being genuine Toyota - so it was a no brainer when I went to view the car originally in 2012. This was it the day I brought it home...

I sold it locally to an older gentleman who had various sports cars and said he'd always wanted an MR2.
I also told him to contact me if he ever wanted to sell it and I'd be interested in buying it back.
I've got sentimental value in the car because my Dad worked on the car with me a lot, and both myself and fiancé had many memories in the car as well.

I saw it from time to time, always at a distance or going the other way so could never ask if he wanted to sell it back and then I hadn't seen it for ages, so presumed he'd either taken it off the road or crashed it!

It appeared as a trade in on one of the MR2 Facebook groups and I missed out on buying it back then by mere hours.

This was it sat looking very sorry for itself when I missed out on getting it back the first time...

Whilst on the phone to the garage to be told they'd taken a deposit on the car, I gave them my details and asked them to be passed on to the buyer so I could run through the spec, modifications and history etc. The car had been garaged it's whole life when I bought it and only ever got mechanical work at Toyota main dealer, even down to small sundries such as nuts and screws etc!

And just before it got transported up country to Scotland to the buyer...

Long story short (still quite long I know lol)...

Last weekend I flew from Bristol to Glasgow to bring it home to Plymouth.

If anyone is ever unsure of selling your MR2, don't! So happy to have it back.

Oh and if you're on Instagram give me a follow @mr2chris

I will be updating the thread as I go...

Last edited by oVerboost on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Black Rev5

Post by Ryan S »

Very nice! Is it a UK car with a GtS badge? Or a GtS with UK wings and bumpers?
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Ryan S wrote:Very nice! Is it a UK car with a GtS badge? Or a GtS with UK wings and bumpers?

It's a UK car with a GTS badge 8)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ahhh, I did wonder! I assume it's a turbo engine yeah? Just curious, Forget how nice the rev5s look =P~
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Ryan S wrote:Ahhh, I did wonder! I assume it's a turbo engine yeah? Just curious, Forget how nice the rev5s look =P~

I did originally plan to fit a turbo engine, but I'm going to get a new cambelt kit and water pump and just keep it reliable until later, and then consider an engine swap of some description. But no, it's just a 3SGE that looks like a Turbo. :-$ :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah ok. I understand now! It's lovely man! Occasionally wish i'd left mine stock(ish).
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Ryan S wrote:Ah ok. I understand now! It's lovely man! Occasionally wish i'd left mine stock(ish).

Thank you :) Yours looks great though?! :thumleft:
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

You're all awesome in my eyes haha! :clap:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

oVerboost wrote:
Ryan S wrote:Ah ok. I understand now! It's lovely man! Occasionally wish i'd left mine stock(ish).

Thank you :) Yours looks great though?! :thumleft:

Ih yeah I love it. But once you cut the rear arches there's no going back haha. To be fair I wouldn't change it back if I had the option. I just often forget how nice they are in stock form!
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Looks stunning, love the stance and the alloys. Wish I had kept my black Rev5, (V493 HKS)

My white Rev3 is great but seeing yours reminds me of what I let shouldn't have sold :)
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Rob66 wrote:Looks stunning, love the stance and the alloys. Wish I had kept my black Rev5, (V493 HKS)

My white Rev3 is great but seeing yours reminds me of what I let shouldn't have sold :)

Thanks :) I just love all MR2's :lol: But this one was what got me hooked, and I have history with it so getting it back was something I couldn't pass up.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

great story great car

happy for you I spent far too much on rescuing mine after a bodge job, but my sister (RIP) loved the colour, it reminds me of her as well loving the car

:-) :-)
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

wilkie senior wrote:great story great car

happy for you I spent far too much on rescuing mine after a bodge job, but my sister (RIP) loved the colour, it reminds me of her as well loving the car

:-) :-)

It's great that you can have a connection through the car to your sister :clap:

These cars are certainly more than just 4 wheels to many of us, I think that's part of what makes them so special.
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Replaced the timing belt today...

21 years and 119k on the original belt, I wouldn't normally leave it as long as that but the 1st owner who I bought it from said it was due a change when I bought it off him, and as I never put much mileage on it and the fact that it's non-interference I never got round to doing it the first time I owned it.

The person I sold it to I told to get the belt changed, he didn't. The car then travelled up to Scotland (as previously stated) and the belt wasn't replaced then either as the car didn't do much mileage then either.

I'm amazed at the condition of the belt, the water pump and tensioners etc. Everything is free, no noise, no issues at all and could probably have done more miles or even stayed on the car if I just swapped the belt for a new one.

All the new parts I fitted were genuine Toyota, so shouldn't need doing again for many, many years and I can drive it without worrying it might fail (even though I didn't need to worry really).
Last edited by oVerboost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ads

Post by ads »

Reassuring. My timing assembly was renewed five years ago but has only done around 15000 miles. Think I'll leave it a while longer.

Also I keep thinking of selling mine due to having too many cars in the family but every time I drive it I appreciate how well these cars are put together and I know with tlc it will last for another eight years of ownership so I think it's a keeper.

Great to see you've got yours back, I remember thinking how stunning it looked with those wheels fitted. Look forward to updates
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

ads wrote:Reassuring. My timing assembly was renewed five years ago but has only done around 15000 miles. Think I'll leave it a while longer.

Also I keep thinking of selling mine due to having too many cars in the family but every time I drive it I appreciate how well these cars are put together and I know with tlc it will last for another eight years of ownership so I think it's a keeper.

Great to see you've got yours back, I remember thinking how stunning it looked with those wheels fitted. Look forward to updates

Thanks :D I did have the option of having the 18" wheels I sold it with back but couldn't pass up the Advan wheels as they are what I would have bought with my own money given the chance, I just couldn't ever find a set in the right fitment.

Yeah, I'd strongly urge anyone who's considering selling up to re-consider as good examples are getting very hard to find, and prices are increasing (much more so over in the USA) which in turn will have a knock on effect to the prices here, even for people wanting to export good examples to other countries.
ads

Post by ads »

oVerboost wrote:
ads wrote:Reassuring. My timing assembly was renewed five years ago but has only done around 15000 miles. Think I'll leave it a while longer.

Thanks :D I did have the option of having the 18" wheels I sold it with back but couldn't pass up the Advan wheels as they are what I would have bought with my own money given the chance, I just couldn't ever find a set in the right fitment.

Yeah, I'd strongly urge anyone who's considering selling up to re-consider as good examples are getting very hard to find, and prices are increasing (much more so over in the USA) which in turn will have a knock on effect to the prices here, even for people wanting to export good examples to other countries.

Yes its the age of early cars now that make US export viable. Quite a growth in online interest especially on YouTube so hang on to them for now to enjoy and reap a half decent investment return.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

when you forge it pleas do everything you can to stay at 86mm.
ThomasJade

Post by ThomasJade »

Glad you got it back, man. I guess you're really destined to have it all throughout.
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Got a smaller front plate that is the exact size of the import plate holder. Looks much smarter now.

Return to “Member Profiles”