Luke (Skywalker's) 2GR-FE MK2- Full restoration/build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: Luke (Skywalker's) 2GR-FE MK2- Full restoration/build

Post by Race Idiot »

I bought the FIA ones, ABE ones are wider and have bigger slots for seatbelts I think.

The rails like I said I used bride FO ones but the brackets mine came with were too narrow. Now they've been extensively modified.

I do have some proper recaro brackets but they sit the seat far too high for me, my head came into contact with the roof if I put a helmet on. You can have em if you want, maybe you can modify em to get the seat lower.
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

So was that the Recaro in conjunction with the stock rails that made them too high? I was wondering how id be able to overcome the height problem. Want something thats pretty much bolt in really!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

No it was the bride FO rails I was using, I think modifying the standard brackets would also make em sit high.

I bought the FO rails from japan and they came with some small brackets already that worked perfectly with my old sparco seat which was narrower.

We were able to get the recaro mounted on these same ones but being wider you couldn't move the seat backwards or forwards. So I bought the recaro brackets which fit the rails perfectly but sat way too high.

Honestly if it's just gonna be you driving the car I'd just use the recaro brackets and bolt em straight to the floor in the correct position.
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Yeah I thought about just floor mounting, but I'd like them to move if possible!
I might make up a base that bolts to the original holes out of flat bar and then use sliders. I think that'll be the lowest option
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Had a delivery today..

Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Did you go for the ABE then?
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Nope, went for the normal FIA ones
Rory

Post by Rory »

How's this coming along Julian? Did you get the seats fitted?
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

I realised that I have not updated this for a very long time

Lots has happened since my last post in September!

I redid the majority of wiring in the engine bay to tidy it all up, now the majority of wiring runs in the boot. Many hours were spent with the soldering iron!

Tried to change the tank to filter line from the old rubber pipe for a braided line with AN fittings, Annoyingly the original fitting was seized and rounded off. so I had to remove the tank!

I Replaced it with an adapter from Radium engineering and now there are AN6 lines to the filter, regulator and to the engine. I managed to find a great regulator that fits right ontop of the filter therefore removing a line. a nice and clean install (will try and get some pics soon)

Huge thanks to Rory for the Berk exhaust. I think It suits the car very well in black. I had to have the mid pipe fabricated to suit the 2gr, but it was pretty straight forward. Soon to be made repackable and will post some pics of that project

Next up was making the seats fit. I decided to use stock runners and adapt side mounts to fit. I welded the two together, and then made them look nice. Finally they were painted satin black.
And in the car

Next up, I decided to make a little injector cover plate. Took inspiration from the RAT2 cover.
I made a template out of paper, then card, and then transferred it to metal.
and here is the Engine bay after getting that plate and some other parts powder-coated. I think it looks pretty good!

And after many other small jobs and days of work, it was ready for the MoT. The first drive was a little nerve-wracking but the car was great and passed with flying colours.. Id expect so since it is all new!

After a drive to the Driftlimits track, it was time for some photos

Pretty much the only thing left outstanding on the car is wider rear wheels. Since these are 3 piece split rims, I bought wider rear lips (1 inch wider) to make them 9j. It will bring the offset down to around 22 which is on the low side. Im hoping it will fit ok, but it will really finish off the look of the car. They have been on the way from the USA for the past month, so I really hope they arrive soon so I can get them built and on the car for the memorial.

More soon!
Julian
Rory

Post by Rory »

Looks awesome. 17x9 et22 may sit a bit too proud. Be really careful they don't hit the arches first time you hit some bumpy road. What size tyre are you running? I think they're going to be about 10mm past the arch. Maybe you can bring it back with some camber.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

What offset are those rears?
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Yeah im going to be as careful as possible.
The only other way to do it was to buy new barrels too, and I couldnt justify that! Luckily I had the arches rolled and flared before it went to the bodyshop and have trimmed the side mouldings too. The top mounts are camber adjustable so im hoping I will have clearance. Im also going to run 235 tyres so should help.

Apparently these are ET23, so fingers crossed!

https://nicedayz.net/15364/images/image ... 2_900x.jpg
Last edited by jbliss on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Race Idiot wrote:What offset are those rears?

At the moment they're 8j et35 all round. Its going to end up with the rears being 9j and ET22.3 or so..
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Jesus f*cking christ. Look at this thing man...Absolutely phenomenal Julian.

I had my oldest brother pass away when I was 17 so I know exactly how that feels but to go to these lengths to commemorate him just beggars belief. I wish I had the time and effort to make such a statement I really do. Luke would be really proud of what you've achieved here and you should be too.

Well done dude!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I wondered why they were so sunken in the rear, mine are 9.5j at +35 and while they aren't as flush as the front it's not that noticeable.

I thought your one had a big pull on the rear arches or summat.
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

Ryan S wrote:Jesus f*cking christ. Look at this thing man...Absolutely phenomenal Julian.

I had my oldest brother pass away when I was 17 so I know exactly how that feels but to go to these lengths to commemorate him just beggars belief. I wish I had the time and effort to make such a statement I really do. Luke would be really proud of what you've achieved here and you should be too.

Well done dude!

Thanks Ryan, Im really sorry to hear about your brother. Its indescribable. and thank you for the kind words. Its been a steep learning curve but ive enjoyed it. there was never a question that the car needed to be finished as a testament to Luke. Hope to be able to show it off at all the car shows in the future!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Incredible work dude. Hopefully I can see this in person at some point! It looks like a brand new car!
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

So the most recent job has been the exhaust.

The Berk was VERY loud with the V6. transpires that there was nothing in either box. no wadding, no perforated pipe, nothing! No wonder it was loud!

So, I decided to cut the box open, weld in perforated pipes and then fill with Acoustafil which expands when the exhaust gets hot. Then had the box welded up and gave it a spray with hi temp black paint. Ive not had a chance to put it back on the car yet, but hoping to do it tomorrow and then ill upload a before and after video!

pre-welding

Rory

Post by Rory »

Looks pretty good - I hope it's dulled the volume a bit
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

THat looks cool,

I wonder if I could do something similar with the japspeed exhaust i have, I like the lookt hey are just ridiculously loud. I thought it was only loud because of the T-Top haha!

Return to “Member Profiles”