The Ramblings and Diary of a Japanese Car Enthusiast

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Re: The Ramblings and Diary of a Japanese Car Enthusiast

Post by Madabout »

Having swopped the door cards over this morning dismantled the Bimarco bucket seat and fixed rail in the car and fitted the driver side Recaro.

I had like the Bimarco but as it sits you nice and low and had thought about leaving it in but as I had bought a pair of Recaro factory seats figured it would look better with both fitted Likewise the suede door cards though a minor touch just look a bit more in keeping then the cloth inserts they replace.

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Looking good mate, glad it went to a good home!

Get the harness unclipped from the firewall and posted through the slot in the seat though, it's not safe where it is now.

P.S you're selling the bucket seat far too cheap too :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

C35Rob wrote:Looking good mate, glad it went to a good home!

Get the harness unclipped from the firewall and posted through the slot in the seat though, it's not safe where it is now.

P.S you're selling the bucket seat far too cheap too :thumleft:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the message and hope you are keeping well and enjoying the new toy.

Glad you approve of the few changes. I think I remember reading in your build thread that you were thinking period bucket seats for it. I got offered these factory recaros similar to what I have in in the yellow car and think they fit it well. With the black headliner and suede door cards just a few little touches.

It will probably go in the garage over winter. The yellow one has a bit of work planned coming up and just spent the afternoon detailing the frunk area on both of them.

Cheers

James.
craig

Post by craig »

Recaro seats looks awesome mate, not a fan of mismatching seats myself.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

craig wrote:Recaro seats looks awesome mate, not a fan of mismatching seats myself.

Thanks Craig. I really liked the Bimarco bucket seat fitted but having fitted the suede door cards Saturday morning and the replacement interior plastic under trim figured having the driver Recaro sat in the house would be better in the car.

I am happier with the look even if the Bimarco is a lovely drivers seat, etc.

I think the changes work well with the rest of the period mods the cars has for a genuine JDM'd MR2 of the period.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

The yellow one apart from being kept clean hadn't seen much love recently with the white one being the focus for new parts, etc.

However last week I saw a Cusco Type OS front strut brace for sale and a quick purchase was made to replace the non-descript after market strut brace already in place.

Next stage of work for the yellow one will be a bit of paintwork, which has kept on getting delayed.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Met up with Jordan (JLW) on here with his very nice grey REV3 turbo. Great to meet as we are both reasonably local and when I was getting into mr2s start of this year found the youtube video of his car which I was impressed by so nice to see the car in the metal.

As ever took some photos, etc. :D

craig

Post by craig »

Saw this on FB. Couple of smart 2s 8)
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

craig wrote:Saw this on FB. Couple of smart 2s 8)

It was nice catching up with Jordan and his grey MR2 I had always admired since getting back into MR2s.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

All has been quiet on the MR2 front

- the white one has gone into winter hibernation.

- the yellow one is seeing a little bit of work done:

- new alloy radiator fitted.
- little bit of paint done to tidy a few areas.
- rear fog light fitted as missing.
- also getting some coilovers fitted.

Apart from that picket up a little trinket this week for the white mr2. Nothing special but fits with it - a genuine TOMS gearknob, right era for the car and I think and the kit, a decent weight so will try it on the car to see what I think.

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Beauties!
Tareim

Post by Tareim »

just had a quick flick through the early pages and seen you have a vx220, I've currently got one alongside my mr2 but it's the na one not the turbo (same for the mr2) :lol:

do like the recaro's you got there
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

androo007 wrote:Beauties!

Thanks mate. It would be nice to see your MR2 at some point too. My yellow MR2 is getting a few jobs done that I had wanted to do for a while. The coilovers are an added expensive extra but the ride height of the white one with the HSDs feels much improved so coilovers should be a nice difference.

Tareim wrote:just had a quick flick through the early pages and seen you have a vx220, I've currently got one alongside my mr2 but it's the na one not the turbo (same for the mr2) :lol:

do like the recaro's you got there

Thanks. Yeah I had a VX220 Turbo, a couple of years after owning a S1 elise with the K-series engine. I much preferred the VX220. I only sold it as wasn't using enough.

I like the recaros. In my mx5s I run some period JDM seats so getting an MR2 was high up on the list.
Tareim

Post by Tareim »

Madabout wrote:

Thanks. Yeah I had a VX220 Turbo, a couple of years after owning a S1 elise with the K-series engine. I much preferred the VX220. I only sold it as wasn't using enough.

I like the recaros. In my mx5s I run some period JDM seats so getting an MR2 was high up on the list.

I contemplated the s1 elise as it was at a similar price point to the na vx220 but couldn't face the dreaded k series as there was always the lingering thought of HGF
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Tareim wrote:
Madabout wrote:

I contemplated the s1 elise as it was at a similar price point to the na vx220 but couldn't face the dreaded k series as there was always the lingering thought of HGF

If I went again it would be a VX220 as preferred it to the Elise. Supercharger options available too with the 2.2 NA engine (which isn't bad power standard anyhow).
Tareim

Post by Tareim »

Madabout wrote:
Tareim wrote:
Madabout wrote:

If I went again it would be a VX220 as preferred it to the Elise. Supercharger options available too with the 2.2 NA engine (which isn't bad power standard anyhow).

the s/c is something I've considered doing, just weighing up all options with it currently
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Your white car makes me want to restore my old amber lenses, or get a new set. Makes the car look much more period than the clears do. :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Race Idiot wrote:Your white car makes me want to restore my old amber lenses, or get a new set. Makes the car look much more period than the clears do. :thumleft:

Yeah the previous owner Rob must take credit for that and I think they really suit the car adding to the JDM feel, etc. On my rev4 JDM turbo I think the clear indicators look better TBH but on different cars the amber lenses definitely work better.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Well the yellow one aka custard as the previous owners father-in-law called it is getting some work done so progress.

I have had key areas under sealed for future protection so wheel arch covers off, etc.

Likewise and given the red one was pretty rotten when I removed the rear bumper and seems to be a common fail area I had this all off (99.9% sure it would be fine) and had this cleaned and treated too.

The yellow one as I thought is pretty solid so a lot of this is preventative maintenance.

Some progress shots.

Next jobs up are getting some new coilovers fitted, alloy radiator fitted, fog light wired in whilst the paint is getting corrected in a few areas.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Well a few weeks after dropping off Custard aka my yellow Rev4 turbo with RE-Worx in Portsmouth it is back home. I had bought the car earlier this year and thought it was solid but RE-Worx is a trusted firm I used and they knocked holes out of the red one that I got properly sorted but the yellow one passed as being solid and needing no welding. Instead I had all the arches, etc. undersealed and the rear bumper off (another rust spot) and treated to help longer term.

Alongside this I also had new tein coilovers fitted, new caliper, new handbrake cables, paintwork done where arches rolled badly, alloy rad fitted. Got down there and also fitted a Cusco rear strut brace I had bought so front and rear the car now has Cusco strut braces.

A drive home and weather was crap.

The ride on the tein coilovers is a lot nicer then the shocks before with the lowering springs. Seems more compliant over bumps. I had noticed when I got the white one which has HSD coilovers it felt better so nice to do something with the yellow one too.

No other work planned this side of Christmas. The MR2s will have to wait.

Return to “Member Profiles”