JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - 5SGTE build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev2rich

Re: JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - Megasquirt install. Anti lag. 2 step.

Post by rev2rich »

Garage envy :thumleft: :thumleft:

Battling with kids toys and a small garage atm ](*,)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Seen this on instagram dude. Amazing!!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

cant wait to get all my new tools in it \:D/
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

rev2rich wrote:Garage envy :thumleft: :thumleft:

Battling with kids toys and a small garage atm ](*,)

hey... i was happy with my old single garage 2 houses ago. working anywhere not out in the rain/cold win is amazing. no more having to stop play due to it going dark, or raining. no having to pack all tools away if i need to pop to the shop for supplies.

should bin the kids toys if they dont ask for them for a few months...work your way through the garage toys haha
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Managed to get a few hours in the garage today. My plan currently is to get the mr2 back on the road for summer so i can enjoy it and not have too much pressure on myself to get the new engine built in time.

Ive got a td05-16g billet compressor wheeled turbo which is oil feed only, so ive made my own AN oil feed. just got to sort drain now.

I started by fitting my AN adapter to the turbo:

I then installed my 1.5mm AN oil restrictor:

Made my first ever AN line:

I then looped my water feed/return for stock turbo:

Checked the fitment of the turbo/AN line and it was perfect. All kept on the cold side:

I then installed my gearlinkage poly's which ive had about a year sat in a draw:

As im running an external gate i opted to lock the actuator arm shut on the turbo. So i got the TIG out and welded an existing actuator rod to the actuator mount on the front of the turbo. making the modification removable if required:

This is where i finished for the afternoon:

I've just got some washers im waiting for, And it looks like my exhaust/downpipe needs slight modification to join together nicely.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

today i had a little gift to myself arrive

:thumleft:

just need to align it all / check level/square and get it all installed
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Havent posted for a while as I've been doing a lot on the new house and buying parts for my 2nd engine.... For the best it turns out.

Well my 2nd gen engine decided 18 psi was too much.

Got the car home after blowing it up on the Motorway and showering people behind me in oil. (Sorry members of the public)

Pulled the plugs. Found cylinder 3s plug was covered in oil.

Pulled the sump and found a section of the skirt of 3 was melted/in the sump.

So.... The plan is to get my forged build finished and get back on the road before summers over (hopefully).

The gen 2 block's bore is untouched. No idea how. I presume I got lucky the skirt piece went straight down into the sump from the boost pressure when it blew.

Onwards and upwards
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Oh wow man! Yeah 18psi on a ct20 is just too much. At that pressure it just blowing roasting hot air into a 20+ year old engine. Something has to give at some point I guess eh? To be completely truthful if I was to do my build again I'd probably just stick forged pistons in it, Go with a TD05 turbo and use the stock ecu to control fuel and timing. Go with a manual boost controller. I can't stress enough just how right Toyota got it with this car/engine. People see 400,500,600bhp and think the car is amazing based on those figures alone but there is soooo much more to them than a power figure the majority of those people have never had to live with. Don't get me wrong….My car does drive nice and is really quite special when it hits and it could be my age talking but I think it was a better car standard. The thing is though…Until you take it there yourself you'll never take anyones advice! Good luck with it dude, Watching intently!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Oh wow man! Yeah 18psi on a ct20 is just too much. At that pressure it just blowing roasting hot air into a 20+ year old engine. Something has to give at some point I guess eh? To be completely truthful if I was to do my build again I'd probably just stick forged pistons in it, Go with a TD05 turbo and use the stock ecu to control fuel and timing. Go with a manual boost controller. I can't stress enough just how right Toyota got it with this car/engine. People see 400,500,600bhp and think the car is amazing based on those figures alone but there is soooo much more to them than a power figure the majority of those people have never had to live with. Don't get me wrong….My car does drive nice and is really quite special when it hits and it could be my age talking but I think it was a better car standard. The thing is though…Until you take it there yourself you'll never take anyones advice! Good luck with it dude, Watching intently!

I'm actually running a td05-16g with a billet compressor wheel. Chargecooled too. I found injector 3 had a cracked rubber seal on it though (even though I'd replaced these under 1000 miles ago.. So I think I may have ran lean on that one cylinder for a split second and just cooked it.

Going to run fully forged with this turbo when the engines built. She felt quick at 18 psi. But I need more hahaa. My 440odd hp 135i is the sort of feeling I'm after in terms of power. That's going soon as my electric cars delivered next month. Was gutted too as I was due to go to retrorides in it at shelsley Walsh on 22nd.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah so you do man! I need to use the site more! I had a 480bhp 335i and my mr2 would leave it standing still! I think next year I'm gonna go to a smaller turbo :)

Deffo sounds like the injector's been your issue man :(
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Ah so you do man! I need to use the site more! I had a 480bhp 335i and my mr2 would leave it standing still! I think next year I'm gonna go to a smaller turbo :)

Deffo sounds like the injector's been your issue man :(

haha i need that sort of power Ryan.

well i had a friend message me last night about a 5s......so i had to buy it. so im now building a forged 5s. likely sell my bored out 98+ square edge block now. DP Pistons have also been great and are allowing me to swap out my pistons id ordered for my 3s (86.5mm) for 5s pistons. So great service from DP.
rossonza
Premium Member

Re: JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - 5SGTE build

Post by rossonza »

Well i picked up my 5S block/crank last week. Started stripping it. apart from being covered in grime/oil/cobwebs its stock/solid, so I'm more than happy:

got the timing gear off and blocked the oil feed port for the balance wheel

New pistons with nice chunky wrist pins

My rev3 head had what looked like heavily rusted cams. so i had been on the lookout for new ones.... a friend suggested some wet/dry on the lobes to see if it would just clean up.

Well....scotchbrite fine pad and its come out like new.

Going to get all my bits together and take it all over to the machinist Nathan Freke's recommended to me. luckily hes relatively local.

next update will likely be machined block/crank :D
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

You don't fancy going with some more aggressive cams?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Race Idiot wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:24 pm
You don't fancy going with some more aggressive cams?

looking at some BC 264's currently. would like to keep it non interference. Any recommendations?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

This has come a long way since I last saw it! Good to see you're still moving forwards :D
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Magic Beans wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:16 am
This has come a long way since I last saw it! Good to see you're still moving forwards :D

Cheers mate. just taking time and money currently. this 5s malarky is just loads of conflicting information. goal is to get my 5s back on the road by summer. got a few months to get it done so im confident :-)

Return to “Member Profiles”