Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

Re: Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Post by nathan.z »

After a few days of dehumidifying with no luck I ripped out the seats and carpets and found there's a missing rubber grommet that leads into the sill on the passenger side. This seems to be culprit for the passenger side leak at least, however there's also a slight drivers side leak too.

:roll:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

I can spam my own thread. It rained heavily and a lovely river formed behind the passenger seat. It's looking like the water is dripping down the pillar from the the rear quarter window. Time to hose test it and apply some silicon sealant.

and I thought having a hardtop would mean no leaks.

:roll:

Edit: Ordered some sealant strip in preparation for refitting the rear quarter window.God bless Amazon Prime!

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Latest update.

Car's been serviced including brake fluid, need to put some new pads on and clean the panel filter. Anyway after a day taking off the front wing/fender and the scuttle panel I can now confirm the water is coming in through the scuttle panel drainage and then into the cabin footwell. This water pools and then forms a puddle behind the seat.

There's no way to fix this unless I rip the dash out. I did blast it with a hose and cleared out some debris. I'll get a garage todo this as I don't have the time, patience or the space.

:eye: stupid car
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:

:eye: stupid car

You should put that on a bumper-sticker :cyclops: i buy one :clap:

... soggy carpets are no fun ](*,)
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It takes less than an hour to have a mk2 dash out it's a simple job
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Latest updates.

Installed some new LEDS for the dash as the boost gauge was obscenely bright in comparison. 20 for £1.89 off ebay I can't complain, interestingly despite them being white LEDS, the stock gauges must have a blue tint since it shines through light blue. Evidence of this is the fact I can still see white shining through the odometer.

Cheap link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221579236372? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Also ordered a new horn to be installed. Again cheap Amazon buy for £5 including postage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-car-12v-A ... s=car+horn

Annoyingly the council have stone chipped the fresh paint on my car when trimming the grass verges out front. :evil: I've sent an email, but I don't expect much from them. Either way I've booked the car in for the water ingress to repaired since it needs fixing behind the dash. I'll get the paint sorted then too and invoice the council.

Imageimage sharing sites

Edit: forgot to add all new pads all round, fresh brake fluid, new discs upfront, refurbed some of the sliders as they were rotting and needed a new caliper on the rear after failing to refurb.
Last edited by nathan.z on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Arrrrg that chip sucks ... hope they cough up for the repair .
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

yr old paint, they are just gonna say prove it was us.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

3 months later and the interior leak has been fixed. This required the dash to be removed and seams re-applied. A new horn was fitted and the council coughed up and paid for the stone chip repair!

:mrgreen:

As posted in the heated windscreen thread within the group buy and a demonstration video ---

I finally snagged a Sunday to fix the melted fuse holder. The original fuse holder was only rated for 20amps maximum hence why it melted!

After some deliberation I wired in a mega blade fuse holder rated for 60amps with a 35amp mega blade fuse instead rewiring the circuit for half the amps since it'd mean 2 relays and more work.

Comparison vs new

Overdue video demonstrating the heated windscreen. *I was half asleep this morning so there are a few verbal errors*

https://youtu.be/5gCAqtlhUeI

*Need to investigate why one of the heating element strips is not heating up as quickly as the rest of the screen. Maybe there's a loose connection...checked and couldn't find any stone chips on that side.

There be now a fire extinguisher in the cabin just incase.
Draven

Post by Draven »

took a fair while to defrost. not bad though. :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Currently in the process of buying a house with a garage so there'll only be small minor updates to the car this year. I got bored of my old TRD gear knob (The small leather ball) I found with my short shift kit I was shifting with my palm more than my hand and I have small hands! After a few years of this I finally picked up one of those black duracon plastic TRD gear knobs from the states. It took 3 weeks to arrive but I'm preferring it already. It sits about 8mm taller and because it's hard plastic you can feel the shift more. I find I'm shifting with the whole hand/fingers now which means I'm more accurate and less likely to miss a fast shift. Despite the increase in size it doesn't wedge into the gator like the stock gear knob does in 2nd / 4th with a short shift kit. I'm liking it a lot, annoyed I didn't do it earlier. :lol:

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Woah - this thread has been neglected. \:D/

1) During the summer we installed a ali radiator as the OEM started to leak.

2) Factory faulty ECU (2nd one to blow on me) means a Link G4 + / AiT Sensor / Wideband will be installed shortly. A Dyno tune and hopefully new intake pipework as the HKS intercooler piping is poo. I'll post any Dyno or interesting updates as they come.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2 Weeks till the ECU install as there's a back order on the part. MGT Motorsports have proceeded with the following in the meanwhile. We decided against new intercooler piping as the route wouldn't be as efficient as the HKS piping so Heat Wrap has been applied following their advice.

Air Intake Sensor

Heat Wrapped HKS 'cold' pipe.

Wideband
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Link G4+ has arrived and been installed. I'll be collecting the car Saturday, excited to see what figures were put out on the Dyno as a base line. Keeping it a surprise for myself till Saturday. :mrgreen:

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Collected the car from MGT Motorsport today. A healthy base line of 210WHP 234lbft Torque @0.8 Bar on the Dynapack Hub dyno. The only surprise was my boost controller has seized at this pressure so I'll be leaving it alone until it's replaced with a solenoid managed by the ECU.

Butt Dyno wise - The Engine runs far smoother and it feels like it pulls both harder and more consistently.

I took a look at the old ECU and could spot the 2 leaky capacitors, they haven't burnt through the board so it looks repairable but for now it's going in a drawer.

nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Been running sweet the last month, just now the car started heavily bucking on light throttle. Will pull ECU codes tomorrow - hoping it's something simple like spark plugs, HT leads or coil pack. ](*,)
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

ECU code 74 pointed at low voltage on an 5v extension input. It's looking like a loose/faulty wire entering the ECU as some jiggling would repro. Spent 2 minutes removing the back plate of the ECU, unplugged and re-plugging in suspect plug, and secured with table ties. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Loving the Link G4+ Software - having ECU error codes via USB and checking live statistics of the car is awesome. Would love to hardwire in a Surface tablet running the software on the dash one day.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

All booked in for full poly bush kit install and sub frame / arms powder coated next Monday. Something I've been meaning to do for years. \:D/
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

A surprise radiator leak means a Mishimoto Rad is also being installed. I've also ordered the Class C short shift kit plus drop plate, bushes, weighted OEM rep gear knob and some new leather boots for gear stick / hand brake from the states. Picked up some red LEDs to replace the green dotted around the Cig lighter and ignition. Also reverse bulbssss as one was blown. Just waiting on the garage to finish, hoping to pick up on the weekend. Short shift kit is coming from the US so no idea when that'll hit. I need to be patient.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Good to see you're still going with this! I keep meaning to comment then forget!!

Return to “Member Profiles”