Rev 3 gts project.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

slipping clutch

Re: Rev 3 gts project.

Post by slipping clutch »

Hi Matt, car looks good and the build thread is interesting - hope you get that electrical niggle sorted out. Was it you I bought the spearco charge cooler from ( really sorry it was a while back and I can't keep track of who I bought things from ) if it was let me know and I will P.M. you a couple of pictures of it installed.
slipping clutch

Just checked and it was you I bought it from
it now lives here on the opposite side of the engine bay
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

slipping clutch wrote:Just checked and it was you I bought it from
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/slippingclutch/charge%20cooler%20three/DSC01770.jpg[/URL]
it now lives here on the opposite side of the engine bay

Wow that must be a tight fit! Knowing how big that core is you must have a power bulge on the outside of your car haha chargepipe is going to be very short and straight that way round :thumleft: . Are you mounting the turbo the traditional (oem) orientation still?
slipping clutch

A lot of cutting with the grinder to get it in there - no power bulge but it does sit about 5mm away from the inside of the outer wing! I am just in the process of changing my Turbo set as I sold my td06 - hopefully the new turbo will sit roughly near where the td06 sat as I have already fabricated the pipework and don't want to do it again. I will keep in touch via p.m. as it progresses - however I do have to admit progress is painfully slow.
Your car looks stunning - a great build - are you done with the 'tinkering' now and enjoying driving it or more modifications to come later?
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Well I hope the new turbo sits where you want it, be a bu88er to re-fab that again. Yeh keep me updated via pm, you got a build thread?

My plans are never ending, as with a lot of other members by the looks of it. I want to wide arch it, either abflug or have a go at making some custom ones. Me and a friend are going to have a go at expanding foam (obviously covering the car in something so that it doesn't stick to it, yet to decide what would best suit yet) and shaping with the end goal of making some fibre glass rear over fenders. But will see how it goes, will post up progress if and when we are brave enough haha
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Another long period of no real progress on the car but in the last few weekends I've finally installed my apexi avc-r ( really impressive trick bit of kit) and defi water temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges in my custom modified centre console (will upload pics this evening).

Whilst installling the pressure sensor taking a feed from the stock oil pressure switch location I noticed a rogue vacuum hose that had been blanked with a cap head bolt. I followed the pipe and it let to a solenoid as pictured:

After a quick google, I take it this is the A/C idle up valve. Given that my car has had the A/C removed am I safe in assuming this serves no other function than to increase idle when a/c is on, therefore meaning I can remove the solenoid, wiring and hoses and just blank it off at the intake manifold with no effects to anything on the car? I like the prospect of removing clutter from the engine bay :)
As always all help and advice is greatly appreciated.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

GTMatt wrote:

After a quick google, I take it this is the A/C idle up valve. Given that my car has had the A/C removed am I safe in assuming this serves no other function than to increase idle when a/c is on, therefore meaning I can remove the solenoid, wiring and hoses and just blank it off at the intake manifold with no effects to anything on the car? I like the prospect of removing clutter from the engine bay :)
As always all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Correct mate, bin it :thumleft:
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Nice, that's a metal bracket pipes and electrics to be removed then. I bet there are loads of things like this in my engine bay that are redundant now I have uprated so much. Any general items people can think of?

Also here's a dark pic of the avc-R and gauges

GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Long time with no updates so thought I'd have a post. Car went in for second mapping session in June, was meant to be a day trip but the day before the engine light came on and stated playing silly buggers so I had it trailered away. When I arrived error log was checked and reset with no apparent reason.... Great. The link ecu was then having a firmware update and a rough bit of wiring meant it attempted a reset and then got stuck in limbo. So I gave up the idea of a day trip mapping and left it to be fixed.
Wiring was fixed so the additions I had taken the car for could be made, my link knock block was wired in along with a new link 3 bar map sensor, but the troubles continued as when the knock block was trying to be calibrated the engine sounded very noisy meaning the knock frequency couldn't be isolated, the shims were checked and adjusted with no effect and eventually the fault was found to be a buzz from my back box. I had intended to change this anyway so I had them fabricate a new custom drooped back box to my design. Something quite 'track' and different to anything I've seen on an mr2

With this fitted they then turned to calibrate the knock block but true to the style of this build the box was faulty and the adjustment knobs were stuck. This meant I had to send it off to New Zealand for warranty repair. By this point I was sick to death of it and decided to pick the car up.
Even without the knock block it still made a gain to 431hp on the dyno. A few weeks later the knock block has been fixed and returned and I'm going to reschedule a mapping session later in the year.

For now, I've ordered up my wide arches and wheels and will press on with that (in another update).
It drove perfectly for a week of two but true to form it's now got a few niggles that are irritating me. Firstly if shifting aggressively between gears the hand brake light flashes or occasionally stays illuminated for a second or two.
Secondly the dump vavle (hks ssqv) has stopped really 'chirping' and I have developed a turbo flutter which I'm not keen on and can cause damage long term.
Has anyone experienced this with an ssqv before, could it be the dump valve is giving up the ghost?
Cheers
Matt
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Finally found my latest dyno plot. I can't say I've ever seen a 3sgte torque curve so flat (albeit quite low compared to power figure perhaps). I presume tinkering with the cams (by a professional) would yield a change and more torque but simply an increased peak torque which then tails off with rpm?

GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

A bit of progress over the weekend, wheels arrived during the last few weeks along with some abflug replica arches and skirts and a crux poly front lip.
Wheels, I ordered some rota grid drifts 9jx17 et 25 fronts and 9.5jx17 et 12 rears, these would apparently clear the struts using the wheel calculator but clearly it doesn't accurate represent tyres, as in real life they clash with the struts slightly so 5mm spacers are needed. Also the wheel arch liners will have to be removed and I'm hoping I can avoid any modifications to the chassis itself. Tyres I ordered some ad08r's 245/40 fronts 255/40 rears. Will see how these strange sizes (relatively speaking for an mr2) handle and react but looking forward to it.
Trial fitting the arches, skirts and wheels:

Not totally convinced the fronts are going to work, but going to give the wings a tweak if needed after cutting and raise the suspension as its too low at the front, and go from there.
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Progress on the car since last update, let pictures do the talking, finished arches, made up a front splitter and got it on track.

Overall happy with the car (minus gasket issues some may have seen discussed in another thread)

Next up is mock up a rear diffuser to see feasibility and aesthetics, and go for more power
craig

Post by craig »

Looks great mate :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

F**k me thats sexy :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Which turbo are you running now? Nice power!
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Turbo is a 3076r.

Developement from recent track activity, drivers side front wheel has serious play, and on inspection looks like inner steering rack rod end has play in it, so will replace both inners and track rod ends. Also breaks feel spongey so going to replace the fluid as its been long overdue.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

That looks great! One of the few cars I've seen really pull off the abflug arches. How much of the original rear arches have you cut away? Did you get any pics of them before the new arches went on?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
GTMatt

Post by GTMatt »

Cheers, I was unsure about them and is one of those jobs that it looks a lot worse before it gets better haha just have to stick to your guns and have faith.
This was a before and after first rough cut to show how high I took it, imo there was no point leaving unecessary metal, just extra weight and potential to snag wheels, so cut it all the way back to a minimum edge distance from the arch fasteners.

Also in the eagerness to get cutting, didn't protect the car with a dust sheet which was a massive massive mistake. Polished up acceptably now but it's no show car that's for sure. But as I wanted it for track use I don't mind, just would have been nice to have not had to polish the hell out of it hah
ads

Post by ads »

looks great :)
J-1

Post by J-1 »

What is the current tune - 431hp?

Return to “Member Profiles”