Pistols MR2 stories... MK1 and 2zz MK3

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Re: Pistols MR2 stories... Race car and Project car..

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi Pete

Yeah same here miss how active the place was

spent a lot of money and time to get the cosmos back to health, than i suspect everything will be cancelled this year, a lot of the bands gigs & a couple of music festivals we were so looking forward to doing have been cancelled

Keep up the good work :-)
Last edited by wilkie senior on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You can't put a V6 back in it!! The last work I did on it was getting the 4 pot working again :D :D
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I fully suspect the 4 pot will be its engine for some time (once it is actually back together of course....)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I suppose with everything that is happening i should give this thread an update!

I would like to start off.. Still have no idea where this project is going yet!!

Some time ago i got the MR2 Sprint car out of the garage for this to go onto the ramp

Starting to off load from the trailer..

ImageIMG_20200327_103145 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Few Pics out in the sun
ImageIMG_20200327_104628 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

you can see the rust in the drivers door. Luckily it came with a new one
ImageIMG_20200327_123147 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Not a huge fan of the wheels but i do like the offset.. a lot!
ImageIMG_20200327_123204 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Before Putting the car on the ramp. I gave it a good going over, checking for any potential cracks etc, and some paint
ImageIMG_20200327_123317 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Into the garage it goes.. for how long....... Who knows :)

ImageIMG_20200327_155139 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200327_155207 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

On the surface it does not (didn't) look too bad... you know where this is going..
The sills had been replaced, this is one the worst places for the MR2's to rust.

Just after getting it in there the lock down happened.
I am an engineer at a fragrance factory, Making smells for everything, including soaps and hand sanitizers so our factory is one of the ones staying open... unfortunately the wife is in the high risk group. I have been very fortunate due to other things i do, i already have a works laptop so I am now working from home as support and going through procedures etc (joys) but it is for the best.

Not fixing things at work has given me itchy feet.. so decided to fully strip the MR2 down (it is not like i need it) see what we have and rebuild from there..

The strip down begins..
ImageIMG_20200330_152631 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
The pile on the floor behind it was what was in the boot .. There was lot of stuff.. Inc rear lights, front lights, Engine mounts, wiring, poly bushes. the list goes on..

ImageIMG_20200330_152641 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Wheels and bumper off.. the rust starts to show

Look at the floor!!!
ImageIMG_20200330_164203 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Inside rear arch
ImageIMG_20200330_164151 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Behind the rear arch
ImageIMG_20200330_174546 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200330_174647_1 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Well already started stripping so carried on regardless

Started stripping the front down, i wanted all the panels off as storing them in a different location out of the way of damage
ImageIMG_20200331_165417 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Behind the front arch
ImageIMG_20200330_174609_1 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The sought after no fog light front bumper (if it goes back together ill be using a bomex or whatever i can find
ImageIMG_20200331_165423 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I knew the drivers rear arch had a repair at somepoint and it was annoying me so i decide to pull at it.. this was what i got
ImageIMG_20200402_154820 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200402_154827 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200402_154835 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Front fully stripped down
ImageIMG_20200407_144009 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

This is up inside the front arch
ImageIMG_20200407_144028 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
It is actually not as bad as it was. i have had a good poke its not thin and still solid. it seems solid.. but i need a proper go at it some point..

Decided at this point that I am still unsure what is happening with the car, but if i want it back alive again then it will be a full nut and bolt rebuild.. or it will be sold for parts.. either way. everything is coming off. every nut and bolt will be coming off down to bareshell..

Time to get the rear suspension and engine out..
Dropped in one go
ImageIMG_20200407_144208 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

hmm shouldn't see daylight there
ImageIMG_20200407_145424 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200407_145436 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

At this point.. I was missing racing.. there was only one thing for it

ImageIMG_20200408_115016_1 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next day wanted to see how deep this rust goes.. There was already a hole in the end of the passenger sill.. so i got a screw driver and poked....
this is what we have

ImageIMG_20200409_100541 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200409_101218 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200409_101223 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

hmm It looks like they left the old sill in place and just welded the new on over the top.... great....

the other side shows the repair that was done..
ImageIMG_20200409_103104 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

no comment..

Good ol toyota and their obsession with Foam
ImageIMG_20200409_120456 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

the new sills themselves look ok
ImageIMG_20200409_103127 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200409_103138 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Anyway.. the stripping down continues.. by this point i am sure you can tell i get distracted eas.....Squirrel

Where the car has been a 114hp model.. then a v6 and now a rev 4 na its undergone some wiring changes.. Jon done a great job getting this engine up and running.. i have taken loads of photos and notes of what goes where,., but what actually happens engien wise is still unsure

ImageIMG_20200409_105107 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Engine dropping out
ImageIMG_20200409_115040 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200409_115317 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200409_115323 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200409_132405 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

My garage mainly now covered in rust
ImageIMG_20200409_120502 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

by this point i was being over run with little "bits" i had removed.. so the wife ordered me some organisers
ImageIMG_20200410_141112 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

They got delivered and sat in the porch under quarantine for 12 hours :)

In the time. I knew i would want to get access into my large shed,, but it was trash, full of just stuff.. so it all got emptied out..and this was the pile of rubbish left after sorting
ImageIMG_20200411_144815 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

(this has now all been sorted and piled neatly ready for when the tips re open, and what can be recycled has been/ will be)

Now i can get to the Vice, pillar drill and dug the welder out too, which needs some attention

ImageIMG_20200411_144823 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Back to the car..
Now i had somewhere to put everything, starting at the very rear of the car and started to removed (or snap) every bolt on the car.

The boot and rear bumper area now has everything off , labelled and boxed.
Next up was the engine bay

ImageIMG_20200413_100201 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Then another parcel arrived from Ebay..
My steering wheel in the freelander is horrid. Everything else is lovely. but the wheel is melted/worn/ twisting.
In these times i did not want to have to pay for a new wheel, and this was something recommened on the forums.. So for £14 and some time i thought give it a go..

ImageIMG_20200413_111301 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200413_111305 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Now i hate steering wheel covers with a passion, but this seemed a bit different to the halfords flick over covers
ImageIMG_20200413_111451 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Time to see how my sowing skill do... Cam with needle thread instructions, you tube video..
final product

ImageIMG_20200413_125216 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200413_125220 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I doesn't move it feels great. I am sure someone with better sowing skill could do better. but i am well chuffed with it..

ImageIMG_20200413_130228 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Back to the MR2 again :)

The engine bay starting to look stripped down
ImageIMG_20200413_152950 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20200413_152959 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

same on the other side
Only thing left is to remove the fuel filler and lines.. so decide next to drop the fuel tank.. Then i can do any grinding i wanted without fuel tank worries

Repositioned the ramp lift points so i'd be able to get the tank out (hopefully) and get to the sills when i come to cut them off

ImageIMG_20200413_152946 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

More of this car on the floor i thinks
ImageIMG_20200413_152932 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

and the boxes doing a great job
ImageIMG_20200413_152928 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I have started disconnecting all handbrake cables and fuel lines..

I have done my back in a few weeks ago and it is still playing up so i am doing a bit at a time.. I am now ready to drop the tank but that can wait for another day.
I am back working from home (working hard you can see :) ) after having a week off for the wifes bday and just some fun times while doing the above

Only thing i have not ever done on cars is welding and painting. I would intend on doing them to this car, So this could be a good learning curve

Where this project is going i am still unsure. I am going to carry on stripping it down..
It will go one of two ways.. Either just get all the parts off, sell them and put towards a boxster S (had one before, i don't tinker with them, i love to tinker, but they are awesome things)
Or. complete build back up using any parts i can find on face book markets place etc etc.. the bonus to this it would be a car u built up from scratch that i can do anything i want to, that i know inside and out, I also keep going back to MR2's this one must be no.15 i think?(probably higher than that actually).. the other is a porsche.. so i am still undecided..

If i rebuild ideally would be All rust gone, Wide arch(maybe), Bomex/border front and Bomex/Border skirts, Rev 3 rear with spats, then K20 engine?

I would love to hear your thoughts on what i should do and what direction this should take?

thats me done for now, please let me know your thoughts.. I am off to do some work
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Love it!

So many parallels with my own MR2 in the garage right now. Due to the lockdown my allowance I have each month has been pit on hold (self imposed).

So I haven't done much, but your car is a bit further stripped than mine. Very similar results as you.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

thanks be interesting to see some pics of yours

Interesting. It amazes me amount of poeple who say just buy a clean shell .. at this age of car most of this rust is undetectable untill you start stripping it back.. I am sure they cam from the factory with rust!!
And you can garantee unless you strip this far down you wont find what rust it does have.

Still undecided what to do. I'd still lve to own another porsche but the bills that can come from them can be worriying where as i know these inside and out.. maybe next year ill get one again.. till then i shall carry on plodding with this and see where it takes me
Plus old 90s jap cars are cool as!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

This has not been updated for some time.. there is a bit to update.. but mainly just pictures... so enjoy.

I hope you have all been keeping well in these strange times.
The white was far to rotten and got broken to help many other MR2's live on..

WithoOur sprints cancelled and me stuck at home I decided to do some more work on the 2zz mr2..

First I cleaned the road going MR, with full clay bar etc.. it came up well

Then I ordered some things!!

That's right.. some GENUINE rotas.....

I was pretty excited..

A cheeky test fit

I then had some R888r's fitted to these. and test fitted again , just because I wanted to know how they look without extending the arches

Next out came the Dremel, this soon swapped to the grinder :)

on when the arches

Rinse and repeat for the other 4 arches,
I then used some black silicon to fill any gaps..

I was very please with how it looked.. I could not really see anywhere where it would rub..
But i wanted to test it.. I managed to book a Brands hatch evening as lockdown was starting to ease..

But I still had plenty of time to "play".
So took a big chunk out of the rear bumper, and made some speed holes, as no longer had any arch liner so that area was like a parachute

I also "white Penned" the tyres.. because why not

Then I used a heat gun and some sheet plastic to make some supporting brackets for the rear bumper

I also noticed I was missing one of the front "speed flaps" so made one of them too

Pretty pleased with how the car was looking!!

You can see i fitted a sunstrip as before I was struggling with low sun, the seat is low so could fit a large sunstrip

Then made a decal for it at work..

#Teamspeed

Next post delivery came..
New front strut brace fitted

I had removed the rear crash bar.. Ordered and made a nice bit of ally to tie the rear together

Next cheapo mod..
Had a go at flocking the dash.
It didn't come out great due to being a cheap ebay kit with a rubbish applicator. but it actually works for purpose so I am happy

Got the road MR2 MOT'd and aligned for first time since fitting the new engine

By this time it was brands!!

got to catch up with Ben at long last

Love this pic

The evening went well
I really got some great laps in.. Car felt fantastic after all the changes
So much better than it did..
Only issue I had was some Rubbing on the rear..
I did use a very large hammer on the track which made it a bit better, but once home adjustment was going to be needed

Some videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93IAbyuimo&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQVKU08TOM&t

Adjustments were made
More metal was cut out and arches were raised.. still very pleased with the way it looks and should be clear of any more rubbing

Next up was a full day at Abingdon.
No more rubbing issues.. happily pushed around a R32 GTR that would not get out of my way~!!

Love an airfield track soo much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60kL8Ng2B7g&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPxSrLTuyTg&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbfOkjf_Y0&t

With the car running well. I decided not to touch it before the First round of 2020 sprint series

This was this weekend (1/8/2020) at Three Sisters Raceway
The mr2s first proper competitive event..
It went really well, after a couple of offs..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU-cPw7Js9s

I ended up 2nd in the Toyota sprint series, and lost out to class win in the javelin series to a well sorted MX5. but only just!
I did a lot of learning. I had a great hatred for my brakes by the end of the weekend and I know I should have been faster, but I am very much still learning the car..
It was still mega

On the Sunday I came 11th overall out of 80+ cars.. very pleased beating a lot of very high powered cars..

Ben in the RX8 did amazing was sitting in second overall for a long time.. He finished 4th which is an amazing achievement.. WELL DONE!!!
That circuit really suits that car. I though it would suit the MR but i was out of lift a lot of the time.. so in future an ECU to lower lift will be coming..

Some pics and videos for you

My first Trophy in this car. I was very pleased with my 2nd place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bbQ9fA5pnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JybCVLAVAoY

A bit sideways on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfHZBrDkclo

Had a good time playing with suspension settings tyre pressures etc learning..
Here are the results of sunday

Looking forward to croft in september!!

I have also ordered new fluid and Carbotech XP8 brake pads.. as the yellow stuff just don't seem to be cutting it on this car..

Thanks for all who are reading. Hope you are enjoying.. Many more ideas in my head about what to do next!!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Morning everyone, Time for an update I think.

Part way through fitting up moving the battery to the front. I wasn't happy with it, as the battery was to big for me to fit it anywhere happily and was not my end goal. So I put it back as was originally.
Then to be honest. the lockdown blues kicked in. I had enough of the car sitting there. I actually wrote out a for sale ad twice. then I looked at putting it back to just a road car.

The wife then kick me about a bit and sorted me out, all the sprints went up, so she booked them all.
That's given me a push to get back onto doing stuff.

First was sorting a couple of bits on the trailer. When it went for a service end of last year it already needed new brake cables. This I found out was due to a design flaw of the trailer, the cables rest on the cross beam, meaning as it bounces down the road it rubs through then rusts the cable. So a little mod to stop this happening again

ImageIMG_20210227_151733 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also ever since I have had the trailer there has been an issue with one of the ramps when stored
ImageIMG_20210227_154640 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

After reshaping the cut out slightly it sat in a lot better
ImageIMG_20210227_162623 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The last piece for the trailer, now I have an extra set of wheels, so 1 track day set, 1 wet set and 1 competition set, I did not want to have to have two sets of wheels in the car, so with the help of the guys at work i have a nice tyre rack being made for the trailer
ImageIMG_20210319_110632 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

To try and solve the fast idle I purchased a new throttle body.. I found it to be wrong. But managed to get another. spot the problem. Unfortunately does not make a difference. when all the current work is done I am going to check inlet manifold gasket for leaks
ImageIMG_20210227_091503 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210227_091545 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Ben has been chasing me that we wants a passenger ride, Also Daisy turns 14 this year means she can come out on MSVT trackdays with me, So keeping an eye out i managed to get a in date FIA passenger seat
ImageIMG_20210227_130810 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Sat in the car, but not yet bolted in, I have rogue seat base to fit it
ImageIMG_20210227_154226 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next up was the Decals and the dented wing.
The green on the graphics has faded badly so I have a new design I have made, this is going to be fitted to the car by Boost designs soon. but I had to prep the car first

Old graphics off
ImageIMG_20210220_142348 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Daisy "helping" un-package the new wing
ImageIMG_20210306_142111 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Wing change
ImageIMG_20210306_151625 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210306_151633 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210306_153251 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210306_173559 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Also notice that the dent in the bumper has almost gone, I took a heat gun to it

ImageIMG_20210306_173606 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I have left off the skirt for now to help with the vinyl fitting
ImageIMG_20210306_173624 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next up was MOT time. so on a sunny day managed to get a date in
ImageIMG_20210309_102706 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Has a nice drive out. It is such a mega car

Now due to covid and working through out, My work has given everyone a little bonus which was nice, which has given me enough to book the car in for EMU black ECU I have wanted for a while. Its booked in for the 15th April for fitting and mapping
With that coming I want to get rid of the MAF and fit the intake how I wanted it. Which meant fitting the battery up front and now a cut-off switch.

So new battery ordered and worked out its new location
ImageIMG_20210325_143721 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

There wasn't anywhere on the interior to fit the cut off switch so i have made a panel up, starting with some Ally
ImageIMG_20210312_171543 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210312_171556 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Bracket for remote cutoff cable
ImageIMG_20210312_193340 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also a plate made up for holding the engine bay battery positive link
ImageIMG_20210317_094925 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210317_162727 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Fitted up the panel
ImageIMG_20210317_173851 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Battery cable started to run through to the cut off. Running the cable in protective sheaf
ImageIMG_20210325_150516 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

remote cutoff mounted
ImageIMG_20210325_170122 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

with a rubber bung to stop water coming in
ImageIMG_20210325_164754 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210325_170134 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

That was today.
Tomorrow will see the battery cable fitted to cut off then to battery, fitting the ignition cut off too, and mounting the battery..

Here is what the car has booked this year so far

10th April Lydden Track Afternoon
15th-16th April ECU+Mapping
8th May Croft Track day
9th May Croft TSS sprint Round 1
11th May Blyton charity track day
7th June Castle Combe Track day
13th June Blyton TSS sprint Round 2
1st July Blyton charity track day
3rd July Anglesey TSS round 3
4th July Anglesey TSS round 4
23rd September Blyton charity track day
10th October Cadwell TSS round 7

should be fun!
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Great to see an update! Some nice modifications there :thumleft:

I found myself watching your Youtube videos and wishing I was out on track once again... the time will come I guess.

Keep the updates coming, it's great motivation for us all :clap:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

cheers buddy. it took a lot to get me motivated, now i am on it again i cannot stop :)

Due to Anglesey selling our sprint day to someone else a few dates have changed

10th April Lydden Track Afternoon
8th May Croft Track day
9th May Croft TSS sprint Round 1
11th May Blyton charity track day
7th June Castle Combe Track day
13th June Blyton TSS sprint Round 2
1st July Blyton charity track day
7th August Three Sisters TSS round 3
8th August Three Sisters TSS round 4
23rd September Blyton charity track day
10th October Cadwell TSS round 6

May add is Anglesey on 17th track day and 18th sprint in September, but we shall see
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Well.. Time for another update.. strap in here it comes...

Finished off the wiring for the cut off switch
ImageIMG_20210327_121858 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

resistor down to earth for when shutting down while engine still running in emergency
ImageIMG_20210327_121904 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

It off in this pic with the key able to come out normal running the switch it 180 deg
ImageIMG_20210327_170853 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

the lithium battery. (which on the Rolling road performed brilliant)
ImageIMG_20210327_170915 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

With the upcoming ECU fitting there were a few things to prep. One was the intake. I wanted rid of the MAF sensor, and a larger intake pipe. The only thing the mapper wanted was a Air intake sensor on the intake pipe.
So I found out what thread it was, got a boss ordered and then ally welded at work into the pipe. The pipe I played around with for ages to find exactly where the best place for the filter would be

ImageIMG_20210329_173158 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

A Pic of wet dog on the beach.. cos why not.. This is Bess
ImageIMG_20210407_153339 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Got a seat mount kit for a mk3 from Rogue, fitted perfectly as always
ImageIMG_20210408_180144 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210408_182931 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also fitted up an extinguisher. I want to get a plumbed in one soon, this was the best place I could fit to fit it up
ImageIMG_20210408_182216 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210408_182909 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next up, Ben had got a tyre rack made up on his trailer.... I was Jealous.. So had a chat with drawing office at work to draw something up for the welders at work.. Had a word with the welders and one of my best smiles.
Week later I had this
ImageIMG_20210409_141147 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210409_141200 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Very pleased with it and now i have much more space in the car, and I don't have to drag everything out to get the tyres out
ImageIMG_20210410_111834 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The above pic was taken when prepping to go to Lydden, just to see how the car was running before the ECU went in. Cheap afternoon local with a local club.

Prepped with all the tyres on
ImageIMG_20210410_111840 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210410_123849 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210410_123857 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The track afternoon was terrible.. Personally done Lydden a few times. I definitely do not like the "overtake any side" no waiting to see if the person will let you through etc. but this is my personal view of course. The guys that were on track were fine as it was a small group of one club, not sure I would want to do an open day like this though.
It didn't help I was all stressed out before going, not been on track for ages, lots done to the car etc..
Then it rained. A lot!!

ImageIMG_20210410_135642 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

This little Jazz made me smile though, he was having a lot of fun
ImageIMG_20210410_144031 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

One of my mates I was there with had a small incident with the barrier
ImageIMG_20210410_163134 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Here is it loaded up ready to go home, notice the wet tyres were on
ImageIMG_20210410_174118 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The car ran like s**t, It still didn't want to idle, it had a massive cough before going into lift. I just wasn't happy. I ended up leaving it in 3rd the whole way round the track just to get a bit more wet experience with the car. I really hoping the mappers car sort or tell me what the issues are. It was hugely over fueling so suspect the lambda had gone bad.

Between then and going to mapping, I did manage to see Ben. This very cool car was outside his house (not his though)
ImageIMG_20210411_132825 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

A bit more prep work.
Removed the carbon canister
ImageIMG_20210414_143517 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Blocked the vac to it from the engine which would later be used on the ECU Map sensor

changed up the spark plugs, as it had been running so rich, also changed the coolant and the oil
ImageIMG_20210414_143521 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210414_143526 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

While the car was out of the garage gave it its yearly sweep up and clean to get rid of all the "ends of cable ties" and loose bolts etc

ImageIMG_20210414_175444 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210414_175452 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210414_175504 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210414_175609 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Early  Thursday morning I headed up the Road Tally Race  Engineering in Cambridgeshire

ImageIMG_20210415_085919 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

This lovely brute was there having an ECU
ImageIMG_20210415_093833 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Got my car in and the guys started work n it straight away
They were really pleased with the prep work I had put into the car, with the intake etc, They thought it had been all built well. They liked the exhaust, the location of the Lambda that was being removed for the Wideband meant we could run the new 4.9 Wideband

New ECu installed and it fire right up.
The idle still wasn't right. After playing around the idle control valve was not responding to commands.. That's fine I brought a spare.. Nope that one didn't work either. Checked all the wiring was correct, and it was all fine.
The meant he could not map in the idle control, but could map the rest. It just idled at 1600RPM

Mapping went well. Started to get a misfire at high RPM which after checking Earths it was put down to the alternator breaking down and not charging at high RPM (bouncing the brushes as bearings had gone). It cleared enough to get the mapping completed though
Lift is around the 6500 and Rev limit up to 8500, He played around with Lift location as to where the cross over point is as set it there

That night I left the car there dove home and sorted the other two spare idle control valves, back up again early in the morning. The good one I had didn't work, but the worst looking one did. Whoop, with the cold start checked and idle control mapped, He said to go take it for a drive.

Wow Main thing now is the noise!! what a thing, Its much easier to keep it in lift now, before I was having to bounce of the limiter.. I Love it!! It is a lot quicker off lift now too

Here are a few pics from the day
ImageIMG_20210415_115029 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210415_123941 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The dash I really want! was fitted on a FD2 racecar k20Turbo
ImageIMG_20210415_171820 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210416_153458 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

And got a data logger too
ImageIMG_20210416_165251 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Can you tell when it comes on lift :)
ImageRR session 2zz MK3 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Hub Dyno Vid
https://youtu.be/x64cCxM3I6o

Back home nice and safe
ImageIMG_20210416_165307 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Had to go get the Handbrake cables for the silver mk3 I am using daily, while there I picked up the next big puzzle piece (main reason for the ECU)
ImageIMG_20210417_152515 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

But that's a later thing..

I have taken a few people out, just want to drive it..
ImageIMG_20210417_164527 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I knew I had to sort this alternator issue out so next up was take that out
Removing it meant taking out the ?Drivers side engine mount, which I have never been 100% happy with since the build
ImageIMG_20210421_092246 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Engine mount and alternator out
ImageIMG_20210421_112401 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also took out and bunged up the last Lambda sensor not in use
ImageIMG_20210421_094816 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210421_112406 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Pretty sure the holes were plasma cut out, they also didn't line up 100%. So I took it into work and redrilled the holes for a nicer finish, cleaned it up and painted

ImageIMG_20210421_154838 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210421_171717 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Now I am just waiting for the new alternator to arrive, I do have a spare but thought I should fit a nice new one.

This weekend will see the fresh new decals go on. Can't wait... Almost race day
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Brilliant update! Great to see the car coming along :clap:

Your folks at work did you proud with that tyre rack too :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Just a small update
New alternator has arrived and fitted

ImageIMG_20210426_150224 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The engine mount now fits a lot nice and looks better (no pic)

and new baffled sump arrived to replace my current 1zz sump, better for track and has an outlet for maybe a turbo drain.....
Had to do a small mod to the windage tray to fit the new sump
ImageIMG_20210426_191527 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210426_191604 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210426_193212 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

fitted back up, left the sealant to cure will be filling with oil tonight

The decals are half on, not yet finished. will get pics of that when completed
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Right Update time! Picture overload this time, sorry, And a few videos to enjoy

We have been out on track.. And it was MEGA!!!!!
Image186118694_10157753927036507_8548180794386632174_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Following from the last update
Got the sump on
ImageIMG_20210504_194736 by Pete Mason, on Flickr]

My fuel tank vent was literally just a filtered vent, I was not fully happy with this incase of a rollover. Rollover fuel tank vent purchased. New bracket made, plumbed in and fitted
ImageIMG_20210430_172212 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210504_142957 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210504_145753 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

More lightness, removed some wheel arch ducting that is no longer being used
ImageIMG_20210427_151444 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

My rev counter has always gone just past the 8k mark, never quite sure how far, but thought we would have a play
ImageIMG_20210430_154804 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_160833 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

wifey helping out
ImageIMG_20210430_163959 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_165657 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_170552 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I now can confirm that my rev counter stops at 8250 (my red line is 8500) but that's where the rev counter stops moving, most stop at 8, no idea why mine goes that little further, but I do like having the 9k on the dial

Next up was the livery. This is designed on Forza 7 on my RSR Porsche for an Endurance race league I do with some friends. No intention of putting it on the MR2 originally but I really liked it, with the help of my mate Colin of Boost Designs https://www.facebook.com/boostdesignsprinter (also does Tshirts etc) we got the livery on, I love it!

Pictures up on the wall to follow
ImageIMG_20210424_130909 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

wrap arrived
Image163534668_5296242003782258_662844311376526978_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Decals printed my kel on her Cricut machine
Image180352291_257484039460369_3484770581192822321_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Marking up the lines. (this went on and off sooo many times)
ImageIMG_20210424_144339 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Colin hard at work
ImageIMG_20210428_193314 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Front going on
ImageIMG_20210425_143522 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I could go on forever with so many pictures.. but here is the finished article after a full weekend and an evening
Notice it now also has the Yoko A052 wheels on

Image183038272_10157739198381507_2480018917176176192_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Image182472758_10157739194876507_2230727272573273369_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Racedog to chase Bens Racecat(RX8)
Image182943504_10157739194701507_4449852833318449231_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Image183453891_2830083113922752_2320128972333496085_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

buy this time it was now time to go to Croft for the first (proper) trackday of the year Saturday and sprint on the Sunday

With the Landy loaded up, I had a lot more room in the boot now i do not have to put the tyres in there
I could also Take 2 sets of wheel, one wets and one trackday. The sprint tyres were on the car but needed scrubbing in.

For me the perfect towing set up :-

Image185080217_10157750900501507_3861256211087804074_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image186210342_10157750901031507_3433799641012145448_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Landy Towed all the way to croft in one hit no issues averaging 28mpg. Very happy with that, perfect comfort in all of the weather.
Croft Race dog finally got to meet up with Racecat and i got to see Ben
Image184226453_2831358107128586_892570265357466114_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
(Me and Ben both had covid tests all clear etc etc etc)
Image183146065_2831358157128581_3827913434116116201_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
It was just great to catch up with him

The trackday was shall we say .. Damp :), We still went out on Semi slicks for first run out, to scrub them in and see what they were like, other than the standing water they were very good. We still swapped to the rainsports until late afternoon. I dried up a bit standing water went away so swapped back to the A)52's to scrub them in ready for sprints the next day
Saturday pics

Image185198199_2834380650159665_8643320357522525334_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image185782592_2834380580159672_5569948536800249476_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image185775123_2834380570159673_869982710493971158_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Wetsuit on for tyre change
Image183725255_2831358133795250_518677443726114153_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I have also noticed the sump leaking a little, so tightened the bolts but will redo that.

Next up was croft sprint. It was the complete opposite to the day before, Dry Sunny and warm.
Even with the finish being 10m further on that last year, I still beat last years time and only half a second off the rX8, I will catch it!!

I did have one epic run but i caught the MX5 in front (started 30 secs before me). They always say keep ya foot in as the timing gear will see the two cars if not too close. Unless you have to lift as no overtaking them.
I managed to get over the line just as i had to life, but the timing gear didn't see that there was two cars as i was less than 1/2 second behind the MX (oops)
On the re run they clutch slipped massively going into 2nd and 3rd I then locked up going into tower and put flat spots on the tyres, which was horrible for the next few runs. So the ru was junk and the clutch could not cope with the new A052s which were mega.

For last few runs of the day I nursed the clutch off the line, still got my quickest time and won the class in Javelin Sprint and Toyota Sprint. 5th overall in Toyota too I was very pleased with
Image184895987_10157749943441507_946792876199320096_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image184013743_10157745497131507_4387960863049533761_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image184257176_10157745497151507_5700397821757965167_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Paddock shots putting on the sponsor stickers
Image185061081_10157750899671507_1241685273822022885_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also managed to get a drive out in the new Yaris GRRRRRRR, Very entertaining car, sounded great (had a cobra exhaust on). Too much monies for someone like me, but still a great little thing

Here is the Vid of my fastest lap

https://youtu.be/kHQqnt595fs

I really need to remember to sort the spot focus for outside the car

Ben went of home to see the twins and I wasn't going straight home as I had Franks Charity Tracday at Blyton on the Tuesday (breaks up the long drive home nicely). Extra night in the AirBNB was lovely, open fire, watch Spectre (great film) and uploaded the youtube vid.

Monday I was in no rush as Blyton was only couple of hours away so decided to give the dales a little run. That was hard, I am used to flat marsh, but really enjoyed it
Lots of this
Image185416276_10157750900541507_8219165963631841875_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image185667249_10157750899801507_3696496800209888814_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Anyways, the trip to Blyton was event full for the Rain..and sun.. and hail... and sun.... and rain... But again Landy performed with no issues towing the MR2 along

Got to Blyton in good time , stopping en-route for some superunleaded for MR2
Image184210513_2832855146978882_6854947673874159886_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Image186018087_10157753924916507_1063691607886301873_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Mark from work in his patched up BM Looking much better now made the journey up to try a new track to for him
Image186316625_10157750900636507_5090528672916677653_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Blyton was amazing. It really suited the MR2, and I've done loads of laps there i know the track, driving the car so much over past couple of days, it all came together. The car was just staggeringly good all day. It really did blow my mind. I felt at home in the car, It just came together for me and just a great day.
I did run the R888rs on this day which i really noticed the difference, but they still work really well!
Even Phil came and saw me! whoop
Image186008097_10157750901361507_9048128194131049042_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The MR won ANOTHER cup!
Image185316176_10157750900286507_363220146792794119_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
(very proud of this one)

The photographer got some fantastic pictures
Image185912879_10157753924961507_5534542236433972648_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image186066007_10157753926911507_2700644999475182298_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image186279808_10157753926386507_3267672609214188091_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image186511933_10157753929271507_1238958554497379823_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Happy me
Image185535068_10157753927781507_3618301501544650454_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image185462290_10157753929166507_3922046981173523298_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

scared Mark :)
Image185864823_10157753929216507_7326177953203555749_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Image186118694_10157753927036507_8548180794386632174_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image185689965_10157753926611507_2074781864937076250_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image186452211_10157753926571507_8104198434102834565_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

A little vid of the day
https://youtu.be/oFokpHbdzbA

And a vid from Lewis in his 1000kg 280hp E30 trying to keep with the MR
https://youtu.be/dGODbIzm2j0

Home on the Tuesday night 780 Miles completed

Hug from my Lil girl with the cup
Image185923704_10157750901086507_7518538377562106564_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Wednesday we ordered the new clutch. I have new rear main seal, just in case, i couldn't stretch to lightened flywheel this time. Also got some RTV to reseal the Sump again
ImageIMG_20210514_103002 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210514_103259 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210514_103310 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I just need to await the new pressure plate, touch and go if it will get here before Castle Combe TD and Blyton Sprint. Ill just nurse the clutch if I need too.

Errr that's all for now, thanks for reading!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Another little update for you

Had a trackday booked with Ben at Castle Combe

The only thing I done before then was change the sump gasket again.. but with that sorted off I went

Was a great weekend, but no real photos.. so here is a video from the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA5SIABmFe0

The trackday was the Monday, Blyton was the following ~Sunday, I needed to get the clutch changed & work full time & my daughters Bday .. I wanted it done!

When home dropped the gearbox out on my own.. that was fun!!
ImageIMG_20210608_200001 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Getting it back in on my own, but clutch changed, felt great!
As a reminder. here it is
ImageIMG_20210514_103310 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Nicely sprung, I wanted it bedded in before launching
So Friday afternoon i managed 140 miles of driving
ImageIMG_20210611_202704 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Saturday morning before l loaded up i got the Geo redone
ImageIMG_20210612_085158 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The 4 hour trip up was completely uneventful, and no traffic
Got unloaded, with the Fensport Yaris next to me
ImageIMG_20210612_181917 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210613_080314 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Makes my car look tiny

on the other side was Phil's awesome MK1 turbo MR2
ImageIMG_20210613_080326 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The day didn't start well, had a massive lock up into the first corner
Image51250856956_ba76a3b2d7_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image51251051708_5121eab515_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Image51251607929_1a4b5240ce_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Some good pics of the day
Image51251889750_0d07f7bf57_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Getting Air
Image51250098197_f643c477d5_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Image51251010433_e466427c07_o by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I managed to Pip Aaron to 1st place by just over a second, he was having issues all day, but i know he is going to be right on my tail at three sister (if not infront, but lets hope not )

I managed a 1.12.2 there was more time to be had, but it was the fastest timed lap I have ever had around Blyton, and it was quicker than last time the RX8 went round :)

Here is the Vid: -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amWl9V56dA8

Next up on the 1st I have another track day at Blyton.

I have a few ideas to do, Flat floor, splitter, lets see how that goes
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Well, As Phil has gone to the effort of writing an update.. I suppose i should follow suit..
But as usual it will be one of my badly written cobbled together with lots of pictures type one :)

there are a variety of cars this time.. but it is me so you expect that

So last up we saw I had done well at Blyton
First up was a little bit of work on the road MK3..
started off like this
ImageIMG_20210527_212305 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210528_060531 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

but needed a few jobs.
These consisted of
Full valet including spending 2 hours on the roof, de-fogging the headlights
BC coilovers
Remove the TTE style bar (i don't like it)
Braided brake lines
Full alignment
new SP alloys.

As promised. Pictures for you
ImageIMG_20210820_093503 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210820_102636 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_124909 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_160459 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_170002 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_170004 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_170312 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_171020 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_183027_1 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Came up well
ImageIMG_20210822_191119 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_191124 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_191135 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210822_191519 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210827_124543 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I got a bit bored not having a quicker daily car.. and saw this cheap up the road, so bought this, kept for two weeks for a bit of fun and then sold it :) and yes it was a manual t5
ImageIMG_20210719_054559 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210719_055250 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I then when up to Phils and spent a weekend like this, changing a clutch

The home made engine rain cover out of ally had broken, so i mad ea new one, and one for Dave Rowe who was having plenty of rain issues with his MR2 as well
ImageIMG_20210729_001514 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

You may of spotted a Mini in Phil's update,
Well its my Wife's old one, which due to illness she was unable to drive anymore, it was sold over to Phil as a project, but Hpil purchased the MR2 turbo.
He offered it back to us, still my wife couldn't drive it, but Daisy is getting to the age where she has really got into cars recently.
So she asked if she could buy it for me and her ot work on together and for her to learn on.
So here it is
ImageIMG_20210729_144304 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Stripping it down for paint
ImageIMG_20210729_150726 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Also our best friend Jackie (who actually owns the silver MR2) purchased a new daily. I very much like this
ImageIMG_20210802_111314 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Back to racecar. Not much prep was needed for a full weekend at Three Sisters Raceway (Kart circuit)
So I gave it a wash
ImageIMG_20210804_100705 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

What should be a 5 hour journey, turned to a 11 hour nightmare.. but i arrived
ImageIMG_20210806_173440 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

It was Wet. So Si let us use his van as cover
ImageIMG_20210807_103845 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
(this is Aaron & his missus who is my main competition)

Very Wet!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHy-aobs58g

Here is Racecat showing how wet it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0nNJZWozg

unfortunately racecat had some issues. which after much playing about, Ben had enough, its not been sold and he has a new racecar :)
ImageIMG_20210807_134559 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The day wet well for me
ImageIMG_20210807_165241 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210807_172301 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Managed to get a couple of Pics is Aarons MR2
ImageIMG_20210807_173150 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210807_173157 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Very similar but very different
ImageIMG_20210807_173532 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I was wet
ImageIMG_20210807_192637 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

For the evening we went Karting. in that weather.. It was the most fun!!!! it was so sketchy, but I have not laughed so much in a very long time!!
first race I started 12th, worked my way up finished 3rd

then second race they done reverse grid, so started 19th, got up to 2nd then was spun out, down to last, managed to work my way back up through the pack, Also managed 2nd fastest lap time behind an ex-prokarter, so very happy
ImageIMG_20210807_195646 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Not much to say about the Sunday race day.
It started wet again, then drying. the run after lunch i was 2nd overall in the Toyota sprint series and 4th overall in the who event. But it didn't last, it soon dried up a bit more and others found more time
I still got class win for both series (I had never wanted it to rain as much as i did that day!)
ImageIMG_20210808_165511 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Here is video from Three sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIky8ZOUzU

As soon as i got home was back on the road again for family holiday to Derbyshire
ImageIMG_20210817_123314 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

me and daisy went to the British motorshow, where she found many cars she had wanted to see for a long time. One was a z28 Camaro which we went out for a ride in
ImageIMG_20210821_120557 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210821_120608 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
she loved that car. Daisy has 3 bucket list cars, a 67 impalla, classic beetle and her favorite a dodge Hellcat. so very excited to see one for the first time
ImageIMG_20210821_142750 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

We also went over to my mates bunker where she got to have a drive of a few bits (got to make memories)
MR2
ImageIMG_20210828_155715 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
FN type R
ImageIMG_20210828_162706 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Not bad first 2 cars to drive

I then got sidetracked by painting the house
ImageIMG_20210830_111942 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210830_171837 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Tow car Landy we have had 2 years now, we still think its brilliant so time to give it some love
ImageIMG_20210903_151848 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210903_172716 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

cleans up so well for 159K miles, It had its MOT and flew through
ImageIMG_20210912_154044 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210912_154032 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
nice place to sit when towing for many hours
ImageIMG_20210912_154255 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210912_160944 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Again back to the race car :) (I get side tracked easy, I am sure if i wasn't leading championship all this time would have been spent improving the MR2)
So want to do a bit of work on the Aero of the car.
I have two 8x4 sheets of ally to make a flat floor with, but first off is making some way for the air to get out of the radiator
so I started playing and this is where it led me
ImageIMG_20210912_160944 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210906_081931 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210908_104514 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210908_110403 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210908_110414 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

It has been taken out for now as is still work in progress, mainly for over winter

I also found someone purchased a mk3 at work. not sure who yet.. but parking rules apply
ImageIMG_20210906_134935 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210906_142524 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next up was a Friday track day at Anglesey and Raceday Saturday
ImageIMG_20210915_131527 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

6 hours later with no traffic Arrived!
ImageIMG_20210916_172010 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I don't have any pictures of being there as it was all a little bit of a disaster.
In the morning on 3rd lap the car started blowing blue smoke badly..
I went into the pits, seemed to clear, checked all levels, all was okay
Did a couple more stints in the morning and it was okay
Then on the second stint, as soon as it went into lift it felt like a misfire, limped it back round, and the bottom end had let go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrzQfdVWXo

So It was a long journey home that night missed the raceday at Anglesey. time for a new Engine!!
A chat with Andy and Stacey at J-Spec i soon had one on its was as next day delivery
ImageIMG_20210924_145759 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210924_145803 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210924_145833 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

As said I get distracted easy.
Kels little KIA went back to KIA, which the chip shortage, they offered us more than what we bought it for, with kels issues she wanted and auto daily, so is now in the Landy.. Which meant i went looking for a new daily for me (landy was my main daily)
Got myself back in a turbo hot hatch.. its a lotta fun
ImageIMG_20210919_084517 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210924_162953 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Done some preventative work on it so i could use it before starting on the MR2 engine swap
Cam follower, HPFP, Sump pick up, full service, Ram air induction and a Miltek cat back as the old one was rotted with a hole in it
ImageIMG_20210921_152653 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210924_163019 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next up with Cadwell fast approaching it was time to start engine swap on the MR2
ImageIMG_20210925_094539 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210925_120716 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I'm organized honest :)

A few hours later
ImageIMG_20210925_144207 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210925_144755 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Progress has been slow, I have been on nights so when i am not too tired i have jumped on it.
Stripped the donor engine down
none of this was needed
ImageIMG_20210927_124816 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210927_124827 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

The clutch on the donor was toast!
ImageIMG_20210927_153556 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Engine back in
ImageIMG_20210927_175741 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

That is pretty much it.
I have the suspension back on with new drive shaft seals and drive shafts in.
Hopefully today (Friday) when i get up, ill get it back up and running again, with an alignment next week,
Then its Cadwell Trackday Sat with raceday Sunday..
Fingers crossed all goes well

That's it for now.. that was a heavy one, not much about the MR2 this tie, but life happens... Over winter will be Aero work.

Oct 27th I'm at Brands taking Daisy round for her first time being out on track (passenger) its my birthday so its gonna be a good day!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Takes bloody hours to do these updates when you leave it so long, doesn't it! :lol:

Feels like I've just skimmed back through our WhatsApp group message :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Pretty much!! I was bored on nights last night
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

How do.
No update for a long time!! Sorry

Firstly We wont the class championship at Cadwell end of last year so very pleased.. car was fantastic all year (except for needing a new engine of course)
Since then it got tucked away in a friends garage and haven't seen it since.

Main reason, I can't afford track prices and i really cannot afford the cost of the series now, It was £90 an event when i started with several down south. They are all north , the closest being blyton which is 5 hours away and event range from £150 to £270 and for 6 laps i just cannot justify that any more :(

So i haven't even gone to see the car for "prep".. going from that i now have several things i want to do on the house and many things i want to go and do with my daughter (one being going round Scotland)

In October i got a new family car which i have been playing with (didn't get on with the volvo)
ImageIMG_20220302_113549 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220302_113557 by Pete Mason, on Flickr
Done a few bits to it, really nice car..

and here is a picture of our newest cat (9 months old) being an idiot
Image273539383_10158214588006507_3944368783866423711_n by Pete Mason, on Flickr

So rather than let an awesome car just sit there doing nothing, i have put too much into it, so for now, its getting converted back into a road and use it!

I have to take the cage out as i want the wife to drive it, and she can't really use harnesses, and as a daily itll be a pain.
Exterior will stay the same and underpinings, but inside will go comfy
So first off is to strip it, luckily my daughter is at an age she wants to be involved and learn so we we had a great day of fun
Trailer got sold
roof offs
Seat outs
Dash out
Cage out

the silver one is going to be broken and used as a parts car to get the race car back to road spec
Pics for your enjoyment

Home
ImageIMG_20220324_112207 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Next to the donor car
ImageIMG_20220324_113718 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220324_115952 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Roof off
ImageIMG_20220326_130815 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

my helper
ImageIMG_20220326_135438 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

enjoying the sun
ImageIMG_20220326_143250 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220326_144953 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220326_145333 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

Ill keep you updated on how we get on
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I really need to do an update.
But the 2zz in on the road and amazing, i love driving it

It is great to be able to drive it for more than 6 laps a month :).
So i had a road trip around the south - mid uk to see friends/let them have a go.
Here are a couple of pics of where it is at the moment, i will sort out the pictures and update soon :)
ImageIMG_20220716_202953 (1) by Pete Mason, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220716_205307 by Pete Mason, on Flickr

I have also been round Scotland in the scirocco so got some great photos from that

Return to “Member Profiles”