The Green Hornet

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTMatt

Re: The Green Hornet

Post by GTMatt »

This is an extremely cool project.

Any pics of the tablet/ monitor installed, showing logging like that is brilliant! :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Glad you're keeping the car fella. Tuned in for updates. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Would be good to see you in the TSS! I'm hoping to compete in the Javelin Sprint Series next year which shares dates and venues :thumleft:

Plus, there are a lot of Celica GT4s which need some decent competition ;)

2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

GTMatt wrote:This is an extremely cool project.

Any pics of the tablet/ monitor installed, showing logging like that is brilliant! :thumleft:

Cheers :)

I haven't had much time over the last few months to even look in the garage, let alone do anything else, but I will try and post some pictures of the tablet in the dash later.

I've just found that my data logger has been upgraded to support CAN, so I will soon be realising the full potential of the data logger - basically I'll be able to log anything that is fed into the ECU (I know I can already do this with the Syvecs, but this can be controlled from the cabin).
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

RedMR² wrote:Glad you're keeping the car fella. Tuned in for updates. :D

Me too. I think I was having a low ebb because I was so busy at work! Didn't like having it sat in the garage never being used!!

I'm actually a bit excited again about it, even though I'm going to land up with less power than I currently have...
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Ben wrote:Would be good to see you in the TSS! I'm hoping to compete in the Javelin Sprint Series next year which shares dates and venues :thumleft:

Plus, there are a lot of Celica GT4s which need some decent competition ;)

That GT4 was at Blyton wasn't it? Sure I recognise it.

I've got a fair chunk of work to do before the car can enter TSS, but I'm making some progress now :)
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Received my GTX3071r from the states last week but wasn't around to do anything with it :(

Took the GT35 off last night, came off pretty easily. Found that the turbine housing on the Gt30 is half an inch smaller than the 35, so ordered a new reducer. Also found the air filter was a bit battered, so new K&N on order too.

So in other news, while I wait for the bits to arrive, and while I had room behind the passenger seat, I fitted the eyelets for the rear Harness mounts. While I was at that, I decided to start on the stripping... Removed the rear firewall carpet and the plastic trim from the passenger side. Started bashing out the sound deadening, but then I got bored....

The long winter has started :lol:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

:thumleft: keeping an eye to see what you are doing to get ready for next year :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Looks like there are only two competitors in A1, or at least there were last season. What are their cars like? I saw a pic of the MR2 that won. Looks nice.

I have a few ideas that I probably will keep quiet, but mainly it's just going to be a(nother) stripped out tubby running lots of boost :wink:
Last edited by Shmed on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Shmed wrote: Found that the turbine housing on the Gt30 is half an inch smaller than the 35, so ordered a new reducer.

I thought they were both T3...or was you GT35 a T4?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sorry, my terminology may be wrong. I mean the outlet. 2.5" on GT35, 2" on GT30
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ah right- the compressor housing outlet, gotcha :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

That's the one. I hope there is no difference in the flange that bolts to the manifold...
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Shouldn't be- the GT30 / GT35's are the same (as long as your GT35 was a T3 as well) :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Shmed wrote:Looks like there are only two competitors in A1, or at least there were last season. What are their cars like? I saw a pic of the MR2 that won. Looks nice.

I have a few ideas that I probably will keep quiet, but mainly it's just going to be a(nother) stripped out tubby running lots of boost :wink:

that's right
one is the red gt4 above the other is the mr2
both 3sgte engines so it will be good to get more there
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Gtx 3071 now fitted, surprisingly easy.... Get the exhaust next week, then remap on 17th.

Hope to get a decent power curve for the track, will be happy with anything over 450hp and with the turbo spooled by 4k hopefully. Also want to try and make a bit more top end, so as to get a longer power band rather than insane torque :)

Then it's sorn for the winter as the tax is up at the end of the month.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Well, after a long day, Ryan has sorted a few niggles with the car (tacho fixed and it seems that some of my Ecu pins were loose). He has also done a sterling job remapping the car.

Thanks to Ash for the guidance with the turbo choice. I know you put a lot of research into it in the past, and don't worry, I have no issue with the GTX3071, except that it is insanely difficulties drive in the damp on r888's....

Before diving into the graphs, I have to point out that my objectives for this session were not based on peak power figures. I had no expectations that the 3071 would compete with the 35r. The main objective was to spool quicker and to raise the Rev limit, with the peat power being incidental. Having said that, I was always hoping for 450hp.

As is well publicised, the car made 550hp and 530lb at 2 bar on the GT35.

So, after a few runs, this was the peak power run with the car running at 1.7 bar:

So a nice peak of nearly 500Hp with spool between 4000 and 4800 rpm, and power maintained to 7200 rpm. All looking good.

I was hoping to run the boost at 2 bar as everything I've read says the gtx turbos really need to be boosted to realise their potential. Ryan said that it probably wouldn't make much more than 500 though without risking reliability. He detected some knock on the run above, so wound it back a little. I was happy with that as I wasn't chasing figures and would rather the car survived a season of racing rather than having bragging rights :wink:

So this the final run and the high power map as it stands :

[email protected] 430lb torque.

So I lost 60hp and about 100torques, but gained about 2000rpm on the power band.

The,drive back from Surrey, on the 1 bar map felt insane. The way the power comes on is exactly what I was looking for, though I think I need to learn to drive a bit better now as it is not forgiving when accelerating around bends!

The car finally feels like my own. I have two weeks of tax and mot left to make the most of the new toy, please stop raining...

Roll Cage next.
Last edited by Shmed on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Well in mate..chuffed for you :thumleft: :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Forgot to add, the chargecooler was cool to touch through the whole mapping session without using the ice box :)
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “Member Profiles”