The Green Hornet

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: The Green Hornet

Post by ashley »

oohhhhh....now that IS interesting...... O:)
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Good news - see you there in the hornet Paul I hope
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Oops, missed all these replies.

Well, I finally got a chance to do something to the car.... but alas, still no pictures.... I do have the car really.....

Swapped the rev 3 rake steering column for my rev 2 reach/rake column, swapping the ignition barrels in the process. A very boring update, but clearing the way for the following tasks:

1. Install RaceCapture Pro data logger & Bluetooth module
2. Mount Android tablet into dash - to provide a 'race dash' using inputs from the Syvecs and the Race Capture Data Logger
3. Mount the camera system, which will consist of 2 x DogCam Bullet HD2's, hardwired and controlled by a switch, a GoPro HD (already got it, so might as well use it), and a pair of mics to get decent sound from the engine.
4. I also need to modify my indicator/wiper stalks as I can't reach them easily now I have the D1 boss fitted.

I have been reading about people using the GoPro expansion port to create a remote button push, which means I will be hoping to fit a switch (within reach of the driver when harnessed in) that will start all cameras recording, and the data logger logging at the same time.

I also need to source a pair of matching side mount FIA approved seats that will fit in my car, and fit the harnesses.

Then, and this is (I guess) the interesting bit, I'm talking to Peter about what I need to do to get the car to Brighton this year, running in the same class as before. I'm going to leave the interior intact for this year, have one punt at the Brighton Trial in the road going class, then next year, will be going for max weight loss and roll cage, with the aim of entering the TSS.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I reckon the reason I haven't got any decent photos is because of the weather by the way!
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Another boring update, I have now fitted the door locks from my old car and fixed the central locking. Peter was correct in diagnosing the little white switch inside the door that tells the central locking that the key has been turned had gone wrong.

Fingers hurt and hands are chafed from squeezing into the door!

Also fitted the correct lower steering wheel shroud to match the reach and rake steering column, fitted my window switch to replace the existing one with a broken clip and decided where to mount the Hudl. Need a dremel now.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Shmed wrote:Another boring update, I have now fitted the door locks from my old car and fixed the central locking. Peter was correct in diagnosing the little white switch inside the door that tells the central locking that the key has been turned had gone wrong.

Fingers hurt and hands are chafed from squeezing into the door!

I feel your pain! I have just finished doing the exact same job on Conrad's (ex-Karl's) car which had exact same problem.

Glad you got it sorted.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Here, a couple of pics just to prove I do actually have the car now (Peter, you'd be forgiven for not recognising the garage, new racking and plenty of trips to the tip make a huge difference)!

And this is the depressing sight of the last MR2.... Still, onwards and upwards :)

January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
craig

Post by craig »

Shmed wrote:

And this is the depressing sight of the last MR2.... Still, onwards and upwards :)

That's what my current project looks like now!! :lol:

Enjoy the car fella, she sure is a beast.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:That's what my current project looks like now!! :lol:

Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm going to get it seam welded, and fit an outboard. Reckon it's the only way I'll ever get to drive it :lol:

Is yours moving slowly now Craig? I wouldn't worry too much, it's (possibly) more frustrating having the car sat ready, but with rubbish weather!
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
craig

Post by craig »

Shmed wrote:I'm going to get it seam welded, and fit an outboard. Reckon it's the only way I'll ever get to drive it :lol:

Is yours moving slowly now Craig? I wouldn't worry too much, it's (possibly) more frustrating having the car sat ready, but with rubbish weather!

:lol:

More than happy with the engine overhaul etc, wish I could say the same for the body shell........it's a bit of a sore point. :lol:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Oh dear... Less said the better? Do you have an estimated completion date?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
craig

Post by craig »

Shmed wrote:Oh dear... Less said the better? Do you have an estimated completion date?

Nah, only messin bud, just been delayed a few times that's all. Estimated completion date for painting of shell and return to Pete's is around 2 weeks. :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Cool, you'll have it back finished in 3 weeks then :wink:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Well, it's been a while now since I bought the Green Beasty, and I realise I still haven't done a decent write up. And I have to say, this isn't the write up either, but I should have some quiet time soon to sit down and write something longer than this.

I have fitted the data logger, and run a few extra wires for the camera project (which hit the back burner when I had the misfire issue). I have now fixed the mis fire, and the car goes like stink :mrgreen:

So, as I have nothing more to say, and :ttiwwp: .........
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
craig

Post by craig »

What an absolute beast. :twisted:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

It took me twice as long to clean as my old one. The Bomex wing added about 30 minutes :lol:

It's had an Autoglym HD Waxing and all the cat prints and dust are gone.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Can't wait for my passenger ride around Castle Combe ;)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Ben wrote:Can't wait for my passenger ride around Castle Combe ;)

:lol: Still working on that one.... I need to get the folks to take the kids to nursery and I'm there! :thumleft:

Then I have the choice, fit the harnesses, or fit the cameras......doubt I'll find time for both....

Cameras then :D
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “Member Profiles”