The Green Hornet

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: The Green Hornet

Post by ashley »

Have you tested how loud your exhaust is yet? Might be "interesting" for track day limits :-k
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Not tested it as yet. I do have a Maplin dB meter somewhere. I know it's fappin' loud though....
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Has it got a screamer?

Curious to see how you get on, it's one of the things on my "not sure" list for my car: will I get my exhaust quiet enough for UK trackdays? :-k :lol:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Not got a screamer. It's routed back into downpipe (like my last one). It's still loud though....
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I've got a db meter if u or anyone in fact wants me to take it to japfest?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Nice to see the pics, love the bonnet, it makes me want one and i know of one that maybe available but i think i need to resist =;
Looking forward to seeing some more of this :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I like the bonnet too. It's so light! And when I bought the car, I never even knew it had a carbon bonnet :oops:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Yup and i now know why some people get carbon, i was never a fan til i felt how light the bonnet is :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Saving weight is free power. You become an obsessive weight weeny though, especially the lighter your car gets 8-[
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm not too worried about weight loss at the minute, I have the power to not need to.... I know it'll be a different kind of animal once it's gone on a diet (next year).
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Its not something ive thought about as i wont be using mine as a track car, but it would be nice if someone had a comparison chart of weight (before & after) of different body parts :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Shmed wrote:I know it'll be a different kind of animal once it's gone on a diet (next year).

Ooo, do tell? :)

Gullzter wrote:Its not something ive thought about as i wont be using mine as a track car, but it would be nice if someone had a comparison chart of weight (before & after) of different body parts :D

There is: http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/weight.htm :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Magic Beans wrote:
Shmed wrote:I know it'll be a different kind of animal once it's gone on a diet (next year).

Ooo, do tell? :)

Ah, not quite as interesting as it sounds.... Just planning to strip the interior and fit a cage once I've had a go at the Brighton Speed Trials.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

So I've been plugging away at the motor over the last few weeks. Misfire was fixed thanks to Ash suggesting fuel pressure :thumleft: .

That freed me up to concentrate on the other tasks, which were:

1. Fit cameras
2. Fix rev counter
3. Fit data logger
4. Fit harnesses

I have some pictures of the camera installation, but they aren't that interesting. Here is the finished product:

Front Cam:

Rear Cam:

These cameras are both hardwired and have a 32GB card in them, so there will be no more missing track footage. Wired to turn on automaticaaly from a dash mounted switch.

I also have a GoPro mounted inside the car for 'in-car' footage. Using the expansion port on the GoPro, I have wired a car charging system and stuck another 32GB card in (again, no more missed footage). I have also connected two mono mic's, placement of these is TBC but I reckon maybe one for engine and one for induction.

Making all this work together is not as easy as it might seem however. I have really had to get involved with this one. I have bought some stripboard, and some 5V relays, and need to get making an electronic board to allow my datalogger to start the GoPro automatically from the same switch as the other cameras.

The rev counter still doesn't work, but I might know why now. I've bought some ECU pins and a crimper so I can re-make some of the loom. Hopefully I'll get that sorted before Blyton on 18th July (I think a rev counter would be nice).

Anyway, thought I'd post something, as I haven't for a while.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Well it's been a long two months since I last posted to this, but I think I am nearly there with the car.

The GoPro is now wired, on a separate push switch as the electronics thing was too complicated. Works fine and I get feedback that the camera is actually recording, so no more missed footage = objective achieved.

I haven't got pics with me, but I have removed the stereo and cubby hole and replaced them with a 7" tablet. This has been fibreglassed in, and doesn't look too bad. The tablet connects to my data logger via bluetooth, so I can see turn by turn info when on track, and also see G's, lap times ( :whistle: ) and other configurable inputs - though I haven't yet configured any, I'm thinking I might do tyre temps, but this is a separate project.

As an added bonus, I now have Sat Nav in the 2, and it can provide audio through an amp if I were wanting to add weight.... I have just left myself an audio jack to listen to tunes/directions if needed.

I have moved the Syvecs ECU control switch to clean up the dash look as I was left with a spare 52mm hole where I removed the DPIC gauge.

Harnesses and Recaro driver seat are fitted, including crotch strap. I stil;l need to fit a Recaro in the passenger seat and add the passenger harness, but that isn't essential for the time being.

Next project involves some steel pipe, a pipe bender, and a spare set of indicator/wiper stalks....

Rev counter still doesn't work :( and still can't get the CANBus feed into my data logger, but again, these are nice to have, not essential.

Last thing I'm considering is still the exhaust. I think the R1 is too loud for the track, and the wife, so planning to modify the Mongoose mid-section to remove the 2.5" restriction. More on that soon.

I'll post some pics of the tablet when I get chance.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Shmed wrote:
Next project involves some steel pipe, a pipe bender, and a spare set of indicator/wiper stalks....

More details please!!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

In short, my snap off boss makes my indicators hard to reach. A couple of bends in some 9mm ID pipe, an extension and resolder of some wires, and a spare set of stalks for if (when) it goes wrong, and Bob's your uncle, extended wiper/indicator stalks :)
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

A lot of effort for minimal gain, but I want this thing perfect, so I lose the urge to change.....
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Well. Having decided to keep the car, I have decided that I need to make it my own so that I appreciate it more.

In short, the GT35 is too laggy for my needs, the redline is too low (~6500RPM) and the exhaust is too noisy.

So, GTX3071R is clearing customs as I type, and Fujitsobo Legalis is ready and waiting to be fitted.

I hope to still maintain ~500HP, though the main aim is improving the power band for use on track.

After that, I will be stripping the interior to retain only the components absolutely necessary for an MOT and fitting a cage.

Then, maybe TSS....
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “Member Profiles”