Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

Had a busy busy weekend. Finally had everything ready to final fit :mrgreen:

Most of the parts laid out ready to go on

So off to work I went. Started with the oil filter relocation kit and replacement coolant hoses, then worked up from there. Manifold, turbo, exhaust, wastegate, screamer pipe, intercooler pipe and coolant neck.
Got all the turbo's oil and coolant lines connected and tightened down, except the drain going back to the sump, so we can make sure the turbo is definitely getting oil before start up.

Another part going on the car is a homemade engine brace. I started making this last year and then it got put to one side when I got to the point of needing it welded. When I had my exhaust work done I asked the guy if he could weld up my brackets, which he was more than happy to do.
It's a pretty simple design, that basically copies the old v-max braces.
For those that don't know, it runs under the sump, alongside the exhaust and bolts up between the front engine mount and body at one end, and onto the rear gearbox mount at the other.

Still a hole to drill on the smaller plate in the picture above, but I waited till it was all bolted up to do that to make sure I cleared the sump.
I'll get a picture of it fitted this weekend.

The old man got a new toy the other day. So whilst im on my back all weekend, with the car on axle stands, he's the other side of the drive like this...

Not jealous at all, honest :evil: :lol:

Anyway, back to the task at hand. With everything all bolted up now, I went around and double checked everything was in place/nipped up and then moved onto fluids.
Oil first. Drained the old oil and filled up with some fresh fully synth castrol edge 10w40.
Then onto coolant. Fill, bleed, fill, bleed, etc, etc, you know the score!

Removed the EFI fuse and put a tub under the oil drain hose. Turned the engine over until we had oil flowing through the turbo and out the drain. Plumbed the oil drain back into the sump, replaced the EFI fuse...

Right, we're ready to go! Turned the key and she fired into life straight away, sounding marvelous :mrgreen: \:D/ :mrgreen: \:D/

I did make a video but the iphone sound quality is terrible, so you'll have to make do with a couple of photos instead.

True IMOC'er through and through :lol:

Air filter will be moved out towards the vent, but I didn't have a pipe for it at the time.
Took her out for a little drive, nothing demanding, just a nice cruise to make sure everything was running ok. Glad to say, all seems well, sounds good, drives well and no leaks anywhere :D
Gave it a little blatt of boost, screamer pipe sounds insane! I can see that being a very addictive noise :twisted:
Very happy with my handy work :mrgreen:
First real test will be taking her to Japfest this weekend.
Then mapping the weekend after. Really looking forward to seeing what she'll make this time round :mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice work!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Fantastic man!

Also looking forward to your results! Are you going to the same place as last time for mapping?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Looks great Josh, what power you hoping for ?

Job well done :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers lads :mrgreen:

Yep, going back up to DynaTune in East Kilbride for mapping. With the smaller exhaust housing, the turbo is capable of around 420bhp, so if I get somewhere near that, I'll be happy. More interested in earlier spool up than chasing power though tbh. Intercooler won't be able to handle much more power anyway.

JD

Post by JD »

So many shiny new parts. Random question: are you gonna get a turbo blanket?
JLW

Post by JLW »

Really looking forward to seeing the map results, also extremely jealous of your old mans car lift !!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

id be interested in how well your diy brace works, if i understood correctly your connecting the front engine mount to the subframe?

chris
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

JD wrote:So many shiny new parts. Random question: are you gonna get a turbo blanket?

I am indeed. Haven't chosen one yet though. Also gonna get the manifold, turbine housing and downpipe ceramic coated at some point.

thomp1983 wrote:id be interested in how well your diy brace works, if i understood correctly your connecting the front engine mount to the subframe?

chris

Chris, here's a photo I've borrowed from an old IMOC thread. Mine's a very similar design to this one.
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Love the progress on this car, you're doing a great job, If you end up anywhere near the 400 bhp you are going to have a blast, brilliant power figure for these cars... :mrgreen:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Good work, I stupidly sold my Vmaxx engine brace a few months back, fuming doesn't cover it ](*,)

Give me a shout when you're up the road and I'll catch up with you at some point :thumleft:
ads

Post by ads »

Hey Josh think I heard and then saw you going thru Pant nr Oswestry last night? I was sitting in the cross guns pub . Think you were the loudest car that passed heard it even with windows shut
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ads wrote:Hey Josh think I heard and then saw you going thru Pant nr Oswestry last night? I was sitting in the cross guns pub . Think you were the loudest car that passed heard it even with windows shut

Around 7:30pm? Probably me mate. I was taking it real easy through there as I wasn't sure if the car behind was an unmarked copper. So that was me driving it quietly! :oops:
When it's on full chat, with the wastegate open, and screamer in full flow, it's insane! Even with the sports cat added in to the main system :lol: Such an addictive noise :twisted:

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Martin F wrote:Love the progress on this car, you're doing a great job, If you end up anywhere near the 400 bhp you are going to have a blast, brilliant power figure for these cars... :mrgreen:

Cheers Martin, appreciate the kind words. I think 400 is plenty to keep it 'sensibly' streetable. Any more than that and I think it would get too laggy.

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Gullzter wrote:Good work, I stupidly sold my Vmaxx engine brace a few months back, fuming doesn't cover it ](*,)

Give me a shout when you're up the road and I'll catch up with you at some point :thumleft:

I've never seen one for sale before and they were silly money to import, so decided to have a go myself. Turned out alright. Maybe not as pretty as some of the others but i'm happy with it :)

I'm planning to get to Dyna Tune around 10am this Saturday and I'll be around all day so pop by whenever mate :thumleft: I think George is planning to come and watch/catch up again too.
Will you be in the new beasty?

ashley

Post by ashley »

Lovely car mate- you've done really well on this one: it's gonna be an animal (well more of one!) once you ditch that side mount and stop relying on water/meth injection...charge cooler required I think :mrgreen:

Seriously though- it goes nice, and it looks pretty damn cool as well :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ashley wrote:Lovely car mate- you've done really well on this one: it's gonna be an animal (well more of one!) once you ditch that side mount and stop relying on water/meth injection...charge cooler required I think :mrgreen:

Seriously though- it goes nice, and it looks pretty damn cool as well :thumleft:

Cheers Ash, much appreciated. That'll be this winters project I think :mrgreen:
Awesome seeing yours in the metal. Given me much to think about :thumleft:

Hopefully muster up the enthusiasm to go through all the photos from the trip this weekend. This thread is due a decent update too. Need to pull my finger out :oops: :lol:

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAAASH wrote:
ashley wrote:Lovely car mate- you've done really well on this one: it's gonna be an animal (well more of one!) once you ditch that side mount and stop relying on water/meth injection...charge cooler required I think :mrgreen:

Cheers Ash, much appreciated. That'll be this winters project I think :mrgreen:
Awesome seeing yours in the metal. Given me much to think about :thumleft:

Hopefully muster up the enthusiasm to go through all the photos from the trip this weekend. This thread is due a decent update too. Need to pull my finger out :oops: :lol:

Agree with Ash, get yourself a decent chargecooler core, I am seeing 25 degrees at 1.95 bar with ambient temps of 19 degrees, I just wish I had discovered how efficient it was years ago because it's safely allowing much more power and boost than I would otherwise have...

You enjoy the Lemans trip much ?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Been waiting patiently for updates :-k How did the mapping go ?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Probably too busy driving it :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”