Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by JAAASH »

Ok, update time.

Been quite busy buying parts over winter. Decided to get cracking on fitting them over the last few weekends.
As you've seen I've bought a new exhaust manifold from Racer X. Probably not entirely necessary for my build but I decided that I'd go for it and get a turbo that will bolt straight to it rather than having to mess about with adaptor blocks, etc.

The turbo I've bought is a Garrett GTX2867R. I went for the Tial exhaust housing with the .63 A/R - The smaller of the two options to aid a super quick spool up.
I doubt I'll see much of a power increase over the previous 322bhp (at the hubs) last time I had it mapped, but that isn't really what I'm after. Peak boost was around 4.2k rpm so I'm trying to reduce this as much as possible. Hoping for somewhere close 3.6k, which should be an absolute blast!
I also had Owen Developments fit the M-Spec upgrades to the turbo, to further increase it's efficiency and longevity.

This set-up also allows me to switch to an external wastegate, meaning I should hopefully eliminate my previous boost creep issues once remapped. Decided to go with a Tial MV-S 38mm wastegate.

Manifold and Turbo were test fitted and oil and coolant lines were made up to suit. This involved quite a lot of trial an error with some of the fittings but I got there in the end. All lines are now complete using Torques fittings and firesleeve. No photos of the finished lines yet but I'll add some later on.

Here's a couple of snaps of the test fitting, part way through making the lines

Also notice the new coolant filler neck in the 2nd photo. I bought that, along with a coolant hardline delete hose from TCS motorsports over in America. All in aid of tidying the engine bay up a little. Still a ways to go with that but it's slowly getting less cluttered.

Next up is having a new downpipe, intercooler hot pipe and screamer made up. Found a lad reasonably local to me, who's work looks stunning so he's taking care of all that for me.
He's going to pretty much remake my whole exhaust system, except for the KO racing back box. Replacing all flanges with V-bands, fitting a 200 cell sports cat, new flexi, and brace. Should look awesome when it's all complete :mrgreen:
Also making an interchangeable screamer setup, where one will be open to atmosphere and one will route back into the downpipe, for when i'm fed up of being a hooligan :lol:

So the car was trailered up to him yesterday. Easier said than done though.

"Ermm, your car's too low mate" :lol:

Found a few planks of wood to go under the front wheels and we were away 8)

Provisionally planned to pick it up next Friday. I'll then be able to final fit everything.
Also, almost forgot, I've had to relocate the oil filter and lose the oem oil cooler as the manifold fouls in that area. More on that in the next update though as it's not complete yet.

Only other change is a new steering wheel. Nardi, deep corn, perforated leather, 330mm. Obviously haven't been able to use it yet, but it looks and feels quite nice

More next week, hopefully :mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
2mad

Post by 2mad »

B1tch1n ride =P~
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

looking really good mate, good choice on the steering wheel too, I've got the same one and it feels awesome to hold

what are you going to do about an oil cooler then? I'm probably going to be fitting a mocal cooler and thermostat sandwich plate to mine, in the same place as the (now obsolete) grex/trust kits that bolt to the gearbox
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers. Looking forward to trying out the new wheel...oh and the turbo :lol:

For the time being, I'm going to see how it goes without running a cooler at all. Previous oil temps seem to stay between 100-105 degrees so I can afford for it to run a little higher without worry. I'll just keep an eye on it and if it does run too hot I'll have to get a cooler.

ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice turbo.....nice manifold!!

:thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ashley wrote:Nice turbo.....nice manifold!!

:thumleft:

:mrgreen:

Popped in to see my fabricator today. He's pretty much finished the exhaust and it's real nice. No photo's yet but I'm mega happy with how it's turning out. He reckons he'll have the screamer and intercooler pipework finished tomorrow/thursday at the latest. I'll get it trailered home Friday and finish connecting up the turbo and relocated oil filter.

Probably gonna have a new rad, fans and hoses to fit too, just to future proof it as it's still all the original 20 year old cooling system.
As long as all that goes to plan, I may be able to fire her up late Sunday.

Mapping also provisionally booked for the first weekend in May too \:D/

craig

Post by craig »

Car's looking smart mate. :thumleft:

For your rad fan requirements, have a word with Pete.G. He got me a couple of these monsters (Fan on the left):

(Pic is simply a comparison shot of the SPAL fan vs ebay fan.)

They're 11" SPAL fans, and they certainly shift some air - 3 times more than the ebay fans! I also purchased a new Toyota radiator, and had manual override of rad fans installed. :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Craig 8)

What fan shroud are you using there?
And do you know how much air those spal fans move and how much they cost?
The Mishimoto spal fans i'm looking at are 12" and provide 1150 cfm of airflow.

I'll also be getting a new Mishimoto rad to match and fitting an override switch like Pete has done to yours :thumleft:

craig

Post by craig »

JAAASH wrote:Cheers Craig 8)

What fan shroud are you using there?
And do you know how much air those spal fans move and how much they cost?
The Mishimoto spal fans i'm looking at are 12" and provide 1150 cfm of airflow.

I'll also be getting a new Mishimoto rad to match and fitting an override switch like Pete has done to yours :thumleft:

No problem mate.

I had an eBay radiator, fan and shroud kit. I swapped the radiator out for an new oem Toyota item. Swapped the eBay fans for the spal fans, and mounted them to the shroud that the eBay fans came with.

The spal fans on my car are 1350cfm each. The eBay fans that came off the car are cheap and rated at 400cfm :shock:

The spal fans were £125+vat each.

The Mishimoto radiator is a quality piece of kit, and the override switch is a pretty cool feature. :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

craig wrote:The spal fans on my car are 1350cfm each. The eBay fans that came off the car are cheap and rated at 400cfm :shock:

The spal fans were £125+vat each.

The Mishimoto radiator is a quality piece of kit, and the override switch is a pretty cool feature. :thumleft:

Decided to get the Mishimoto fans in the end. Slightly less cfm than yours but at less than half the price (and hassle) it was a no brainer for me at the moment.

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Little update from today. Positive start to the weekend. All the exhaust and intercooler pipework has been completed and the car was trailered back home this afternoon :mrgreen:

Most will have already seen all this on facebook but I like to keep this up to date.
Awesome workmanship on everything Nikky's done. I'll definitely be using him again for any other future welding needs.

8)

Loading her up...

Sat in slow/stopped traffic on the way home, couldn't help myself. Cool seeing how many heads it turns too :twisted:

Got her home and back under cover, ready for work to continue Saturday morning.

Got in the house and had this lovely lot waiting for me, along with fresh oil and Toyota Forlife coolant. Bring it on!
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Some amazing work there.. Looking forward to seeing it again soon :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

OMG buddy :D ... that is phenomenal =P~ =P~ =P~
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers lads :mrgreen:

Little bit of progress from the weekend.
Saturday, the weather tried it's best to keep me and the old man off our cars. Cleared up later in the day though, so managed to get a couple of odd jobs done.

New ignitor and coilpack, just because they haven't been changed in my 4 years of ownership so I had no idea how old they were.

Finished picture of my turbo oil feed/return and coolant feed/return lines. All firesleeved as they're pretty close to the manifold

Sunday, the weather was nicer to us and I managed to get a bit more done.

Decided to give myself a break from the engine bay work and started with the radiator change.
Drained all the remaining coolant. Out with the old...

And in with the new :mrgreen:

I bought the mishimoto coolant hoses to replace the tired oem rubber hoses, so went about getting those fitted too.
I'd also recently bought a coolant hose from TCS motorsports to delete the coolant loop and hardline, just to tidy up the engine bay a little. This however made two of my nice new silicone hoses obsolete. The TCS bypass hose isn't actually custom made or designed for an mr2, it's just been taken from another car and is a bit of a bodge as the diameter of the hose is too big for the coolant neck (I didn't realise this when I ordered it).
Still on my mission to delete this hardpipe, I managed to use the two new mishimoto hoses to mimic the route of the TCS hose.

New vs Old

Positioned to mimic tcs hose

The smaller one just needed a little chopped off, and then the two can be joined with an alloy joiner. You can also see where I've mounted my new oil filter head in the picture above.

Happy that I've managed to use the new hoses and create a much nicer solution than that crappy TCS hose :lol:

Made up my oil lines for the relocated filter too. Still waiting on a couple of parts to arrive so didn't get much else done. Should all be here by the weekend, so I'll be able to finally bolt everything up, replace all fluids and start her up :twisted: :twisted:

Little picture of the exhaust fitted, just because I like it :mrgreen:

Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Good.work mate....

The old rad didn't look that bad compared to my old one lol
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Cheers Mark.
There was nothing wrong with it tbh, still perfectly usable. I just decided that with the Le Mans trip coming up, I'd be happier knowing it won't be a weak point in the system.

ads

Post by ads »

Looking good Josh. Dot in distance springs to mind. We'll catch up eventually .. will try and get guys to do a friday run
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

\:D/

She runs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate. Fabrication looks :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ads wrote:Looking good Josh. Dot in distance springs to mind. We'll catch up eventually .. will try and get guys to do a friday run

Definitely. Once it mapped, I'll be after any sort of excuse to go out for a good blast!

craig wrote:Good stuff mate. Fabrication looks :thumleft:

Cheers mate. Fab work is spot on, so happy with it all.

Return to “Member Profiles”