Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Re: Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Post by JD »

Steering wheel on the wrong side, window switches in the wrong place: this feels like something from a nightmare :shaking:

It looks awesome and I feel for you because this has dragged out for a while now and I was waiting to see a video of this thing going balls deep on some time attack course by now, lol.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

You will see, sooner or later, but you will see a video :D

First event is planned at July 12. Not a time attack, but it should be fun.

By the way, just noticed a great thing that was never before! Probably lots of MR2s have problems with a handbrake. Yesterday I tried to pull a handbrake while going straight and guess what, wheels have blocked! It was never working like that before :)
Here is what I did: The metal center holder that fits under the car, it was sand blasted, painted and spayed with a chain oil or something. It did amazing thing. Handbrake is very easy to pull now and it's working perfectly.

Here you can see these parts:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I am starting to think that my car will never be finished. Now I found out that timing belt is fitted incorrectly, so the car will be taken to a mechanic again at the weekend.

And I hate driving it in a city! The only three times when my car was damaged, it was when I was not driving.
Yesterday it was damaged in a parking lot. Schratched spoiler and bumper and also the lid is not opening normally now, the lock was bent.
Last edited by GreddyMR2 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Just redo the belt yourself- 20 minute job I reckon to adjust the belt :thumleft:

Oh- and I would remove the final comment about your plans with insurance- not clever to brag about in public (where your insurance company may see) :lol:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

i'm not sure if I will manage it in 20mins... But maybe I will try with my dad's help.

I don't think they will check foreign forums to find out more about my car, but yea, good suggestion :D
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Finally! First event after one year brake.

So the day started at a wet rainy morning. On a road to event I hitted fuel cut, so lowered boost a little. Hoped this will be fine. Unfortunately after test run on track I hitted fuel cut again. Lowered boost a bit more.
First run in RWD class - everything seemed fine, just on a finish straight fuel cut hitted again. Lowered boost a lot then...
Second run in RWD class - car runs like s**t. No power, bad boost, looks like a boost leak. Moreover, I went too fast in one corner and missed the gates (it was autocrossing), so my time was not counted. And the problem was with a crappy MBC. I unscrewed it too much and it started to leak.
Third run in RWD class - tightened MBC little bit and all went fine. Lost a bit of time at start as I made childish mistake, I didn't straighted my wheel at start and the car almost hitted time measurement system, but after that all was good.
All in all, my times were second in class I think, but another guy hitted cone in two of his runs and so I won!

Next - Open class.
Finally sun started to shine and the track dried. I started to feel more confident with my car. At the brake between runs I adjusted MBC to around 0.8bar and disconected hose from MAP sensor just to avoid fuel cut.
So first run - all was just perfect untill I saw yellow flag. Yes, somebody bofore me hitted a cone and track referee didn't fix it by the time I came. So, maybe it's good - it was like one more training lap for me :)
First normal run - all great, car runs perfect (anyway I want turbo to spool faster and the response of a car is not what I expect with CT20 turbo) and yes, I have a track record! The second guy was around 2s behind me. I felt more confidence.
Second run - again everything's great, unfortunately I hitted one cone with my rear wheel, so I got a penalty of 5s. Nothing to worry about as for final result counts only two best runs of three, so I still have a final run which I need to do without penalties.
Third run - a bit nervous as the pressure is high, but managed to do it without any mistakes and improved my time a bit more!

And as a result, I won the first place overall. The second guy was with a CRX and the third with MX5. I won at quit a big difference - around 5s, as the second guy hitted cone in two of his runs. If he was clean, the gap between us would be very small. I'm so happy with my first start after a long brake. I just want now my car to run better. I need it to get dynoed and adjusted to get the most of it.

And some pics from event:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Nice Job :thumleft:

Is your ct20 a hybrid?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Race Idiot wrote:Nice Job :thumleft:

Is your ct20 a hybrid?

Yes, it's a hybrid (bigger cold side impeller). Do you think it might be the reason of bad response?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Small update.
Got the G-meter from a friend and played a bit today.
Firstly, my car is hesitating a bit on 4-5k revs. I've changed dizzy cap and rotor arm maybe 2 years ago, so probably need to change them again.

I have CT20 boosting at around 0.85bar and did some runs.
The best I've managed 0-60 in 5.6s and 1/4 mile in 13.73. Also it showed 253hp. Is it good having in mind that car is hesitating? I would like to see 5s when solve the hesitation and get boost to around 1.1bar.

Another thing, I probably have a bearing knocking... ](*,) After a heavy run the sound of bearing appeared, so I will take them off tomorrow and see what is really happening. I hope it's only bearing and the rod or crank is not damaged.
I have Clevite bearings now and will be changing them to ACL race, if they are damaged.
P.S. I changed the oil yeaterday from 10w40 semi-synth to 10w-60 synth. Could this thinned oil cause the bearing failure?

Also, fitted side ducts to have some more air for the engine :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Bad news, my bearings are dead and will need to be changed. Also, the crank is a bit damaged. So I will have to take the engine out again...

I will get the crank polished and measured and will fit new bearings in standard size, so the crearance is a bit bigger. I used Clevite bearings and now will try King race bearings as I read some bad reviews about ACL.

I will do it myself this time, will use platigauge to measure all the clearances so I hope it will last longer :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Long time no post :)

Moving forward little by little. First time in my life assembling engine myself. Hopefully I will do it right. :)

Fitted grinded crankshaft, engine bearings and new oil pump.
Measured all bearings with plastigauge and difference no more than 0.01mm.

To be exact, clearances are these.
Main bearings:
1. 0.063mm
2. 0.076mm
3. 0.063mm
4. 0.063mm
5. 0.063mm
Con rod bearing:
1. 0.04mm
2. 0.05mm
3. 0.05mm
4. 0.055mm

This time I fitted King racing bearing.

GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Some small progress today :)
Fitted turbo and cambelt. Also cleaned a sump as it was full of metal particles and did some other small things.

Oh, and Christmas in my house already! :D
Just received a new Adaptronic plug n play ecu. Finally I will be able to manage more than only boost and hopefully will have more reliability.

Together with ecu I received IAT sensor and boost solenoid. Finally will be able to remove the AFM and have electronic boost control.

Impatiently waiting to connect this thing and see how it works!

It's probably not so popular ecu in the EU, but from all descriptions it looks like it's a great unit. Here is some information about it: http://www.mr2performance.eu/32-engine-management
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

She's running again and back at home! :)

I also connected Adaptronic ECU and looks like it's working great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Var7xS7csyI
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Almost prepared for a season. Still needs mapping and some other little things. But basically it's done :)

Oh and before going to a track I need to sort the sump. The new baffled sump is too expensive for me, so will probably modify the stock sump by adding some baffles.

GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Small update to the wheels. I decided to do them in dark grey metallic.

GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Painted wheels and spoiler stands :)

monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Great read!

I've just realised you're the guy that came to pick up my old 3S-GTE engine back in 2013. Is this the engine you're now using, or did you use it for parts or something?

Cheers

Nick
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

monkeyra wrote:Great read!

I've just realised you're the guy that came to pick up my old 3S-GTE engine back in 2013. Is this the engine you're now using, or did you use it for parts or something?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

oh right, I was the same guy :) Yes, I am using the engine I bought from you, just fitted Wiseco pistons changed bearings etc. Hopefully it will run strong and long :thumleft:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Good stuff. I hope it stays good for you, never had an issue with that engine. My 2GR-FE swap is very nearly complete as well, engine is in and running, just prepping it to pass the mandatory MOT we have in the UK, then mine is track ready as well!
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Some new toys for my race car. RRS suede steering wheel, FIA master switch and start button.
I guess the most difficult part will be with a master switch...

Return to “Member Profiles”