Goldy's MK2 Flappy Paddle Gearbox Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

reddev1ll09

Re: Goldy's MK2 Flappy Paddle Gearbox Build

Post by reddev1ll09 »

Looking good Goldy :clap:
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Goldy, good to see you're still about and still tinkering! Watching with interest!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Cheers for the comments chaps....

I'm within days now of getting a road test video (famous last words) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Fitted the resistors to the switches and wired them to the horn wiring. I've use 310ohm and 500ohm resistors for up shift and down shift respectivly. These reduce the voltage to get two distinct levels but don't pass enough current to sound the horn. I've Teed into the horn wiring and run a wire to the flappy box. I'm just fiddling the software to get it working now. Currently down shift works fine but up shift is a bit hit and miss.... I think it may be the switch itself. More road testing and hopefully a video soon!!!!
Goldy

Flappy paddle test drive video

Post by Goldy »

I've finally got a test drive video together. Thanks to Adam for filming this at JAE and editing it.... I don't think i'm really cut out for TV apearances though :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5ZoYZe5CA
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

All you need now is some sorta gear indicator... I'm sure you'll knock that up in a jiffy
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

that is truely awesome!!! top work dude :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumleft:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

That...... is the most epic mod EVER. :shock:
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

SwissHeavy wrote:All you need now is some sorta gear indicator... I'm sure you'll knock that up in a jiffy

The plan is to add a rotary switch A-La ferrari style to switch between flaps off, road and race modes and to add a little 7 segment display to tell you what gear you're in. I've ordered the parts but it needs some major mods to my hardware to get it working......

Cheers for the kind comments chaps :mrgreen:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

awesome project.
the avensis auto has flappy paddles, just in case you decide to change the wheel
james13009

Post by james13009 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm not sure if it's of any interest any more, but I found another Toyota steering wheel with shift buttons (i.e. not paddles). MK2 Aristo has a similar setup to the VVTi Supra:

IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

toxo wrote:I'm not sure if it's of any interest any more, but I found another Toyota steering wheel with shift buttons (i.e. not paddles). MK2 Aristo has a similar setup to the VVTi Supra:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... C_0065.jpg

That's great info matey :thumleft: , i've been looking for toyota wheels with buttons / flaps on ebay but I haven't seen anything come up yet, that'll be another one to add into the search!
craig

Post by craig »

Excellent work mate! :clap: :clap:

Post by 37831999 »

Hi mate just read the thread and this is great! Didn't know stuff like this could be done! Makes my wanna change mine to an auto now lol
Great work! Love it!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Cheers for the comments chaps

Putting a kit together for a 1MZ V6 MR2 auto shortly..... details to follow.... :-$
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

that is awesome. how strong is the auto box ? I'm sure a lot of drag cars would be interested ;>
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

cvega666 wrote:how strong is the auto box ?

Not very, IIRC :wink:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

toxo wrote:
cvega666 wrote:how strong is the auto box ?

Not very, IIRC :wink:

The MR2 one is not so tough, though the camry ones are a lot beefier.... the 1MZ V6 MR2 has a camry box fitted 8)

I read a while back about a company in the states that can upgrade the MK2 auto box which significantly increases the torque rating, if I find the link i'll post it up.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Goldy wrote:I read a while back about a company in the states that can upgrade the MK2 auto box which significantly increases the torque rating, if I find the link i'll post it up.

I've certainly seen guys in the states doing this to the A series transmissions - I would've thought there would be someone somewhere doing it for the E series as well!
Goldy

Steering wheel change

Post by Goldy »

So for a while now i've been looking for an aftermarket steering wheel option to work with the flappy paddle box, and I found a steering wheel with buttons, the only problem was it didn't have a horn push as I would be using the two buttons to change gear.

So....

Take one of these:

One of these:

This is where things started to get scary!!!!

And real scary!

Finally the finished item.... looks pretty good to me for a first attempt!

Out with the old:

Chopped the wiring to add in two resistors... choc block is optional so I can change the wiring around easily.... which came in useful as i've wired the buttons up the wrong way round (shift up is on the left hand side [doh!])

And finally the finished article.

Road test is good apart from the boss is pretty crappy and catches on the steering wheel cowing and I wired the buttons the wrong way round but I quite like it with downshift on the right hand side!

Return to “Member Profiles”