caution, your Mr2 WILL catch you out and try to kill you then eat you :)

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

caution, your Mr2 WILL catch you out and try to kill you then eat you :)

Post by Ryan S »

ah well, it had to happen sooner or later, was pretty cold up here (Dundee) this morning, the roads were mostly dry but still patchy, they had been gritted too, anyway, 9 years of Mr2 ownership and i've never really lost the back end, until today that is, coming round a roundabout, was doing maybe 35-40 (in a 50 zone) and the rear just slid out, never spun or anything like that just got a wee drift on, had there been another car near me it could have easily been an accident. you'd think your instinct would be to lift off and brake etc but i just eased off the power without panicking and the car straightened up, thankfully not much drama :thumleft: :thumleft:

i have just changed from total budget nonsense tyres (called autogrip i believe) to michelin primacy tyres, i swear the budgets have twice the grip!!!! i'll never look at budget tyres the same way again!!!

soooo, you have been warned!! 9 years I've driven mr2s, beware!!!!

:lol: :lol:
rev3turbo

Re: caution, your Mr2 WILL catch you out and try to kill you then eat you :)

Post by rev3turbo »

9 years to get the back end out? :mrgreen: you dont know what you've been missing :lol: ... well you do now, kind of lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rev3turbo wrote:9 years to get the back end out? :mrgreen: you dont know what you've been missing :lol: ... well you do now, kind of lol

haha, no no no, i've had the back end out plenty, i've just never had it catch me out on a public road, i was in low boost too!!! :)

also, Mods, why is this a "poll"??? i didn't want that :lol: :lol:
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

you've now redeemed yourself :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rev3turbo wrote:you've now redeemed yourself :lol:

i'm almost sure i hit a patch of ice, i was barely on boost (my low setting is 7psi max), it's also a bit of road i drive everyday :shock:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

primacy tyres are eco tyres ( i have them on the prius and they are cack) they were also fitted to the GT-86 and thats why they are tail happy. good for economy but not grip :)
ive had the tail wiggling loads in my 2 but as long as you keep calm like you did itll normally come back, it when you panic and lift off completely or worse still brake that it all goes pearshaped
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

dawesy wrote:primacy tyres are eco tyres ( i have them on the prius and they are cack) they were also fitted to the GT-86 and thats why they are tail happy. good for economy but not grip :)
ive had the tail wiggling loads in my 2 but as long as you keep calm like you did itll normally come back, it when you panic and lift off completely or worse still brake that it all goes pearshaped

yeah they are rotten, i still reckon i hit a wee patch of frost/ice though. the autogrip tyres on the last set of wheels were better, even better than my old falken fk452s in fact :-k
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

sheppy wrote:also, Mods, why is this a "poll"??? i didn't want that :lol: :lol:

I voted stupid :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

as did I :D
JD

Post by JD »

That is definitely a brave choice of tyre. Good on you though, another anecdote against the urban legend of terrifying handling. At least no-one pulled out in front of on said roundabout leaving no option but to brake and clench :lol:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

brand new tyres have naff all grip from new anyway so until you scrub off the mould release you won't have much grip at all.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

JD wrote:That is definitely a brave choice of tyre. Good on you though, another anecdote against the urban legend of terrifying handling. At least no-one pulled out in front of on said roundabout leaving no option but to brake and clench :lol:

yeah i'll be changing them soon, still amazed at the autogrip tryes that were on my old wheels though, super soft compound and masses of grip, they were on my old subaru (4 wheels drive so i only ever put ditchfinders on) and i expected them to be rubbish on the mr2. they were fantastic in both wet and dry conditions :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

To be fair, you can't really expect Primacys to have good grip if the temperatures are low.

They are rated Traction A rather than the AA of premium sports tyres. I like them in warmer conditions, lots of fun, though I do slide my car around a fair bit.

Bonus is they'll last ages. Had 14K out of my rears and that included a lot of drifting at two trackdays and a sprint! Fronts managed 25K and still have a mm on them.

I've been on winter tyres since November. When it's >5C they're great, but hopeless when the temperatures reach double figures.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I had my tubby about 2 weeks and it caught me out.

Came off a roundabout around 20-25mph through a tight left bend onto a dual carriage way and it was terrible conditions, literally p1$$ing it down. The corner onto the dually was blind due to a wall on the left and as I came round there was a lovely patch of standing water waiting for me mid corner. I thought hmm this isnt good and was ready for the back to come out but jesus it came out so quick I ended up properly sideways I could see the wall on the left, luckily the dually had wide lanes and no cars along side as Id say I probably crossed lanes but kept the power down slightly, over corrected first time but then got it straightened up. It was very strange as even though the mr2 is my first rwd experience when I lost control I didnt panic and once I had straightened the car up ill be honest about 30 seconds later my heart was pounding like mad.

I felt so bad though as my girlfriend was in the car and I'm always extra careful when she is with me. Even though this was an accident she did get a fright and I felt terrible as obviously I dont want her experiencing anything like that, the car just caught me out due to the conditions and lack of experience I guess because I certainly didnt feel I was going to fast for the conditions. I do however have a new respect for the car now definitely.

I got pretty lucky.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

it's terrifying eh :) mine was very little drama, the primacys are deffo coming off, they were on a set of wheels i bought and are pretty much brand new. they're not even cheap so why a person would put these on is completely beyond me :-k
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Yeh it was an experience alright, just glad I saved it.

Mine has some Potenzas but they look about 10 years old haha and probably are because the previous owner rarely drove the car and it just sat in a garage. Ive got new wheels now so have a chance to put on some very sticky tyres :D
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

WilkieGT wrote:Yeh it was an experience alright, just glad I saved it.

Mine has some Potenzas but they look about 10 years old haha and probably are because the previous owner rarely drove the car and it just sat in a garage. Ive got new wheels now so have a chance to put on some very sticky tyres :D

i have proper road legal slicks on the bike, when they are up to temperature it's like driving on glue :D
Draven

Post by Draven »

I came off a roundabout just gave it a little too much beans lost the back end managed to correct hit a big puddle of standing water lost it the other way. did a full 180 onto the central reservation damaged 2 wheels and thats about it..

I was very lucky.. got new wheels and switched the Khumo ditch finders for AD08 and i'm doing a full suspension and other parts refresh.

I completely pee'd myself. I have such respect for the MR2 in the wet. So much so that now I rarely drive it in the wet.

:thumleft:
samgpr50

Post by samgpr50 »

I was gutted when I saw this at first as I though you had damaged your car. Glad it is ok I still kick myself for not buying this one when I had the chance!
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Yeh they definitely demand respect, especially in the wet. Personally it im not put off by it, I love it as it almost feels like a driving exercise every time you are in the car and if you are not on the ball you can be easily caught out!

Draven how do you find the AD08? these are the exact tyres I'm looking at. The two things in particular that I wonder about these tyres are

How are they in the wet? as the tread doesn't look the best for expelling water..however statistically they are meant to be good??

Also how much grip do they offer when cold? As I understand they are a road tyre but does look more like a hybrid of a road/track tyre.

I have read they are however phenomenal in the dry :D
Black 94' GT-S Turbo

Return to “Driving Experiences”