Japfest pic and comments

At its new home of the 'Home' of British Motorsport, Japfest 2016 is at Silverstone! Camping available too!
See inside for details.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Japfest pic and comments

Post by Scott Barton »

Cracking day, albeit a tad chilly, at Silverstone for Japfest 2016. Much much better than Castle Combe in my opinion, hardly any queues to get in (although i did get there just after 9am), nice hard standing for parking, spread out, good track action, and good facilities served up by Silverstone.
A few pics of the day....
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
SonicSW20

Re: Japfest pic and comments

Post by SonicSW20 »

Had fun on track, other than the odd have a go hero (200SX doing a terrible skid and the Civic towards the end)... Too busy on track as well for me. It's frustrating in an NA when you know you can go round a corner faster, but you don't have enough power to get past on the straights (overtaking under braking / in a corner is a big no on a track day).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33m5KYljIQ
JLW

Post by JLW »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Had fun on track, other than the odd have a go hero (200SX doing a terrible skid and the Civic towards the end)... Too busy on track as well for me. It's frustrating in an NA when you know you can go round a corner faster, but you don't have enough power to get past on the straights (overtaking under braking / in a corner is a big no on a track day).

Mate great video, I knew you were faster behind me around the corners, but obviously the turbo has the pull on the straights. loved my first time out on track in a car. And feel its really showed me how the MR2 chassis handles as I'm pretty new to these. Suffered with HORRIBLE brake faded from about 3 laps in. That will be rectified before the next track session !!
JLW

Post by JLW »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Had fun on track, other than the odd have a go hero (200SX doing a terrible skid and the Civic towards the end)... Too busy on track as well for me. It's frustrating in an NA when you know you can go round a corner faster, but you don't have enough power to get past on the straights (overtaking under braking / in a corner is a big no on a track day).

Mate great video, I knew you were faster behind me around the corners, but obviously the turbo has the pull on the straights. loved my first time out on track in a car. And feel its really showed me how the MR2 chassis handles as I'm pretty new to these. Suffered with HORRIBLE brake faded from about 3 laps in. That will be rectified before the next track session !!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't want to push you, it's only a track day session, not the place for it! I did have a look at the end of the pit straight one on lap, but it would have been too close to the braking zone for comfort.

We did some MR2OC exclusive sessions (2 x 30 minute ones) at Silverstone in Early March, that was a lot better because there was only ~20 cars on track at once, and it was only us. Everyone knew each other, and everyone followed the rules.

If we can get enough confirmed attendees, we can book a track for the day on an open pitlane day. Someone on MR2OC has looked into this for Brands Hatch. It's not cheap, but the cost is fixed so the per person cost drops depending on how many people attend. As a ball park, we would be looking at around £200 per person for exclusive use of the pits / track / paddock working on 25 attendees as a base.

It's a lot, but as a one off thing I think it's totally worth it.
JLW

Post by JLW »

I also realised last night lying in bed that I should have adjusted my coilovers
( Meister R zeta R's ) , they are fully adjustable and currently sat at 23 out of 32 clicks so pretty soft for our british roads !

Could have easily gone down to around 7 for track, it would definitely have helped I think.

I need to spend money on better brakes before another T day but i would be well up for doing one at Brands,
I set some fast times around it on my GSXR so would love to see what its like in the MR2.
Image :D
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Some photos:

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Great photos as usual Gaz :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
VenX

Post by VenX »

Great photos. Really good day. Bloody freezing tho lol. Hopefully it will be in May again next year.

Japfest website has just added photos from the day. Couple of 2s on the track. Nice pics :thumleft:

http://ow.ly/4nbB5m
EvilPanda

Post by EvilPanda »

i will need to do some training before next japfest :) will be my first track experience in last 6 years :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

The Black Rev 3 turbo - M103 XKU , does this belong to an IMOC member? is there a build thread anywhere? I really like the look of it
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

C35Rob wrote:The Black Rev 3 turbo - M103 XKU , does this belong to an IMOC member? is there a build thread anywhere? I really like the look of it

GTMatt :thumleft:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=179080
Hasn't been updated for a while though.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
craig

Post by craig »

Done the rounds! I believe this originally belonged to rob brookes - nitric4k, then GTSAaron, then GTMatt. Looks great though. :thumleft:

Return to “Japfest 2016”