2GR options for 400-500bhp

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

2GR options for 400-500bhp

Post by Ryan S »

As in title. Me and a friend are actually both looking to do this. We'd like to go down the supercharged route but the costs involved are on par with a decent turbo set up!

Is there a supercharger for under £4k that could do around 400 at the wheels? What kind of boost can a 2GR take, I've beard rods and pistons are the weak point. Are there off the shelf turbo kits available etc etc? It's something I've never been interested in until now so i'm starting on the bottom rung with it all. All input welcome!!
fastasfkk

2gr

Post by fastasfkk »

isnt that whats in the evora supercharged ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: 2GR options for 400-500bhp

Post by Ryan S »

It is. From what i can find the supercharger required is £5300. Could make a nice turbo kit for less. In fact, Exhaust and inlet manifold off the shelf is £1930. And I already have a turbo. So quite a bit cheaper.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Have a chat with these guys, they're actually really helpful once you get talking:

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... gineparts/

Mainly focused on big NA builds, but they do boost too...if you want to go big consider sleeves :thumleft:

Alex has also shared some good info here:

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/2gr-power-gains
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers Ashley. Not after crazy power. Probably just 400 at the wheels again but with a big motor making it effortlessly rather than pushing a small motor. After some research yesterday the 2gr can do 490bhp on stock pistons at 7psi however having stock pistons near their limits would always be at the back of my mind so I think changing the pistons and rods would be the minimum i'd want to do.
fastasfkk

2gr

Post by fastasfkk »

is that 490bhp us or uk lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

Personally I've seen the 2GR turbo'd, running ~500hp (UK flywheel) on stock internals, with dubious intercooling. It ran hot, but well....don't know how long it lasted!

Personally I'd do pistons (to drop CR) and rods if boosting, but the real appeal of that engine is running it stock with nice torque, and throwing it away when it goes bang.

Not many folk have gone down the big build route on them, so you are in the horrible position of doing the R&D yourself, which generally means expensive failures!!

I discounted it, and decided to look at Nissan v6's instead...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it is a bit of an unknown quantity, I'll deffo be doing pistons and rods, I believe the head bolts need done on them too. I will say this...My turbo blows out fairly cool air under 21ps. I've seen a mk3 turbo 2gr doing 680bhp at 15psi so I am hoping that the turbo won't be too much of an issue regarding heat. On my current build it's never been too bad so fingers crossed running just 10psi or so the turbo is doing next to no work. I will have my enormous chargecooler as well. I guess we'll just have to see. I'll be starting to collect parts soon for it (as well as repairing my knackered 3sgte). Looking forward to it!!

Funny you mention nissan v6. A VG30TT would be great to just drop in.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm building a boosted VQ35 (3.8l, carillo rods, cp pistons, stock crank, darton sleeves, heads fully built o/s valves, cams, porting etc) that I'm mating to a Cayman box, and mounting longitudinally in a two....early days, but we love a long term project :eye:
ashley

Post by ashley »

...and still rebuilding my 5SGT for my existing car!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Can't even begin to wrap my head around that! Sounds cool though!

Just been chatting with my mate again about this 2gr stuff today. So there's a supercharger kit for the evora that runs 460bhp without issue so i'm almost tempted to just run the motor stock. The Evora has the same CR etc. The only thing swaying me to forge it is that if I don't and I wreck the motor i'll really kick myself however it does seem like this motor can take some boost no problem. From what I've read the stock ecu (from the lexus) had parameters for 5.6lbs of positive pressure!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Had some time to scour for info today. Managed to find a BONE STOCK 2gr turbo running 22psi and making 740bhp!! The guys run it for 4 months at 640bhp (not sure how much boost) with no issue whatsoever. Unopened engine from the junkyard is how he described it. So certainly something to think about.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Ryan S wrote:Had some time to scour for info today. Managed to find a BONE STOCK 2gr turbo running 22psi and making 740bhp!! The guys run it for 4 months at 640bhp (not sure how much boost) with no issue whatsoever. Unopened engine from the junkyard is how he described it. So certainly something to think about.

sounds like yank dynojet numbers, with the added facebook multiplier...

do you really want a 2gr though? if you're going forced induction straight away have you considered one of the older iron block V6 engines? i.e the 3VZ

I can't remember where I've seen it before but there are pics out there somewhere of the internals of the v6 engines side by side and the VZ rods are huge, and the crank is forged stock too. basically.. unless you want to build the bottom end to start with - sleeves, rods, pistons.. (ignore american internet anecdotes about running hypercar power on lightweight stock internals made for a high compression, high revving NA engine) then swallow the weight penalty of the stronger iron block and start with that
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I've not really considered any other v6 no. The evora s runs 420bhp on the 2GR with the exact same internals as the lexus version. I'm only after 400 at the wheels but admittedly i'd probably be happy enough with 420 at the flywheel. My low boost setting just now is 330@ the wheels and that's more than enough for me. Numbers aside the car I seen was/is running 22psi on a completely unopened engine so whether the figures are exaggerated or not is besides the point. I am confident the one I seen was well over 400bhp. As for other V6s...Is there one that could make 400-500bhp without having to change pistons? If so then i'd be all for it, If i'm having to go down the forged route i'd still rather go with a 2gr. It's set up for coil on plug and drive by wire right out the box.

https://drivetribe.com/p/terrible-engin ... e8mqWEiGHQ

First thing that came up when I googled 3vz, Will deffo be giving this a wide berth haha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Spoke to a friend about the 3vz. Single overhead cam? It baffles me you've even mentioned this Rob. You know your stuff. 2GR has VVTi etc. Absolutely no comparison between these two whatsoever. As I previously mentioned as well the 2GR known to make a reliable 420bhp with forced induction in the Lotus Evora S with none of the internals changed whatsoever. Same compression ratio as the lexus as well. The 3vz known to have a plethora of issues in stock form!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... bfc7b05240

remember this thread? the 3vzfe is a quad cam 24v, ally heads, iron block, forged crank, beefy rods stock, ideal for boost. the drivetribe thing is a totally different beast.

saying that I've owned neither 2gr or 3vz so I'm not really au fait with their inherent issues.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

I have the 3vz in mine and love it :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I must be getting mixed info. From what I've read the 3vz was prone to head gasket issues. I'm set on a 2gr anyway so it's irrelevant :)
jbliss

Post by jbliss »

2GR's are great!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah, Much more modern. Loads of aftermarket support, There's no question i'll be going 2gr. My mate is already well underway with his build! I'm still in the middle of sorting my cracked block on the 3s.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”