Question for the V6 boys

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MRV6

Re: Question for the V6 boys

Post by MRV6 »

Hi Bob, I had a 1mz with a trd supercharger on and was going to invest in some stronger internals etc. When Paul (Woods) was going on about how good these 2gr engines were. My 1mz was producing something like 288 bhp and 260ft/lbs of torque. Anyhow I ended up going for the 2gr and honestly mate if you can afford one get one. With some breathing mods your looking at 325 bhp and bags of low down torque.

If your ever come up to Co. Durham drop me a line and I'll take you out in her.

Big bob

Post by Big bob »

Cheers, will be on the hunt for engine mount, flywheel and loom etc.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I had a dyno run on mine once I put the 6 speed in it. In 4th - it reports around 280bhp, in 3rd, its around the numbers you're seeing (your jpg says 3rd).

For people who understand dynos - why would a different gear used on the dyno produce such different outputs ? (15-20% difference)
Big bob

Post by Big bob »

Cheers MR2 V6. I'll be doing it myself as I have a workshop with a ramp. I anticipate the 1mz vvti would be in the region of £2-3k, whereas the 2gr, £6-7??
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Get yourself over to TwoBrutal. Lots more info on swaps over there, including plenty of homebuilds so they'll be able to help a lot.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I clicked the link and got this :shock: ...

This website has been reported as unsafe
We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:
Malicious software threat:

This site might contain links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

:-k

Webroot software installed (firewall antivirus)

Sorry for the offtopic :whistle:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

MRV6 wrote:Hi Bob, I had a 1mz with a trd supercharger on and was going to invest in some stronger internals etc. When Paul (Woods) was going on about how good these 2gr engines were. My 1mz was producing something like 288 bhp and 260ft/lbs of torque. Anyhow I ended up going for the 2gr and honestly mate if you can afford one get one. With some breathing mods your looking at 325 bhp and bags of low down torque.

Wow thats amazing .. i'd love a shotgun ride :mrgreen:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

2mad wrote:I clicked the link and got this :shock: ...

We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:

This site might contain links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

That's strange :-k I've never had that issue before :-s

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JAAASH wrote:
2mad wrote:I clicked the link and got this :shock: ...

That's strange :-k I've never had that issue before :-s

I know right .. i'll be brave and disregard and enter the site .. got no money in my bank account anyway :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Relax, you're safe on TB, it's as safe as Imoc is.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Fare enough, i'll check it out .. if my bank account gets emptied expect a strongly worded pm Paul :lol: :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I won't reply to it, i'll be out spending your money.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

:shock: Hahahahaha :lol:
Big bob

Post by Big bob »

2 brutal is a great resource for V6s. Thanks everyone
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

gavsdavs wrote:

I had a dyno run on mine once I put the 6 speed in it. In 4th - it reports around 280bhp, in 3rd, its around the numbers you're seeing (your jpg says 3rd).

For people who understand dynos - why would a different gear used on the dyno produce such different outputs ? (15-20% difference)

Hi Gav, how are things mate? Don't know I had the dyno done on the tubby box, I've not had her on the rollers yet with the six speed. I have the AEM fitted now and just waiting for a map. Then I will organise a power run.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

2mad wrote:
MRV6 wrote:Hi Bob, I had a 1mz with a trd supercharger on and was going to invest in some stronger internals etc. When Paul (Woods) was going on about how good these 2gr engines were. My 1mz was producing something like 288 bhp and 260ft/lbs of torque. Anyhow I ended up going for the 2gr and honestly mate if you can afford one get one. With some breathing mods your looking at 325 bhp and bags of low down torque.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v300/UK_MRV6/url001.jpg[/URL]

I'll pencil you in mate :wink:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

MRV6 wrote:
Hi Gav, how are things mate? Don't know I had the dyno done on the tubby box, I've not had her on the rollers yet with the six speed. I have the AEM fitted now and just waiting for a map. Then I will organise a power run.

Mine still has an exhaust gremlin - but wrt to power runs the 6 speed drastically changes the applied ratio - Charlie at SRR did one in 4th and it came out low (270-280 I think), then another one in 3rd and it came out high (somewhere around yours). As many have said its really an indication of health as opposed to an absolute, universal figure unless tested beside other cars of the same setup (gearing).
Would like to see yours now the AEM is on it. The vids of Goukys race car are insane.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

MRV6 wrote:
2mad wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v300/UK_MRV6/url001.jpg[/URL]

I wish so much , if you ever passing milton keynes and have 5 minutes for a blast i'll show the the world famous concrete cows :lol:

Got any pics mate ?
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

gavsdavs wrote:
MRV6 wrote:

Mine still has an exhaust gremlin - but wrt to power runs the 6 speed drastically changes the applied ratio - Charlie at SRR did one in 4th and it came out low (270-280 I think), then another one in 3rd and it came out high (somewhere around yours). As many have said its really an indication of health as opposed to an absolute, universal figure unless tested beside other cars of the same setup (gearing).
Would like to see yours now the AEM is on it. The vids of Goukys race car are insane.

I'm hoping to get the latest map through soon, needs some work on the drive-ability. Then I'll find a rolling road, the problem is the rolling road I used before are not in business any more. Would have been nice to get a comparison.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

2mad wrote:
MRV6 wrote:
2mad wrote:

I wish so much , if you ever passing milton keynes and have 5 minutes for a blast i'll show the the world famous concrete cows :lol:

Got any pics mate ?

Hmm that would be a combined 20 years worth of driving for the car :D

2gr ready to go in.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”